Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me.

Hybrid View

Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me.

Just thought I'd post the results of trying primal for 35 days. It's just not for me. I noticed there were a lot of retirees who introduced themselves and never posted again. I thought I may as well post my results in case anyone is interested now or in the future.

I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days. I did slip a few grains in but I'd have to say I was at 100% grain free about 95% of the time and legume free all the time. I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

I was enthused about the concept, but like they say... In theory, theory is the same as practice, but in practice, it's not.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.

Good luck to those who can work the program and benefit from it. I can not. Actually I don't want to. I truly see no lasting benefit from the program.

66 yrs old.; 6ft. 1; 213 lbs this morning...

calories control everything. Mark is wrong when he says to eat all you want. good luck to you though. I would suggest looking at some of Dr. Greg Ellis's work, he lets you structure your own diet and live your life
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    calories control everything. Mark is wrong when he says to eat all you want.
    Since going primal, I eat until I'm full every day, pay no attention to calories, and drop fat faster than when I ate following CW guidelines.
    On days when I take a break from working out, I still eat until I'm full. The difference is that I don't have as much of an appetite during off days, so I don't want as much, but I never count calories.
    I guess everybody reacts differently.

Paleobird Guest
    calories control everything. Mark is wrong when he says to eat all you want. good luck to you though. I would suggest looking at some of Dr. Greg Ellis's work, he lets you structure your own diet and live your life
    Mark never said to eat all you want. I suggest you go back and read chapter 8 of the PB. It's all about calories and macros.

In Mark's post "17 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight", number 8 is , "You are eating too much".

It's the forum pundits who have never read the PB that spread nonsense about eating all you want.

Thanks. I looked at a youtube video by him and will check him out further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.
    Am I understanding correctly that at the end of 35 days you lost weight (or at least hadn't gained any more) and were successfully off BP meds? You then re-introduced grains, and as a result gained weight and raised your BP? And the conclusion you reached from these data is that primal eating does not work?

I'm so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that at the end of 35 days you lost weight (or at least hadn't gained any more) and were successfully off BP meds? You then re-introduced grains, and as a result gained weight and raised your BP? And the conclusion you reached from these data is that primal eating does not work?

I'm so confused.
    Yeah, that's what I got from it too. It's not something temporary, like, "Oh, I lost this weight and am off my meds, now I can eat anything I want again!" No, that's how you got fat in the first place.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

You realize this is a lifestyle, correct? You can't do it for 30 days, go off and expect to keep the weight off.

If I could make a suggestion, which I'm sure some people will disagree with, I would recommend combining primal and weight watchers. My mom has done that and is experiencing remarkable success. But you only mentioned grains. I would suggest going full on primal and cutting out grains, legumes, dairy and maybe even nuts. Spend your points on fish and meat. Fish is especially good for losing weight, we eat it at least 3 times a week. Good luck!

I'm so confused.
    What he's saying is....
    "I went on a diet... then I went back to my normal diet and things went back to how they were."

Well... yeah!
    That's what thousands and thousands of people all across America do every day.
    They diet just long enough to "lose x amount of weight", or get whatever condition just under control, then they stop...
    And guess what happens???
    They go back to being exactly how they were before the diet!

What people need is a lifestyle change NOT a silly DIET!!!
    I'm so sick of "diet" mentality.
    It does not work.
    You have to change the way you eat permanently to have a permanent change on your health!
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

It was confusing to me as well, but I kept a daily journal and checked my bp 3 to 4 times each day to arrive at a daily average.
    On 8/8, when I started primal and stopped my bp meds, my bp was 133/73 and weight was was 212.
    After one day of primal and no meds my bp was 131/76 and weight was was 208. Initially this was very promising.
    After 35 days on primal, on 9/12, my bp was 145/85 and my weight was back to 212. At this point I reintroduced some grains. By 9/14 my bp was 149/90 and I went back on bp meds, my weight was 214.
    Today my bp is 135/79, and my weight is 213, pretty much back where I started on 8/8.

I guess I was saying that primal initially gave me a 4 lb weight loss the first day, that went back to my starting weight after 35 days. Going back on grains I gained 2 lbs then lost 1 lb.
    In regard to bp, the primal did not keep my bp down in the 130s where it was with the meds. It crept up to 145. I then re-introduced grains and it went to 149. The meds got it back to 135. I found that grains vs no grains made very little difference in my weight or bp.

I'm so confused.