Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't Get the Bacon thing page

Mr. PK is offline Junior Member

I don't Get the Bacon thing

I was heading out to get some organic bacon but it turns out that there is a ton of salt, sugar and nitrates in the stuff!
    I thought Mark said you can never eat enough bacon, I would surely have to disagree as you can definitely have too many nitrates (in fact any is too much)
    That being said, I enjoyed bacon from an organic butcher shop, which I am sure still had salt and what not in it.
    Can someone tell me otherwise because I like bacon but all the salt just doesn't seem like it could be a daily thing!

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    yeah I was kinda wondering the same thing. even in the super fancy all organic places, I couldn't find any bacon that didn't have salt and some form of sugar (some had honey) in it.

theotherkim is offline Junior Member
    I think the jury is still out on nitrates/nitrites, but the following explanation made a lot of sense to me.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/...acon-make.html

Dr. Eades recommended it as "something [he] would have written." It is possible that the hysteria over cured meats is overblown.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would think that ample antioxidants would block the conversion of nitrites to carcinogens and there isn't much evidence to suggest that the amounts found in bacon have any negative effects. A common fallacy in the toxophobe camp is failing to take context into consideration. Okay so it is in the bacon and it is harmful in very large doses under the right conditions, therefore any of it at all is unacceptable and to be avoided like the plague? I think that 1 or 2 grams of sugar or such a small amount of a "toxin" that it doesn't make a difference are permissible. Salt really isn't that big a deal. There isn't THAT much in the bacon that I get.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I am sure I saw Mark write something about cured/smoked processed bacon being yucky the otherday, but I don't remember where. Maybe he meant "uncured bacon"? I've seen nitrate/sugar free bacon that wasn't organic, and of course like you plenty of additive laden "organic" bacon, so I kind of consider this a 20% food, for me.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Check out what you get locally. Some of the best bacon I've had has been smoked by local butchers, no salty taste, no huge globs of fat that never renders down....just MEAT.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Oh yes, local is definitely best. I've been buying boar locally and the bacon is just smoked. It's not salty at all, there's plenty of meat and it's absolutely delicious. I'll never go back to grocery store bacon (or any kind of meat) again.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    I buy local bacon at Whole Foods by the pound. It's great. Tastes more smoky than salty.

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member
    Hhmm........I just ate bacon yesterday and today for the first time since starting PB and loved it! I found some here in Mexico- I'm not sure if it was cured or not.......assuming it was. Perhaps I can buy pork side- is that what is it's called? I think I read somewhere on PB that it is like bacon, with no salt/ nitrates? Is this true?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It goes by many names. "Uncured bacon." Some call it "pork belly." In my region it's called "side pork."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast