Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: organ meats page 2

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

i remember eating fishbrains in a local small sushiplase in Osaka... got talking with a local couple there and ended up trying everything they suggested- n it was good!

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

rahchis is offline Junior Member

maba,

Does cow brain really taste like ghee? Damn. That sounds good. A friend of mine from Australia told me that kids would bring brain sandwiches to school for lunch when he was a kid and he could never stomach it. I, on the other hand would love that! I've always had a jones for organ meats, since I was a kid. My mother used to always deep-fry liver and onions (granted she was breading it and frying it in canola oil... not the way I prepare it today). I always loved chicken hearts, livers and gizzards. I also eat kidneys, hearts and livers of grass-fed cow, pigs, buffalo, goat and lamb. Sweet breads are heaven when grilled.

I must admit though that I despise cow spleen. Maybe I cooked it wrong, but tried to sautee it and it became a watery mess. However, the spleen if I recall is a gland and not an organ.

Now I really really wish that brain was available for sale! It should be healthy if from a cow that is 100% pastured and not cannibalizing other cows!

maba is offline Senior Member

Hi Rahchics,

I have eaten only goat brain. I must also add that most of the organ meats I've eaten is from goat/sheep or chicken. Beef was rarely made at home, when it was cooked, it was mostly pre-made burgers.

Grilled sweet-breads sound divine! Goat brain has this very creamy, buttery texture (like all brains do I reckon) and yeah, the taste is quite similar to ghee. My mum makes it with lots of onion, ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander powder, topped with finely chopped cilantro.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

oh, maba, that sounds sooo delishious.... unfortunately though ive scoured all possible markets for organ meats n never found brain...

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Peggy is offline Senior Member

seriously, Nobody's mentioned one of my all-time favourites: rumakis (sp??). Chicken livers rapped in bacon. Sometimes with chopped onion &/or water chestnuts stuffed in there too. All skewered on a tooth pick. That was always standard cocktail party fair.

Thanks for the SOG suggestion; he has some good stuff. And I love caulifower.

Brussel sprouts & liver?? sounds like a perfect meal to me! 2 of my favs. Someone around here mentioned roasted sprouts a while back & now I'm addicted to them. Toss in oilve or melted coconut oil & spinkle liberally with garam masala. Roast. Eat. Yum.

Now you've all got me intrigued with brains... I wonder if the buffalo guy will give me some...

Maba: how does one store brains? ie: can you freeze them? I'm thinking that perhaps because of their delicate nature that they won't, but seeing as I've never had them (hahaha laughing at myself there) I don't know...

maba is offline Senior Member

LOL! I've only had them in India where we it get fresh from the butcher. But I think freezing should be perfectly fine.

Speaking of organ meats, is head available here in the US? Goat/Sheep head is a delicacy where I come from. Infact, you cannot buy only head at our butcher's, it comes w/ trotter too. So when we cook head at home, it is usually accompanied by the trotter broth - super yummy!

Maba: Just came back from farmer's market & had a nice chat with the buffalo guy. He is not allowed to sell brains. So, I'll have to research the lamb/goat head options. However, I did get two hearts so I can try the anticuchos recipe. (from the beef heart thread?)I shared a copy with the rancher - he is just tickled to encounter a woman who likes to cook AND who is willing to cook innards.

Will keep you all posted on how the dish comes out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12