Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retiree. I tried it for 35 days and I quit. Didn't work for me. page 2

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimina View Post
    Am I understanding correctly that at the end of 35 days you lost weight (or at least hadn't gained any more) and were successfully off BP meds? You then re-introduced grains, and as a result gained weight and raised your BP? And the conclusion you reached from these data is that primal eating does not work?

I'm so confused.
    What he's saying is....
    "I went on a diet... then I went back to my normal diet and things went back to how they were."

Well... yeah!
    That's what thousands and thousands of people all across America do every day.
    They diet just long enough to "lose x amount of weight", or get whatever condition just under control, then they stop...
    And guess what happens???
    They go back to being exactly how they were before the diet!

What people need is a lifestyle change NOT a silly DIET!!!
    I'm so sick of "diet" mentality.
    It does not work.
    You have to change the way you eat permanently to have a permanent change on your health!
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-25-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I went primal for 35 days and I lowered my blood pressure and everything was looking great! Finally, 35 days of primal and I'm now officially cured!

So I started adding back in the grains and twinkies and milkshakes and pizza and 35 days later I was back to where I was! What the hell?! I thought you guys said I only needed to do this for a month.

What a bunch of crap. This is not for me.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The point about primal= you eliminate the shitty foods from your diet forever.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The point about primal= you eliminate the shitty foods from your diet forever.
    Yep, and it is interesting how many appear to read it the way that Grok illustrated. Even as a newcomer that doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I can only worry about myself and MY approach.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    Just thought I'd post the results of trying primal for 35 days. It's just not for me. I noticed there were a lot of retirees who introduced themselves and never posted again. I thought I may as well post my results in case anyone is interested now or in the future.

I started primal (with 100-150g of carbs daily) by going grain and legume free for 35 days. I did slip a few grains in but I'd have to say I was at 100% grain free about 95% of the time and legume free all the time. I joined because after losing 12 lbs on WW in 2-1/2 months I gained 5 back, so I thought primal might help me lose some more weight. I also went off my bp meds and hoped primal would allow me to control my bp naturally.

I was enthused about the concept, but like they say... In theory, theory is the same as practice, but in practice, it's not.

To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.

Good luck to those who can work the program and benefit from it. I can not. Actually I don't want to. I truly see no lasting benefit from the program.

66 yrs old.; 6ft. 1; 213 lbs this morning...
    Don't give up. How do you FEEL? Its not all about the scale. Did you have pre and post blood work done?

Sounds like you could benefit from journaling your food intake. Study after study reports greater success when you write down everything that goes into your pie hole.

Are you following the other tenets of Primal? Getting lots of good quality sleep? Exercising regularly at low HR? Lifting heavy things? Low Stress? It's not a diet, its a live-it, you have to do it all, not just the food.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    that's oversimplifying, and he would agree. the idea is that you don't really need to watch your calories if you are obeying your hunger because the food is sating. i feel if someone is really following all ten primal laws well, they really can eat all they want because they won't want too much.
    if your trying to lose weight you have to watch your calories period. or start burning a lot more

I understand that's what he meant that you wont be ravenously hungry all the time because of feeling satiated. but for an obese person they eat a ton in one sitting
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    So you tried a diet for one WHOLE MONTH, and when you went OFF the diet, your health problems recurred, and you are blaming going ON the diet for this?

I r confoosed.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

rantingredneck is offline Junior Member
    I started down this path in late June at 237lbs and in chronic pain. The pain was the result of knee and shoulder injuries in contact sports in my teens along with a fused spine resulting from a burst fracture of L1 in a hunting accident in my 30's.

I am now 214lbs and still losing, but slowly. I have NO pain. I went from daily painkillers to none at all. I have more energy and even my nasal allergy problems seem to be gone. I was one of those types that had to wear a respirator to mow my yard. No more.

My target weight is somewhere around 200lbs. I'll know I'm there when I see the rest of my six pack . The top half is peeking out already lol.

35 days is barely enough time to realize most of the benefits and this really has to be a lifestyle change and not a "diet".

Yeah, sure slip a little sugar or grain into your diet every now and then. Even Mark's books say to do that. I have to say though that doing that makes me appreciate good foods. I feel like crap after eating ANY wheat at all now. Rice products I can get away with. Wheat products make me sick. Pretty sure I've been gluten intolerant all along and just didn't know it.
    Last edited by rantingredneck; 09-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    if your trying to lose weight you have to watch your calories period. or start burning a lot more

I understand that's what he meant that you wont be ravenously hungry all the time because of feeling satiated. but for an obese person they eat a ton in one sitting
    Ok, kiddo...

Listen.
    You are misinformed.
    Not all obese people "eat a ton in one sitting", some are grazers who eat very small amounts frequently.
    Others have slower metabolisms, and in fact eat much less than very active young men like yourself who participate in sports and such.

People are different... and you can't always judge a book by it's cover.
    Not all obese people are 400lbs and shoveling large pizzas into their faces washed down by 2liters of soda.
    There is a wide spectrum of weight, including normal, overweight, and obese... and a wide range of eating habits that fall withing those areas...
    Stop painting all people with a single color in one brushstroke.

Oversimplification doesn't simplify anything...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    To make a long story short, after 35 days I started adding some grains, gained back a couple of pounds in a couple of weeks, and was back where I started before primal. My BP raised and I went back on my bp meds as well.
    So you went off the program and gained all the weight back and had to go back on bp meds and you blame the program?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast