Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique my snack page 2

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I work in an office, for about 3-4 months now I've been getting in the habit of having the following after lunch, anytime between 1-4pm and since I work from home once a week I'll likely have this up four times in a week (each day I work) though I sometimes don't have it at all.

frozen blueberries (sometimes also frozen strawberries)
    plain or strawberry flavored Kefir from trader joes
    some sort of nut, lately lots of brazil nuts, almonds or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

all in a bowl that's not all that big, but I can't tell you exactly how much it measures. A small soup bowl.

I don't personally see any issues with it, all ingredients are from Trader Joe's and kefir isn't just yogurt, there's some good bacteria in that shit. The only thing I can think of is a) developing a habit (though I never think about it outside of work) b) too much sugar? I'm mostly having it with the flavored kefir over the plain c) too much selenium via brazil nuts? is that possible? I'd say I have 5-8 nuts per bowl - I think I've read you only need 1-3 for the daily recommended dose of selenium... not sure what downsides if any there are from that.

However, I also ask from a body composition stand-point. I haven't gained any weight that I'd be unhappy with, but I suppose it could get up there on the calories and it's not something I eat because I'm truly hungry (at least not most of the time) but rather just bored and looking for something to munch on. If it wasn't for this I'd just be having lunch and dinner, but if it's too much I could skip it more often.

Thoughts?
    I think I'd scale back on the brazil nuts and switch primarily to plain kefir (goat milk kefir is good, too). In addition to the massive amounts of selenium, the hulls of the brazil nuts contain a ton of phytic acid which can interfere with absorption of nutrients. Most brazil nuts still have that brown hull (I guess you could work to pick it off?). Selenium toxicity is cumulative.

I eat brazil nuts, but only occasionally and then only 1-2 at a time. Mix up the nut variety, limit the frozen fruit to an accessory and not the primary ingredient, use plain kefir, and continue eating! I guess the only other thing I would say is why are you eating just for the sake of eating (and not hunger), although if you don't want to lose weight then it probably isn't a big deal.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I think I'd scale back on the brazil nuts and switch primarily to plain kefir (goat milk kefir is good, too). In addition to the massive amounts of selenium, the hulls of the brazil nuts contain a ton of phytic acid which can interfere with absorption of nutrients. Most brazil nuts still have that brown hull (I guess you could work to pick it off?). Selenium toxicity is cumulative.

I eat brazil nuts, but only occasionally and then only 1-2 at a time. Mix up the nut variety, limit the frozen fruit to an accessory and not the primary ingredient, use plain kefir, and continue eating! I guess the only other thing I would say is why are you eating just for the sake of eating (and not hunger), although if you don't want to lose weight then it probably isn't a big deal.
    Thanks, I didn't know that about brazil nuts so I will watch the intake. I haven't had any this week at least. Yeah I know i should do plain kefir but the strawberry one tastes pretty damn good. The frozen fruit is the best part about the whole thing though, so if I were to eliminate that I'd just give up on the whole thing.

The "hunger" is def psychological though sometimes it does feel physical (like today when I had it)

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Thanks, I didn't know that about brazil nuts so I will watch the intake. I haven't had any this week at least. Yeah I know i should do plain kefir but the strawberry one tastes pretty damn good. The frozen fruit is the best part about the whole thing though, so if I were to eliminate that I'd just give up on the whole thing.

The "hunger" is def psychological though sometimes it does feel physical (like today when I had it)
    No need to eliminate the fruit, just use it as an accessory.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    watermelon seeds ( salted and roasted ) do not taste like pumpkin seeds but more like I remember popcorn tasting
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12