Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal and "silent" reflux (asthma symptoms) page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I had awful reflux a few years back. What I ended up doing was not eating after 6:00 pm.

ayumi is offline Member
    Has anyone tried taking bromelain? I have digestive issues and it helps. Once I hurt my stomach eating the wrong kind of food (tater tots) and couldn't eat much for a week. 1-2 bromelain capsules a day helped clear it up in a few days.

(Bromelain is an enzyme from pineapples. It's easily found at a vitamin store)

MACH23 is offline Junior Member
    This sounds just like what I've been having for the past few months, here's my story... I started experiencing chest pain a day after I went on a run in cold weather, it was also during the holidays so I was binging on unhealthy food every night. The pain started getting progressively worse over the next few weeks, exercise made it worse, I was eating mostly primal at the time too. I wasn't sure if I'd developed exercise induced asthma or acid reflux or something, one doctor told me it was costochondritis, another told me it was acid reflux, I'm not sure I believe either of them. Over the months the pain sort transferred from my chest to my throat, it feels like a breathing problem, like being unable to inhale fully while running, the docs tell me my lungs and heart are fine though. I've been keeping a pretty consistent food log to see if it is at all diet related, I haven't really made many conclusions though. It has kind of discouraged me from eating a high fat low carb primal diet, because that's what I was doing for the most part when this started. It's also discouraged me from exercising as much as I'd like to, because it always worsens. I've noticed on some days when I eat a ton of fruit and vegetables and low amounts of meat I feel pretty good throughout the day, and a coffee/omelette first thing in the morning tends to trigger some pain, maybe even caffeine in general. Other than those two conclusions I haven't really noticed anything, just slowly trying to get over this annoying condition.

SpitFire is online now Senior Member
    I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with me for a couple years now. Silent Reflux sounds the closest. I have a very hard time inhaling, every day, for most of the day. Only every now and then can I get a full breath. I have a few of the symptoms, with the trouble breathing and post nasal drip being the worst.
    Thank you for posting this. I'm going to adjust my diet (no peppers or garlic!!! ) and see if it helps.

lprguy is offline Junior Member
    Sure, I have had some success. After my diagnosis however I was so frustrated with the lack of answers that I wrote my ebook, "All About LPR: The Silent Reflux Story". This book chronicles the medical world's opinion on all aspects of LPR from diagnosis to surgery. Believe me, physicians and researchers are not in universal agreement about any of these aspects of this disease - and that certainly applies to diet. My book has a chapter on diet, and includes a discussion of Jamie Koufman's ideas as well as many others. Because research continues on LPR, I have a blog that updates this research at allaboutlpr.tumblr.com. Best of luck to you.

Gondore is offline Junior Member
    Anyone on this thread have any updates? I would love to communicate with any of you via email to hear what has worked for you or just to discuss this issue in general.

star is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondore View Post
    Anyone on this thread have any updates?
    Some useful remedies in treating acid reflux and asthma together, controlling symptoms of GERD with lifestyle changes may help,
    Diet, losing excess weight
    Quitting smoking and alcohol
    Avoiding foods that contribute to acid reflux, including alcoholic or caffeinated beverages, chocolate, citrus fruits, fried and fatty foods, garlic, mint,onions, spicy foods, tomato-based foods -pizza, salsa, and spaghetti sauce
    Don't sleep with full stomach
    Eating smaller meals
    Use a humidifier when sleeping to relieve asthma triggers
    Avoiding asthma triggers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12