Thread: Easy on the root veg page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Easy on the root veg

Shop Now
    This is something I read fairly often, almost every day I'm eating carrots, parsnips, beetroot and such things.

I also get in a good variety of other veg, but my question is, why are we supposed to go easy on root veggies!?

*edit* I generally don't bother with sweet potatoes etc, the veg mentioned above tend to be my regular items, with turnip occasionally.
    Last edited by smilingjustalittlebit; 09-27-2012 at 07:00 AM.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Who says to go easy on it? If Mark did, my guess is that he said it just because they are generally carb-dense and he has said in that past that he prefers that people get most of their carbs from less carb-dense veggies and fruit. Based on some of his more recent blog posts, I think he would be more approving of higher root vegetable consumption.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    why are we supposed to go easy on root veggies!?
    I think it's because they contain comparatively large amounts of carbs when compared to meat, fish, eggs and cabbage etc.

I eat my primal breakfast and lunch then whatever my boss cooks for dinner. I have cut down on potatoes but still eat them very regularly. Now if I could just persuade her to have liver more often.....
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I love root vegetables and eat lots of them, but if you are trying to watch carbs they might be problematic. I'm not worried about carb intake, so I eat them as much as I want. Speaking of which, I got a big bunch of beets in my csa--yum!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Thunderchild is offline Member
    Too carb dense for me. I do eat potatoes once a month or so. I am a green leaf fanatic!! Spinach and kale being my favorites. I just had the best raw kale salad I have ever had!! It was at Wegman's grocery store. They were advertising a white balsamic vinegar salad dressing. Talk about good. I was hooked.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    If it's just a carb content thing then I'm grand with that, it's working well for me.

Thanks guys.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    If it's just a carb content thing then I'm grand with that, it's working well for me.

Thanks guys.
    Yup. Lots of people (Kurt Harris, for example) feel that starchy tubers are second only to fatty, delicious animal products as nutrient-dense sources of energy.