Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D'oh! Appliances page 2

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    I too use the ricecooker as a steamer. Makes the perfect steamed mushrooms and other vegies that goes with a huge steak.

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    My toaster is still in the basement, but I did pull it out when the in-laws were visiting. I tried my darndest to give them delicious primal meals, but alas I also ended up making them bread (at least I avoided letting them buy crappy bread from the store). It's fine to leave it down there I suppose for those kinds of occassions, as it's not taking up counter space anymore! I guess if you made primal waffles or pancakes they would be good in the toaster, but I've only done shredded coconut pancakes which heat up better on the stove.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a toaster anymore, still have the toaster oven, but can't remember the last time I used it. I keep it for incase I want to warm up something small... Still have and use the microwave though. I fortunately have enough counter space to keep out the mixer, food processor, and crock pot full time. It's funny though, my most used "appliance" would have to be the big block cutting board hehehe It has a permanent spot between my sink and stove.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I've still got my bread maker. I just got it like two years ago as a present - I was so freaking excited about it too. I use my microwave to heat up soup & things, though, so I'll be keeping that. I suppose I should let my rice cooker, toaster, & bread machine move on to someone else...
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    For a somewhat more Primal cooking appliance, perhaps a rocket stove? My sister just gave me this one for my birthday.

http://www.stovetec.net/us/index.php

The plain, one-door model. I'm planning to make a little table out on the deck, topped with cement pavers, to provide a convenient platform for using this rocket stove and also (on sunny days) the solar oven. No leaning over, everything easily within reach, and some extra (fireproof) room on the table for setting pots and pans and casserole dishes. One could keep the prepared fuel (small sticks, mostly, extremely dry) in a rack far enough underneath the table that sparks, etc. from the stove couldn't reach them. A fire extinguisher on the lower shelf. And the smallest kindling in a big covered tin, like the one which contained the atrocious popcorn some kids sold for a school project a few years ago. (If I do that again, [encourage the youth] I plan to keep the tin and compost the popcorn.)

This is a neat company. You can buy one stove, and they will give another stove to someone in the Third World, so they can stop breathing smoke and hauling huge loads of firewood for miles each day, or spending most of their meager incomes on kerosene for cooking.

I like this idea, that I can keep my garden trimmings, rose bush canes, pruned grape vines, tree prunings, and little sticks picked up on walks in open forest land, cut them to about a foot long, dry them till they are completely dry, and then turn them to heat and wood ash (for the garden.) All outdoors in the summer or spring or fall, when it is too much bother to fire up the masonry stove, and especially when it is too hot to want to cook indoors, heating up the kitchen.

It seems in some way Grokish, even though the Grok family didn't have a garden and use wood ash in it.

This stove might be a natural for roasting peppers on an open flame to char and remove the skins. Small, uses little fuel, can run clean and hot with very little smoke after a minute or so when the fire first starts. Using the right kind of wood for roasting the peppers, one might end up with something resembling chipotle.

P.S. This stove might also come in very handy in case of power failures.

Most Regretted Appliance: my Champion juicer, still sitting in the cabinet under the kitchen island. And here I thought it was a benefit that someday I might want to buy the flour-grinding attachment for it. I did like that juicer, though I haven't used it in years. Now juices seem too carbi-ish, especially carrot juice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12