Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grain-loving mom just got diagnosed with diverticulosis page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Grain-loving mom just got diagnosed with diverticulosis

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

My mom was recently diagnosed with diverticulosis. She and I don't get along very well, but I still care about her. Part of the reason we don't get along is because she has bought into CW 110% and thinks my lifestyle (high fat, high protein, low carb, grain and dairy free) is dangerous.

She eats TONS of grains. I'm almost 100% convinced that this is what caused her problems in the first place. Is there any way I can convince her to lay off the muesli breakfasts and the sandwiches for lunch (on bread that makes nice claims on the package but is full of nasty shit, which, if I point that out to her, she tells me I need to relax, a little bit of something's not gonna kill me, etc.)?

I've tried explaining to her that living in a perpetual state of carb-burning is not a good idea, but she insists that eating a lot of fat is even worse. If I try to press her as to why she thinks that or where she got her info, she'll shut me down, say she's not trying to have a debate, things like that.

She's one who thinks all diseases can be cured with "fiber," thus the grain-eating. She's still doing some processed grains, too, like Cheerios and "whole wheat flour"... Thinks organic food is a "hoax"...

Is there anything I can do to convince her to cut down on grains? Any articles linking overconsumption of grains to diverticulosis or other intestinal disorders?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 09-26-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    I have not read it but perhaps the book Fiber Menace should be on the reading list.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing you can do, except to keep your own eating habits healthy.

As much as you may care about her (I too have a fat unhealthy mother) she won't change unless she wants to, and my guess is that most people don't want to. Change is difficult for people because it means venturing into the unknown, and sometimes for them, "the devil they know is better than the devil they don't."
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Are we the same person? My mother is having horrible colon issues, of course, the Dr.s have told her to up fiber and even prescribed a extra strength metamucil. Of course, she is still miserable. Poor thing, 73 goes #2 10-12 times a day. I discussed with her laying off the gluton, but she only has one kidney with minimal function, so she feels the extra vegetables (potassium) would be dangerous.

She has told me with tears in her eyes how she feels my brother and I (both primal) will develop diverticulitis because there is no way to get enough fiber. The good Drs give her "great information on increasing grains". She has lost well over 100 pounds in the last 6 years, by eating less. However, she has lost a kidney, her gall bladder, increasing colon problems... Funny, she takes the Drs advice while in the same breath stating she doesn't trust them. She see's my brother and I regularly enough to know we are healthy.

Sorry to go rant on your post, but I think this is part of becoming adult children, we are set up to now worry about our parents.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, my parents think I'm weird. Even though my dad will get on any gimmick to lose weight.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

HilaryJ is offline Junior Member
    Elsevier

This is only an abstract ... you'd have to pony up $30 to read the whole study, but the conclusions are noted on the abstract.

Conclusions
    A high-fiber diet and increased frequency of bowel movements are associated with greater, rather than lower, prevalence of diverticulosis. Hypotheses regarding risk factors for asymptomatic diverticulosis should be reconsidered.

p.s. ... as a parent of adult children, I know how hard it is to take "direction" and/or counsel from some one you diapered. Especially when we had to endure the years where said child knew it all so well encyclopedias were not necessary in the house. The best thing you can do is wait patiently for her to ask you. She knows you are doing something different and eventually, hopefully, she will come to the conclusion that if she keeps doing what she's always done, her outcome will not change. She will need to want to change. Let her ask you.

In the meantime, is there someone mutually acquainted with the both of you who could help you reach her ... without her knowing it's you behind the "intervention"?
    Last edited by HilaryJ; 09-26-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: to add the ps

Tercio is offline Senior Member
    I have diverticulosis, my GE Dr. said I have the gut of an 80 year old man. I am 60. It was discovered in a colonoscopy. But I've never had an attack of diverticulitis. Since going primal my gut feels and performs a lot better. Before I had bloating and constipation occasionally to the point of discomfort. I tried the recommended high fiber approach and it only made things worse. Something like metamucil would feel like a block of concrete was passing through my gut. This is part of what led me to search for another way. Primal is much lower bulk and now everything works out just fine, so to speak. TMI maybe, but to paraphrase, insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result. Sometimes you have to try something new, and sometimes (like primal) it works.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    Wow! Are we the same person? My mother is having horrible colon issues, of course, the Dr.s have told her to up fiber and even prescribed a extra strength metamucil. Of course, she is still miserable. Poor thing, 73 goes #2 10-12 times a day. I discussed with her laying off the gluton, but she only has one kidney with minimal function, so she feels the extra vegetables (potassium) would be dangerous.

She has told me with tears in her eyes how she feels my brother and I (both primal) will develop diverticulitis because there is no way to get enough fiber. The good Drs give her "great information on increasing grains". She has lost well over 100 pounds in the last 6 years, by eating less. However, she has lost a kidney, her gall bladder, increasing colon problems... Funny, she takes the Drs advice while in the same breath stating she doesn't trust them. She see's my brother and I regularly enough to know we are healthy.

Sorry to go rant on your post, but I think this is part of becoming adult children, we are set up to now worry about our parents.
    "I can't see the forest for the trees"....... unfortunate but not within your control....
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tercio View Post
    I have diverticulosis, my GE Dr. said I have the gut of an 80 year old man. I am 60. It was discovered in a colonoscopy. But I've never had an attack of diverticulitis. Since going primal my gut feels and performs a lot better. Before I had bloating and constipation occasionally to the point of discomfort. I tried the recommended high fiber approach and it only made things worse. Something like metamucil would feel like a block of concrete was passing through my gut. This is part of what led me to search for another way. Primal is much lower bulk and now everything works out just fine, so to speak. TMI maybe, but to paraphrase, insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting a different result. Sometimes you have to try something new, and sometimes (like primal) it works.
    I have diverticulosis, as do most N.A. adults. But it wasn't till I tried an Atkinized low carb diet that I ended up with an attack of diverticulitis that almost landed me in hospital. Why? Apparently I was also celiac, and divesting myself of grains removed roughage and took me from a 3xdaily BM to once every 3-4 days. It took time for my dying body to adapt, but in a year I lost 80 lbs and felt more like living. I regained 20 lbs., but kept off most for 11 years. Then I recently discovered primal, which corresponded to my life instincts. And got diverticulitis again while following the leptin reset. This time I feel our contaminated village water contributed hugely to my problems, even tho' we now buy bottled water. So primal is not necessarily a defense against continued diverticulosis, but it sure beats being celiac and maybe being dead already!

Cal. is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    She's one who thinks all diseases can be cured with "fiber," thus the grain-eating. She's still doing some processed grains, too, like Cheerios and "whole wheat flour"... Thinks organic food is a "hoax"...

Bear in mind that anyone going from high carb to minimal carb needs to transition from one to the other s-l-o-w-l-y.

Just my two cents. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast