Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to drop the last 3-5 lbs and I have an idea... page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am experiencing the same thing, I feel like I literally eat nothing but globs of goo.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that eating more meat would help you lose weight. I just was wondering how you manage on so little. I tried Paleobird's eat moar fat thing and I just couldn't keep up with it. I like fish, I like meat, I like veggies and eating a lot of dollops of creamy fatty things while trying not to overdo it on calories wasn't sustainable for me in the long run. But then look at how amazing she looks and how mediocre I look. She's probably right and I'm wrong, but I just get too hungry if I don't eat some actual food you can chew and swallow, you know?
    No, but you are correct. I need to eat more protein (animal) to keep me satiated. I am certain I nibble here and chow down there because I'm not getting enough protein. I've noticed that in the past. Took a look at my food journal and noticed when I ate fattier proteins and less carbs my weight got closer to the 117 mark. That, coupled with attention to carbs and cutting out chocolate/nuts might do the trick.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find the impact of this temporary, and seem to be connected with water rebound. It does seem to tighten the body, but long term, it bounces back for me.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Well, I didn't fast!

Ate a bowl of pan fried ground lamb, bacon, onion and cabbage. Heavy on the lamb and bacon.

I know I can drop weight eating meat and fat. My entire PB journey began after my trip out west this summer where I ate nothing but beef (lots of it) and fish for 2 weeks; the only work out being hiking around the parks with the kids and sitting in the car. I came home several pounds lighter. Not eating the sugar and the carbs works for me, apparently.

I just don't want to throw in the towel. I don't believe my body's new set point is 5lbs heavier just because I am 5 years older. That can't be true.

Heading to the gym tonight before I pick up my new foster puppy, Jet. Puppy lovin' will do me good.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think that the closer you are to your "right" weight, the more even occasional binges can affect you. While I realize that calories in calories out isn't carved in stone, the thing is that the number of calories needed to sustain you at say 120 pounds isn't that different from the calories needed to sustain you at 115 pounds. It's a lot easier to lose five pounds when you are 100 pounds overweight than when you are five pounds overweight. This is why a lot of people say that the last five are the hardest to lose.

Also, the scale doesn't represent what you ate yesterday. So, let's say you overate five days ago. You breathe a sigh of relief that it doesn't show up on the scale the next morning. You go back to eating the way you need to in order to lose weight, only to see a slight increase in your weight. But that increase is from what happened five days ago.

Some foods will show up the next day - salty foods, high carb foods - mostly because they affect water retention. But for the most part it takes awhile for an excess (or deficit) of calories to show up on the scale.

You'll get there.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    I was concerned by this comment:

"fighting to stay out of menopause"

You can 'fight' all you want, but menopause is a natural part of life, and your body will process you through it whenever it's ready. I'm amazed that you think you can control this.

I was also glad to read that some of you can't deal with the 'high fat' movement which is taking over everywhere. I do best with protein, low carb, and whatever fat is in my wild salmon and grass-fed bison. I will use olive oil and/or butter lightly to make an omelet or season veggies, but that's it. I've tried high fat, and I feel best NOT eating fat at that level.

I read somewhere that 'senior' women do better with moderate fat (I'm 71) so that may be why I prefer my protein-rich diet. I think we all need to find our own best balance and beware of trying to fit ourselves into what works best for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I was concerned by this comment:

"fighting to stay out of menopause"

You can 'fight' all you want, but menopause is a natural part of life, and your body will process you through it whenever it's ready. I'm amazed that you think you can control this.
    That was a bit tongue in cheek; my fighting menopause comment. I have not been happy to see my periods get spotty and few and far between over the past year. I'm not ready to let my fertility go, and too young to be a grandmother! HOWEVER, I have had a period each of the 3 months I've been eating Primally. That has not happened in over a year. I think that is very interesting.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    yes, definitely cut out the chocolate and the nuts. and the raisins. and the big giant bowls of carby squash!!

if meat's not your thing (i go in phases), eat more eggs and fish like salmon and sardines.

am quite sure nobody looks at you and thinks, "WOW -- she really needs to lose 3 pounds. what a whale!!" ya know? but i understand that you need it for you. it may just be more a matter of patience and body recomp, vs. a number on the scale. i will be 49 in a few days and very little inside me works like it used to.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    and yeah for a puppy!!!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Also, the scale doesn't represent what you ate yesterday. So, let's say you overate five days ago. You breathe a sigh of relief that it doesn't show up on the scale the next morning. You go back to eating the way you need to in order to lose weight, only to see a slight increase in your weight. But that increase is from what happened five days ago.
    ^ THIS! Definitely...usually it's at least 2 days before my "bad" decision catches up to my scale...which usually means you CONTINUE those bad nibbles because the scale isnt immediately moving....spiral.

I LOVE fat...so, loving the MOAR fat movement! Agree with the no nuts and no chocolate though---I did BOTH of these and the scale started to move for me!

And you mention menopause...your hormones play greatly into your weight as well IMO. Both chocolate and nuts are more "estrogenic" foods I believe.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast