Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal crock pot recipes? page 2

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I make lots of curry in mine - although my Sri Lanken cooking teacher was horrified when I told her - it works well for my palate.

Thai Green Curry - frozen chicken legs (about 8), 2tablespoons green curry paste (homemade if you have it), can of coconut cream and season to taste with fish sauce, I also added a chopped leak and some green beans for the last hour. You can just double the recipe for enough to last a few days.

Beef curry - 500-600g stewing beef, curry paste or powder to taste (they vary), tin of diced tomatoes - or fresh, cooked onion and garlic, salt, and whatever vege you have laying around - I like diced pumpkin and spinich or capsicum, just before serving stir through coconut cream or yogurt.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Throw a large (3 - 4lbs) pork butt roast in the crock pot.

Add half a large white onion, chopped into chunks around it.

Add about 5 - 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled.

A ton of fresh rosemary.

Salt and pepper the snot out of it.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

You're welcome.

A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    My favorite, crockpot green pork chili (I'm starting a pot this morning):

4 lbs. diced pork
    32 ounces diced green chilis
    1 can (14 oz.) chipotle diced tomatoes (Muir Glen brand organic, from health food store)--Rotel would probably be okay sub or fresh diced tomatoes
    16 ounces jar salsa verde
    2 medium onions, diced
    garlic to taste
    24-32 oz. free range chicken broth
    2 t. cumin
    1 T. cilantro (dried)
    S & P

Quick to make and 8 hours in crockpot on low. It's good with grated cheese, served with fried plantain chips, maybe a Norcal margarita on the side.....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I use this recipe with chicken or rabbit. tastes great. I don't use the honey thou - not part of my primal lifestyle, so you can delete this if you want to. If you do delete it thou, you will have to change the name. LOL

Honey glazed chicken
    (Serves 4 people)

4 chicken breasts or legs
    2tsp butter
    2 Tbsp honey
    1 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp salt

Turn the slow cooker (crockpot) onto high

Measure all the ingredients into a small, shallow bowl.
    Microwave or heat until the honey and butter are liquid, then
    stir everything together thoroughly.

Turn the chicken pieces in the honey glaze mixture to coat as evenly as possible, then put into the slow cooker bowl and drizzle with the remaining glaze.

Put the lid on the cooker and cook on high for 3 hours, then turn down to low.
    Chicken should be cooked after 2 hours on low, but leave for another hour if desired.
    Serve with the remaining juices spooned over the chicken.
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 09-29-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: changed an s for an f
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Since I'm obsessed w pumpkin this time of year I like to,ale pumpkin turkey chilli. I usually make it on the stovetop, but it can easily be tossed in the crockpot. Cooking it right now actually!

Someone actually posted this last yr and wholefoods just reposted this wk. http://http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread20177.html

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Pork Roast + seasonings + 8-9 hours= awesome.

I do BBQ, a more tex mex with chile and lime, apples and cider vinegar.... You can use the pork for so much.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    This was last night's dinner, the sweet potatoes soaked up the chili flavor and added body. We had pao de queijo (brazilian cheese "bread") with it, those little rolls are super dense and filling!

Sweet Potato Chili

1 lb. grass fed ground beef
    2 medium sweet potatoes, diced to the approximate size of kidney beans
    1/2 to 1 chopped sweet yellow onion
    1 large can (28oz) diced tomatoes (or fresh if you have them)
    1 small can diced tomatoes with green chiles (or a seeded and diced jalapeno)
    1+ tablespoon chili powder
    1+ teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1+ clove minced garlic
    S&P to taste

Brown ground beef in a frying pan (in my case, I have a metal crock pot, so it's a one-pot deal), add minced onion once it's starting to brown and release liquid, then garlic just before ground beef is finished. If you don't have grass-fed beef, I recommend draining off the fat, and adding a little stock to make up for the loss of juices. Grass-fed is typically not so greasy that the fat is off-putting in the final dish, plus the fats are healthier. Also, during this cooking step I usually dust the beef with a generous coating of chili powder, a little garlic powder, and S&P (this is outside of the listed amounts, hence the +).

Dump the meat, tomatoes, and seasonings into your slow cooker, and cook for...hm... I'm guessing 6-8 hours on low, 3-4 on high. I winged this around lunch time and my (unusual) slow cooker has a dial rather than low/high settings, so I played with it a lot during the afternoon. Add sweet potatoes about an hour (again, guessing--cook until tender but not falling apart) before serving. Serve with your favorite chili garnishes--for us it was sour cream and shredded cheese.

Tonight's crock-pot dinner is local pastured pork kielbasa with Bubbies fermented sauerkraut and red cabbage (chosen by my 4yo whose fave color is purple). I just tossed the kielbasa in (it's raw, so I couldn't slice it) with the sauerkraut this morning, then added the cabbage a little while ago. That wasn't really planned, but the cabbage I had in the fridge had gone bad without my knowledge, so I had to grab some at the Piggly Wiggly. Hopefully it'll be tender enough by dinnertime.

abexman is offline Member
    Gonna try this! How do you make the pao de queijo (brazilian cheese "bread")?

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    This is the recipe I used: Easy Brazilian Cheese Bread (Po de Queijo) Recipe | Simply Recipes Just keep in mind they're really filling and it doesn't hit you right away. My husband had a stomach ache because he ate too many of them! Tapioca flour/starch is pretty carby too, so this was definitely a (grain-free) 20% treat.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I like using my crock pot for pork, beef, chicken, chili, etc, but I'm usually unmotivated to look up a recipe and measure stuff. I pretty much take any kind of meat (not too lean) and throw in whatever veggies I have on hand and whatever spices I feel like that day. I've never had any issues doing it this way. Crock pot cooking is pretty forgiving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast