Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros/cons of fasting after eating junk food page

bdilla is offline Senior Member

Pros/cons of fasting after eating junk food

I just ate pizza, a sub sandwich, fried breaded wings, and four cookies. I'm a certified fatass.

I know, it's obviously better to have a steady paleo/primal intake before fasting; especially for easier transition into ketosis.

But, I ask you Primal people, will the fasting still be effective after a junk food binge? I plan on fasting from now until Monday (I won't have money for groceries until then, so I'm kinda forced to.)

ps: I'm doing it as kind of a cleanse/reset button. I want to flush my body out, let my digestive system calm down (it's been a hectic month of drinking, school stress, and poor diet decisions). It's not really about the weight loss, more of a buffer between the bullshit I've been eating and a fresh, committed start to eating the Primal way.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    May make it a little more difficult (eating carbs gives me "aftershock" cravings) but it shouldn't be any less effective.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It'll be tougher to do, that is for sure, but no less effective and useful for you. Go for it! Maybe see how long you can last before you feel like you just HAVE to eat something.

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I do the same thing when my sugar cravings get out of control, usually due to eating too much fruit, and it helps me out a lot. I don't normally go for more than 24-36 hours, though.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I always do a 24 hour fast after a blowout. Gives my body a chance to rest and i usually train at the end of that fast as well.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    My own experience: I have been eating 1 meal a day for the past 2 years. Low carb primal food only. No real cheats. My cheats are too much cheese/honey dew melon/grapefruit once every few months.

I can still put on weight if I eat too much during that 1 meal per day.

Male, mid 40's, lift heavy 3 x a week, sprint once a week, only take the stairs (and I live on the 12th floor). Lost around 100lbs with a primal lifestyle and have visible abs for the first time in my life.

My point is, if you have much fat to lose, try to stick with 100% primal eating until it becomes a habit, otherwise, it's just too easy to do endless "resets" and never get to where you want to be. And fasting for 24 hours and then over-eating or vice versa won't do anything for fat loss, even if you eat fully primal foods, let alone junk food.

Feverdiva is offline Junior Member
    But, I ask you Primal people, will the fasting still be effective after a junk food binge? I plan on fasting from now until Monday (I won't have money for groceries until then, so I'm kinda forced to.)

You're not eating until MONDAY?????? My God, the willpower......how do you do that?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    No willpower involved if there's no food in the house, unless it is willpower to avoid begging or stealing.

Hmmm, that seems to come out snarky no matter how I put it. Snarkiness is not my intent, just an observation that if there's no food, things are different. Very primal, in a sense, though it begs the question of why blow your last food dollars on pizza, etc. Maybe it was free food?

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    It wasn't free, I was just a sucker and really wanted some damn pizza. It's 4:10pm now and I haven't eaten since midnight last night. Already starving, lol. I can get through it, though. I've done a 72 hour fast before, just double that! lol
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fasting after a carb blowout... ugh.

Stay hydrated, and good luck.

IMO, fast (longer fasts) after fatting up... as in eat plenty of fat, VLC, hit Ketosis, then fast.
    Much easier on you.

I naturally fall into the one meal a day camp as well, most days.
    It's just more comfortable for me... and takes no effort at all.
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast