Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Critique my snack page

  1. #1
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,672

    Critique my snack

    Primal Fuel
    I work in an office, for about 3-4 months now I've been getting in the habit of having the following after lunch, anytime between 1-4pm and since I work from home once a week I'll likely have this up four times in a week (each day I work) though I sometimes don't have it at all.

    frozen blueberries (sometimes also frozen strawberries)
    plain or strawberry flavored Kefir from trader joes
    some sort of nut, lately lots of brazil nuts, almonds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

    all in a bowl that's not all that big, but I can't tell you exactly how much it measures. A small soup bowl.

    I don't personally see any issues with it, all ingredients are from Trader Joe's and kefir isn't just yogurt, there's some good bacteria in that shit. The only thing I can think of is a) developing a habit (though I never think about it outside of work) b) too much sugar? I'm mostly having it with the flavored kefir over the plain c) too much selenium via brazil nuts? is that possible? I'd say I have 5-8 nuts per bowl - I think I've read you only need 1-3 for the daily recommended dose of selenium... not sure what downsides if any there are from that.

    However, I also ask from a body composition stand-point. I haven't gained any weight that I'd be unhappy with, but I suppose it could get up there on the calories and it's not something I eat because I'm truly hungry (at least not most of the time) but rather just bored and looking for something to munch on. If it wasn't for this I'd just be having lunch and dinner, but if it's too much I could skip it more often.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    i eat watermelon seeds from the local middle eastern food store, i have found that with watermelon seed ( jury is stiff out on red melon and others) i never gain.

    however that is a salty snack.

    it really depends on your need and goals.

    for me it is used when i NEED to eat something only, not just becasue. however i still have 314 pounds to remove.


    oh ok not that many but I'd not day no to 125
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

  3. #3
    IcarianVX's Avatar
    IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,265
    I don't see any problem with what you are talking about iniQ. The only thing, for me, that I would question is the amount of "good bacteria" that I may be messing with by eating all that kefir. Too much of a good thing, so to speak.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

  4. #4
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    However, I also ask from a body composition stand-point. I haven't gained any weight that I'd be unhappy with, but I suppose it could get up there on the calories and it's not something I eat because I'm truly hungry (at least not most of the time) but rather just bored and looking for something to munch on. If it wasn't for this I'd just be having lunch and dinner, but if it's too much I could skip it more often.
    i think what you're eating is fine. definitely a little desserty, but fine. the bolded part above is where i would be concerned if it were me. eating just to eat, rather than because you're hungry is a problem i could see growing for a lot of people. i'm certain that you, specifically, won't fall into that trap since you seem so good at being aware of yourself, but not everyone has that skill.
    so, no change in body comp so far. any changes that you have noticed? sleep, energy, better workouts, etc.?

  5. #5
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,672
    Thanks everyone,

    @primalrob, nothing has changed unfavorably as far as I can gather. I think I will make sure I'm not just eating to eat, because I would still like to lose some body fat and I don't see that snack as helping at all. Thanks.

  6. #6
    morgancooper's Avatar
    morgancooper is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    W6839 Washington Ave.
    Posts
    2
    Water Melon seeds? Eating? I thought that it is not good to eat seeds of any kind of fruit. Will give it a try.
    Getting natural skincare is not an easy task.

  7. #7
    Anna Katherine's Avatar
    Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    102
    I work in an office and most of the time have time on my hands to just sit there. I start to want to much on food cause I'm bored. I saw what was happening and fixed it. I noticed I needed something to munch on around 2pm. I switched getting a snack to getting a cup of hot chocolate. It was pretty good, not a lot of sugar or carbs. Then I switched to just a bottle of water. If I still have the need to snack I wait till 4pm and have a square of dark chocolate.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

  8. #8
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by morgancooper View Post
    Water Melon seeds? Eating? I thought that it is not good to eat seeds of any kind of fruit. Will give it a try.
    pumpkin seeds! not watermelon, not sure if those are sold.

  9. #9
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Katherine View Post
    I work in an office and most of the time have time on my hands to just sit there. I start to want to much on food cause I'm bored. I saw what was happening and fixed it. I noticed I needed something to munch on around 2pm. I switched getting a snack to getting a cup of hot chocolate. It was pretty good, not a lot of sugar or carbs. Then I switched to just a bottle of water. If I still have the need to snack I wait till 4pm and have a square of dark chocolate.
    I wish coffee didn't affect me as much or I'd drink that. I am having the above snack today but it's my first time this week. I'm trying to make it a more infrequent thing just to cut down on overall calories (since it's mostly a sugar snack, there's no protein or fat in this thing... well some fat via the nuts but the rest is mostly sugar, with some fiber...)

  10. #10
    PHaselow's Avatar
    PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    725
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    i eat watermelon seeds from the local middle eastern food store, i have found that with watermelon seed ( jury is stiff out on red melon and others) i never gain.

    however that is a salty snack.

    it really depends on your need and goals.

    for me it is used when i NEED to eat something only, not just becasue. however i still have 314 pounds to remove.


    oh ok not that many but I'd not day no to 125
    My parents told me if I swallowed a watermelon seed I'd grow a watermelon in my stomach. Were they just shitting me?

    Do they taste like pumpkin seeds? Or just salty.

    Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100


    "In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •