Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Causes the "Pear" Shape in Men? page 2

Chorlton is offline Senior Member

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That looks like the bad kind of fat. You will probably benefit just fine on the primal blueprint diet just as is and probably pretty quickly.

You could also try a test to determine your individual level of carbohydrate intolerance, so you know whether or not you need to worry about the carb curve or not. There are a number of people in the forum who think the carb curve is bad. But it might just be what you need. This web page suggests determining your need before you go to all the trouble of cutting carbs:

Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Hi sbhikes, I've cut carbs plenty already. I just stopped tracking but Im definitely somwhere around the 100g mark. Im eating mostly eggs, chicken, fish and low carb veggies (though i have started to allow things like peas that are not strictly primal). I also eat a lot of full fat yogurt (with a bit of honey on top) and coconut fat by the tbsp! Oh, and almonds!

I imagine my lifelong crazy sweet tooth has caused this problem. I am eating absolutely zero sugar on a daily basis though, though I did allow myself some dark chocololate over the weekend which probably pushed the carbs up over 100g.

Is this okay you think? Obviously Im a bit worried about this now...

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry. You have started and now there is a chance to reverse it. Besides stress is bad too. Be happy you know what to do.
    Keep doing what you are doing. For me, I went totally by what Mark said to do for weightloss and to convert my body from a sugar burner to a fat burner. I ate no sugar, not even honey or chocolate, for at least two months (and kept carbs to 50grams or less), before I added them back very occaisionally.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Hi sbhikes, I've cut carbs plenty already. I just stopped tracking but Im definitely somwhere around the 100g mark. Im eating mostly eggs, chicken, fish and low carb veggies (though i have started to allow things like peas that are not strictly primal). I also eat a lot of full fat yogurt (with a bit of honey on top) and coconut fat by the tbsp! Oh, and almonds!

I imagine my lifelong crazy sweet tooth has caused this problem. I am eating absolutely zero sugar on a daily basis though, though I did allow myself some dark chocololate over the weekend which probably pushed the carbs up over 100g.

Is this okay you think? Obviously Im a bit worried about this now...
    Give it time. By the way, do you drink a lot of beer? Could be a beer belly, too. In any case, it takes time to lose real weight. You'll get there. But watch the overeating. Coconut fat by the tbsp isn't necessary and almond binges aren't going to help you. Have some red meat and eat bigger meals of real meat and veggies slathered in butter so you don't have to snack on relatively nutrient-poor stuff like coconut oil by the spoonful and almonds and yogurt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    A certain amount of belly size is natural when relaxed or digesting a meal. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

If the belly isn't flat during exercise on an empty stomach, then you have actual visceral fat.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Just looking at it, it looks more flabby than firm? If it's flabby, that means it's over the muscle, not under~ not necessarily prettier, but not as bad health wise. So, does it jiggle, or it is it hard, like a preggy belly? Inquiring minds.......

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    You're not enormously fat, so I wouldn't say you're in the "danger" zone right now! Just eat a good clean primal diet and follow the recommendations, and it should come off. A lot of men are prone to belly fat! I also agree that it looks flabby rather than firm... my husband's is much firmer and my scales tell him his visceral fat is high (and it's lots higher than mine, for all that I visually LOOK fatter than him because he seems much "firmer").

Either way, it's possible to lose the fat and improve your health, so don't despair!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Give it time. By the way, do you drink a lot of beer? Could be a beer belly, too. In any case, it takes time to lose real weight. You'll get there. But watch the overeating. Coconut fat by the tbsp isn't necessary and almond binges aren't going to help you. Have some red meat and eat bigger meals of real meat and veggies slathered in butter so you don't have to snack on relatively nutrient-poor stuff like coconut oil by the spoonful and almonds and yogurt.
    I've drank a lot all my adult life unfortunately. About a year and a half ago I pretty much stopped dead though as I became a pretty serious meditator and alcohol interferes with progress... but I've also been known to eat 3 chic bars a day at times, and have an insatiable appetite for anything sweet...

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Just looking at it, it looks more flabby than firm? If it's flabby, that means it's over the muscle, not under~ not necessarily prettier, but not as bad health wise. So, does it jiggle, or it is it hard, like a preggy belly? Inquiring minds.......
    Feels fairly firm to me. Im due to do my 2wk photos today though so later on I think I'll start a journal about this and post the pics. hopefully i'll have made some small progress already!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast