Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me. page 4

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days.
    In case OP is still around, I was wondering if the high-ish carb intake might be partly to blame. I'm not even really sure if his objective was weight loss, but if so, that seems kind of high for starting point.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Could it have been a troll?

My 66 year old husband is doing great on this and does not intend to EVER go back to the way he had been eating. It works. Slow and steady, but it does work.

Tortoise and the hare. One wins, one does not.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    as little sense as OP made, i imagine it was either a troll or someone dying to say AH-HA! SO THERE!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    When I was heavier I practiced what I called "chronic restrained eating." It was the only way to keep the insidious weight gain to a minimum. The other thing I did was a lot of exercise. It did not stop the slow gain. I got hungry frequently but tried not to ever eat as much as I truly wanted. I never got super huge (see my avatar) but I felt like I was losing my grasp and my efforts no longer were working.

Eating the Primal Blueprint way I have to admit that I've had some super huge meals. In fact, I often eat far more calories or far larger volumes of food and way more regular meals than I ever did before. I ate half a duck once. Do you know how fatty half a duck is? Holy crap, I thought I might die. Anyway, not only could I eat large quantities all at once, I could also go a long time without eating. It all evened out. I can't say I dieted or counted calories exactly. I did try to exercise some restraint, but not always. Somehow the weight came off. I still exercise a lot.

I'm not super thin, but I'm not too bad for an older lady. Nobody would know I'm as old as I am. I've decided that if more weight comes off, great. Otherwise, my goal is to see if I can run a 50 miles ultra next year. Plus general fitness is my goal. And learning to cook better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Ah, these make me laugh! Cos if I didn't, I'd certainly wonder about the mindset of some people.

100% grain free 95% of the time??! NOT 100% then, is it? <shakes head in amusement/pity/wonder>

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I'd post the results of trying primal for 35 days. It's just not for me. I noticed there were a lot of retirees who introduced themselves and never posted again. I thought I may as well post my results in case anyone is interested now or in the future.

I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days. I did slip a few grains in but I'd have to say I was at 100% grain free about 95% of the time and legume free all the time. I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

I was enthused about the concept, but like they say... In theory, theory is the same as practice, but in practice, it's not.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.

Good luck to those who can work the program and benefit from it. I can not. Actually I don't want to. I truly see no lasting benefit from the program.

66 yrs old.; 6ft. 1; 213 lbs this morning...
    Primal is not for everyone. If you are addicted to your meds and your heavier weight, then primal is not for you. All the power to you -- enjoy your pizza, bread, potatoes, pasta and meds. It's all about choice and sounds like you've made yours. Cheers, mate.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Just thought I'd post the results of trying primal for 35 days. It's just not for me. I noticed there were a lot of retirees who introduced themselves and never posted again. I thought I may as well post my results in case anyone is interested now or in the future.
    As a menopausal woman, I will admit it can be harder than it would be if you were 27.

I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days.
    That's a little high for someone trying to lose weight, but whatever.

I did slip a few grains in but I'd have to say I was at 100% grain free about 95% of the time and legume free all the time.
    I'm going to guess the grains were glutenous grains. Yeah, you can't really cheat with those and make any progress, especially not in the first months. It sets you way back, even if it's not very often. And "95%" would mean maybe one meal during the whole month, and I'm pretty sure it was more often than just one time.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
    Doctor: Then don't do that!

Nuff said.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I find it hilarious that PB didn't work *after* he stopped doing it and went back to eating grains. Hilarious.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that's oversimplifying, and he would agree. the idea is that you don't really need to watch your calories if you are obeying your hunger because the food is sating. i feel if someone is really following all ten primal laws well, they really can eat all they want because they won't want too much.
    This, spot on^
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    calories control everything. Mark is wrong when he says to eat all you want. good luck to you though. I would suggest looking at some of Dr. Greg Ellis's work, he lets you structure your own diet and live your life
    Mark never said to eat all you want. I suggest you go back and read chapter 8 of the PB. It's all about calories and macros.

In Mark's post "17 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight", number 8 is , "You are eating too much".

It's the forum pundits who have never read the PB that spread nonsense about eating all you want.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast