Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrates no quite understanding??? page

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

Nitrates no quite understanding???

Shop Now
    I should probably know this but I don't. I found some bacon without added sugar but it is loaded with nitrates.
    Primal/paleo says do not eat nitrates but I am not sure why?????

Thanks guys for helping me to understand this!!

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Sodium Nitrate (which is usually used to preserve pork) is not harmful at all, and we eat nitrates everyday with our vegetables as they soak up the nitrates from the soil. You don't need to worry about nitrates, mark has a post on bacon here A Quick Guide to Bacon | Mark's Daily Apple

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    We have to avoid nitrates and nitrites because they trigger migraines in my SO.

ETA: we buy uncured bacon. Delish, and not as salty. More meaty-flavored.
    Last edited by Miscellangela; 09-26-2012 at 02:46 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    Sodium Nitrate (which is usually used to preserve pork) is not harmful at all, and we eat nitrates everyday with our vegetables as they soak up the nitrates from the soil. You don't need to worry about nitrates, mark has a post on bacon here A Quick Guide to Bacon | Mark's Daily Apple
    +1
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi kiwigal - do you mind sharing what brand you found? - assuming you are actually living in NZ, lol. I get the Freedom Farms or Hellers Free Farms brands, depending on which one is on special.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    There usually isn't that much sugar in bacon either, so don't even bother buying "no sugar added" varieties. With bacon I just buy whichever brand is on sale that week.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It depends.

Some people have an issue with migraines and other assorted "joys" from nitrates and nitrates.

Sadly, that includes the ones that say "Uncured!" and "No added nitrates or nitrites!", then in microscopic letters whisper "other than that naturally occuring in celery seed/salt/juice". Actually, those have been shown to have more nitrates. Sucks for those of us that have a sensitivity to it.

And before anyone gets their panties in a wad:
    1) Yes, it's real and not psychosomatic
    2) I don't care if it's in other foods
    3) I never said other people without a sensitivity couldn't eat it, so chill out and have another piece of bacon, knowing in your heart that I would if I could and I'm insanely jealous of your ability to eat bacon pain-free
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hi kiwigal - do you mind sharing what brand you found? - assuming you are actually living in NZ, lol. I get the Freedom Farms or Hellers Free Farms brands, depending on which one is on special.
    This wasn't directed at me, but the brand I like from PakNSave is Hendersons Bacon (500g). Take a look at the ingredient list the next time you are in the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    There usually isn't that much sugar in bacon either, so don't even bother buying "no sugar added" varieties. With bacon I just buy whichever brand is on sale that week.

Don't buy bacon with sugar and water added to it when there's a decent alternative. Just don't.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post

Sorry I"m from Auckland but now live in Minneapolis USA. I usually buy a brand at Rainbow foods that has no added sugar but Whole foods carries the Applegate one. Wasn't sure?

Thanks guys!!!

So do the majority of you buy the Applegate bacon???

That has added sugar but no nitrates??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast