Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slightly hurt back + another lifting question page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Slightly hurt back + another lifting question

Primal Fuel
    Today after doingmy SS workout I noticed a vague pain in a small spot all the way down in my lower back. I think it's because of deadlifting. I increased the weight to 200lbs today and my back was not nicely arched as normal. However it can also be caused by squatting. I'm not sure how should take the bar out of the rack and take 2 steps back with the relatively heavy weights I use now. When I stand straight up with the bar on my shoulders I feel a lot of pressure through my entire back, not pain, but pressure, I suppose this is normal. I will deload my deadlift and see how I feel afterwards. Is there any way I can find out whether the pain is caused by squatting or deadlifting?

Also, a less important question:
    Today I was bench pressing, and due to not very good form on my first set I managed only 4 reps. However the last 2 sets I did manage the 5 reps. I did an extra set of 4 because I didn't manage my 5 reps on thefirst set. Would you consider this as succeeded or failed bench press workout? (should I increase weight or leave it the same next time?)
    Billie trips balls

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Poor form can cause back pain in both the squat and the dl. Videotape yourself and post it here so we can critique, or better yet, spring for a session with a weight coach for feedback.

For your bench press, if you cannot complete your reps with good form, you cannot effectively move that weight. Do the same weight until all your sets are perfect, then move on. No need to rush, especially when you've already sorta hurt yourself with questionable form.

Big numbers don't mean squat if you're not performing the movement correctly. Nobody looks macho and tough in traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    Poor form can cause back pain in both the squat and the dl. Videotape yourself and post it here so we can critique, or better yet, spring for a session with a weight coach for feedback.

For your bench press, if you cannot complete your reps with good form, you cannot effectively move that weight. Do the same weight until all your sets are perfect, then move on. No need to rush, especially when you've already sorta hurt yourself with questionable form.

Big numbers don't mean squat if you're not performing the movement correctly. Nobody looks macho and tough in traction.
    Ok I'll try to record myself, though my gym is usually pretty empty with not always people to record me.
    Do you think I should skip my next workout, even if my back feels 100% fine, to make sure it's totally recovered?
    Billie trips balls

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    As long as there's no pain, you're good to go. Just work within whatever zone keeps you pain-free. If you ever feel a sudden, sharp "ow!" Pain (as opposed to the burn you get when you push your limits), that's your sign to back off.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    as you increase you weights, your form is more and more important. you can deadlift or bench 45lbs with shit forma and not hurt yourself. but try it with 405 and you'll never walk again. if you can't achieve the lift with proper form, maybe it's time to deload/rest and recover. or it just might not be time to increase the weight yet. or maybe increase in 1lb increments. you're not going to be able to go up 5-10lbs per week forever

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    as you increase you weights, your form is more and more important. you can deadlift or bench 45lbs with shit forma and not hurt yourself. but try it with 405 and you'll never walk again. if you can't achieve the lift with proper form, maybe it's time to deload/rest and recover. or it just might not be time to increase the weight yet. or maybe increase in 1lb increments. you're not going to be able to go up 5-10lbs per week forever
    I think at 200lbs you can still icrease by 5lbs right? I will deload to 185 or somethinh and build back up. But do you have any tips to increase with 1lb when the lowest I can add with plates is 5 lbs?
    Billie trips balls

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i used to have similar pain from time to time when i was squatting more than my bodyweight. but, it was rare and still didn't always happen when i was pushing 1.5x body weight. i realized i was also dealing with a bulging disc in my my lower back (i have 5), but form has a lot to do with it. another video would be a good idea, but that may have been an isolated incidence.

squats are a full-body movement, so keep your whole core tight when stepping back with the weight

i would repeat your bench again until you get it right the first time. it sounds like you're at a point where your progressions and stalls are going to be all over the place.

skipping your workout is really up to you. it's a good idea to do once in a while, but if you're feeling good, just be aware of any pain or discomfort during your warm up.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I think at 200lbs you can still icrease by 5lbs right? I will deload to 185 or somethinh and build back up. But do you have any tips to increase with 1lb when the lowest I can add with plates is 5 lbs?
    you can add 5 pounds when you're at 600 pounds, if you can lift it properly for the prescribed reps/sets. progress 5 pounds after you can do the exercise as written. if you can't complete it, repeat it next time. if you keep stalling, deload and build back up. if you keep having to deload, then start thinking about smaller progressions like 1-2lbs.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    thats a personal thing. if you are struggling with the lift, or your form is suffering, then the answer is no. you can't increase by 5lbs. you can order fractional plates online, or maybe try some homemade solutions like heavy washers, small chains, etc.

don't ever sacrifice form. you will get hurt. seriously hurt

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    From personal experience I've found that every single time I had that same type of back issue the cause was always not enough stabilization in the core. I also use the valsalva maneuver to stay that much tighter when I squat and deadlift.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast