Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate lunges page 2

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hate lunges and squats. I have a bad knee and a fused ankle so it's really hard. My legs are weak though so I am trying to do more of them... even if its minimal now I hope to increase it in time. Ya jus gotta suck it up and do it I guess!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I like the idea of step-ups ... maybe I'll build a platform or something that I can use for that.

Back to the lunges thing though ... is there a fundamental difference between holding a weight over your head and just holding some at your sides? I've been mostly doing them holding 25lb overhead.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    I like the idea of step-ups ... maybe I'll build a platform or something that I can use for that.

Back to the lunges thing though ... is there a fundamental difference between holding a weight over your head and just holding some at your sides? I've been mostly doing them holding 25lb overhead.
    Overhead is more demanding when it comes to core stabilization and is a good sneaky way to develop shoulder stability.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Squats, deadlifts, running up stairs etc
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Do lunges. I do squats, lunges and RDLs on leg day. Lunges, by far, are the best/worst.

I mean, I love/hate them. Sure, they make me puke sometimes. And yes, they max out my heart rate more than sprinting, but isn't that a good thing? Nothing reminds you of how good lunges are more than trying to crawl up the stairs from the basement after a leg workout and failing.

--Me

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Tried replacing lunges with step-ups in my warmup yesterday ... meh, I think I'll go back to doing lunges. Mostly because I couldn't get into a rhythm to alternate my legs efficiently, and the posse of curlbros hanging out in the corner where I warm up certainly didn't help.
    As for my at-home workouts ... might just give in and buy more weights. Holding a circular plate over my head seems to bother me less than holding a bar (only thing I have is a curl bar, which I add 2 10lb weights to so I get 25lbs).
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I think I should have used the term 'fundamental' movements. Lunging is included in one of the 4 Pillars Of Human Movement, so I reckon it has some importance. But regarding actually doing a full lunge as part of an everyday move, no, probably not, but sections of that movement are utilised in all sorts of everyday moves when you really break it down.

Here is a little bit about testing, Gray Cook has quite a bit to say about the subject if you youtube him

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2953313/

Home - BritMMA.co.uk

The 7 Basic Human Movements - Movemo Fitness : Movemo Fitness

The Four Pillars of Human Movement

Performance U. Fitness Continuing Education | | The 5 Pillars of Functional Movement!
    Last edited by PureFunctionalFitness; 09-27-2012 at 12:21 PM.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    Overhead is more demanding when it comes to core stabilization and is a good sneaky way to develop shoulder stability.
    I like KB snatch to rear lunge for that type of thing, have you tried em???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12