Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me. page

Bob-Tao is offline Member

Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me.

Shop Now
    Just thought I'd post the results of trying primal for 35 days. It's just not for me. I noticed there were a lot of retirees who introduced themselves and never posted again. I thought I may as well post my results in case anyone is interested now or in the future.

I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days. I did slip a few grains in but I'd have to say I was at 100% grain free about 95% of the time and legume free all the time. I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

I was enthused about the concept, but like they say... In theory, theory is the same as practice, but in practice, it's not.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.

Good luck to those who can work the program and benefit from it. I can not. Actually I don't want to. I truly see no lasting benefit from the program.

66 yrs old.; 6ft. 1; 213 lbs this morning...

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    calories control everything. Mark is wrong when he says to eat all you want. good luck to you though. I would suggest looking at some of Dr. Greg Ellis's work, he lets you structure your own diet and live your life
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.
    Am I understanding correctly that at the end of 35 days you lost weight (or at least hadn't gained any more) and were successfully off BP meds? You then re-introduced grains, and as a result gained weight and raised your BP? And the conclusion you reached from these data is that primal eating does not work?

I'm so confused.

momrn is offline Member
    You see no lasting benefit for yourself, correct?

For me, it has been a lifesaver. Not because of weight loss, although that has happened, but because I learned what was causing me to wake up in pain EVERY DAY. Grains and any more that slight amounts of sugar fire my joints up. Fire them up! Since adopting this WOE, that doesn't happen. As a matter of fact, I can even run now in my middle age! I can't tell you how freeing it is to be walking along and break into a run just for the fun of it.

I don't what you were looking for when you started this WOE. It's too bad you didn't benefit from it. Hopefully, you'll find what you are looking for. I sure have!

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Mark never says you can eat all you want. Paleotards on this forum say eat all you want.

Also, doing 1 of the 8 things that make Primal Primal is not "going Primal". It is hoping for a magic bullet.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Mark doesn't say eat all you want. There's a discussion of calories in my copy of the PB. People don't pay attention to it because they like to imagine that hormonal magic will do it all.

Also, OP, if you added back grains and then saw weight gain and a rise in blood pressure, that's not the plan's fault considering that grains are clearly not in the plan. It's not a short term fix; it's meant to be a permanent change, otherwise of course going back to a conventional diet will see the return of those issues.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I just watched an interview with Mark and Dr. Mercola and those were his exact words. eat all you want
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I just watched an interview with Mark and Dr. Mercola and those were his exact words. eat all you want
    that's oversimplifying, and he would agree. the idea is that you don't really need to watch your calories if you are obeying your hunger because the food is sating. i feel if someone is really following all ten primal laws well, they really can eat all they want because they won't want too much.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    It's a wonderful lifestyle that has changed and SAVED lives. It's just hard at first and takes willpower. At first you need to limit carbs considerably.

Uncured bacon or sausage or meats from day/night before and eggs for breakfast with multivitamin sets up your day perfectly and keeps hunger away for hours. A big salad with avocado, chicken and veggies or tuna/salmon stuffed in a big tomato for lunch is totally satisfying. Green tea will give you energy all afternoon, and then grill or roast chicken/pork/steaks with a couple veggies and half a sweet potato for dinner.

Eating this way, along with easy exercise such as walking/swimming, will make you a fat burner and will put you in such an awesome mood every single day. Lots of filtered water, macadamias with you for weak moments, some Crio bru or small amts of dark chocolate will calm a sweet tooth and keep you happy.

It takes organization, stocking your kitchen with healthy foods, getting adequate sleep and playtime in the sun and fresh air. It's so easy once you get your brain trained but it takes willpower and fortitude to get off and running. Some people can do it, others aren't willing to put in the initial changes and stick with them.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that at the end of 35 days you lost weight (or at least hadn't gained any more) and were successfully off BP meds? You then re-introduced grains, and as a result gained weight and raised your BP? And the conclusion you reached from these data is that primal eating does not work?

I'm so confused.
    Yeah, that's what I got from it too. It's not something temporary, like, "Oh, I lost this weight and am off my meds, now I can eat anything I want again!" No, that's how you got fat in the first place.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast