Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian Article: Pro-Paleo : Diet and Disease: what's the link? page 2

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    As fit & healthy as Kiwis & Aussie are, I cannot believe there's not a massive, thriving Paleo/Primal community & movement going on there. Or is there? You guys ought to network with the people notated in this article, & meet online & form a master plan to really primalize NZ & Austrailia thru Meetup.com groups & public health fairs & events. It is the natural way of things, right?

The USA is a hopeless case, lol, too much big agro money pumped into CW disinformation. Media mostly pushes the same low fat crap on TV, magazines & grocery store on-site demos & promotional campaigns & offers. I looked at "Organic Greek" yogurt on sale @ a mega-store near our apartment. 0 fat, loads of added sugar, gums & fillers & NOT cheap, even though it was on sale!

I continue to quietly make my own yogurt & kefir each week with fresh pastured cow juice from happy local cows...
    Sorry, American exceptionalism is rubbish in all respects. We're all much the same
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    "If you double your fibre intake, you halve the risk of bowel cancer, he says. Eat a high-fibre cereal, or make your own baked beans. He uses a recipe from Stephanie Alexander, which has bacon, one of the things to avoid - but he prefers everything in moderation. "

Just curious as to what high fibre foods you eat. I eat a lot of vegetables, just worrying though this may not be enough?

sunsis is offline Member
    i wouldnt go ahead and say aussies and kiwis are fit and healthy. quite the opposite. there are plenty of very unhealthy overweight people who can barely walk a single flight of stairs or can't do it at all - several of my family members included.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsis View Post
    i wouldnt go ahead and say aussies and kiwis are fit and healthy. quite the opposite. there are plenty of very unhealthy overweight people who can barely walk a single flight of stairs or can't do it at all - several of my family members included.

True... true... there are a bunch who are fit and healthy, but same with in the US... Here we've still got the typical CW diets being pounded into us. Articles in magazines about butter vs margarine, with the nutritionists STILL on the side of margarine as the "heart healthy choice"...

I don't know any other paleo/primal people (except maybe the CrossFit instructor who mentioned paleo the other day! I was sooo excited to hear the word actually being spoken by someone IN REAL LIFE), and everyone I know who tries to eat "healthily" believes it's about fruit, veg, whole grains and low fat...

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    In the UK I dont know anyone else who is Paleo. I just say I eat "real" food, not processed. Otherwise they look at you as if you are mad.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    In the UK I dont know anyone else who is Paleo. I just say I eat "real" food, not processed. Otherwise they look at you as if you are mad.
    I think that's the best way to describe it anyway! I just say I eat real food, and avoid grains and sugars. I don't go into an explanation of that (although I do get annoyed by people asking where my carbs come from lol). I figure if someone's interested, they'll ask questions.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Mulloon Institute appears to be focussed on organic farming from a CW nutritional perspective. So a lot of good but not paleo. The search continues
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just to put the Aussie offer out there, I booked half a pig, pasture raised etc. organic principles but not super strict, they're just starting out, last time I spoke to them they had 3 which should be ready to slaughter, pick up will be at an Abatoir in Picton, South of Sydney, anyone interested send me PM I will talk to them this weekend and check if it is all sold yet. They were predominantly pasture as they were using them to work over a section of dirt to start a market garden, so probably on the leaner side, not sure what they use for supplementary feed, but will ask when I talk to them.
    Will also post a new thread as well.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What I always wonder is if the soil is so deficient in magnesium everywhere and so deficient in selenium in lots of places, where are they getting the magnesium and selenium from for supplements?

That's a nice article you found, Betorq. You always find good ones.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    "If you double your fibre intake, you halve the risk of bowel cancer, he says. Eat a high-fibre cereal, or make your own baked beans. He uses a recipe from Stephanie Alexander, which has bacon, one of the things to avoid - but he prefers everything in moderation. "

Just curious as to what high fibre foods you eat. I eat a lot of vegetables, just worrying though this may not be enough?
    I would suggest this probably falls under displacement theory. I quite agree with the fella that states 3-5 veggie/fruits a day and a half a carrot is one serving....so two carrots and your good! Seems most HG's are meat centric and when they do eat something else its fruits and root veggies....those standard vegetables and leafy greans were never high on their list. I still like a good salad myself though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast