Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way for this to work for me? page

chiznit is offline Junior Member

Is there any way for this to work for me?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all. I never, ever post on threads or in forums, I'm very comfortable lurking until the end of time. However, I am so stuck with Primal right now, and if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. My situation is as follows-

My brother and mother have both had excellent success with Primal, losing the 10 extra pounds both of them have, have great energy, etc. However, they have one body type and my father and I have another. I had my first child four months ago, and I am 36 years old. I am the kind of person who, at about 200 lbs and 5'6, am a size 12-14 and look just curvy and strong. About the smallest I get without looking weird is 175 or so. That being said, I quit smoking nearly two years ago, gained a bunch of weight, and right when I was about to do something about it, I got pregnant. Despite my weight and age, I had a relatively easy pregnancy, and gave birth at about 270 lbs. I steadily lost 20 lbs over the next two months, and I have stalled out at 247-250 for the last two months. For the first month, I did Weight Watchers. After watching my brother and mother's success, I switched to Primal. I even went into ketosis pretty solidly for about three weeks. I have stayed at 247-250 the whole time. I just started to do both WW and Primal, and same results, which are no results. Yes I am measuring as well. It is beyond frustrating and I am losing my enthusiasm very quickly.

My acupuncturist, along with two others I've consulted, believe that the stress level in my life is the culprit. It is true that I am under an extreme amount of stress, but sadly there is actually nothing I can do but manage it until it changes, at the earliest, at the end of December. The short version is my husband and I have a failing business that we have to keep open until the end of December, and in addition we have to keep this information mostly secret and pretend everything is fine until the beginning of December, when we can announce the plans to close. It is excruciating, akin to a relative with a slowly fatal disease, but then having to keep it secret? Icing on the crap cake. So I am doing all I can to manage the stress, with regular acupuncture, trying to get as much sleep as possible with a four month old, asking for help, etc.

So my question is, is there something I can do to jolt my body into action, or is it a lost cause and I will simply maintain until we can restart our lives in the new year? Any ideas are welcome. I was thinking about IF, but I'm also in a quandary about making anything seem even more stressful to my body at this point. Thanks in advance.

HilaryJ is offline Junior Member
    ah geez ... I feel your pain. I worked at a great store that closed and we found out we were closing 5 months in advance (right after I got a second car note to boot!). Having the keep a "chipper" attitude all the while knowing the end was looming was very hard. Even selling the high-end sewing machines took its toll because I knew we would not be around to provide after-sale support.

I'm fairly new to the whole primal thing myself and cannot offer much advice. I'm losing because I do track calories in and calories out, even though many here would say not to bother. Stress can affect your metabolism, so can after'pregnancy hormonal fluctuations. You have a lot on your proverbial plate, but you seem to be handling it rather well.

Have you increased your physical activity? I love the fitness aspect of being primal and that's helping me even more than the eating aspect.

chiznit is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for responding. I have upped my physical activity to the best of my ability with my schedule and baby, and am doing yoga in a room we converted to a little studio for me in the basement. I have a trampoline also, a big one, but it's been out of commission for a few weeks while a project outside has been constructed. but the short answer is yes-ish. I wouldn't think it would be the sole issue though.

kandis is offline Junior Member
    This is my first post because your situation has jolted me from lurking. That said, I have a pretty firm grasp on some of the problems that stall progress so please don't dismiss what I will tell you out of hand.

Without specifics about what you are eating other than the title of primal, I have a couple of suspicions:

First off, are you eating enough calories over-all? People who come from conventional weight loss mind sets can frequently underestimate their nutritional needs. If you are aiming for something like the 1500 calories that WW people like to aim for, that is much too low. For an approximation on what you need, you should review the appropriate portion of the PB and possibly utilize some of the calculators you can find online. If you can't find joy in crunching numbers concerning calories in, I suggest playing with your intake by having a couple experimental days where you add a couple hundred calories (coconut oil a couple times a day is an easy way to do it, for instance)

Secondly, are you eating too much protein and not enough fat? There is research to suggest that an overabundance of protein in the diet is actually treated similarly to an overabundance of sugar which, as the primal way suggests, is not what you want. If you are having much more than the protein that your body needs (Even at 200 pounds, I did not need over 115 grams a day because there is only so much muscle there), you may need to consider scaling that back and upping your fat intake to get the appropriate calories (see above).

The primal community tends not to fuss too much about calories. That is because it is quite easy to follow your hunger signals when you are at a healthy weight and do not have other food issues. I, myself, battle with compulsive eating and have to keep a closer eye. For your situation, it may be difficult to go by hunger signals in part because your body size means that you need more fat in your diet than you body may "want."

And, finally, depending on the types of meat that you favor, there is a chance that you're eating more salt than you think. Check that out and see if you might be carrying bunches of extra water as a result.

I hope something I've shared here helps.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If stress really is your main issue, the Primal Blueprint diet will help you greatly by providing adequate nutrients. You may need to restore order to your stress hormones before you can lose weight. Best to actually nourish your body while you do that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

obsessed is offline Member
    Hang in there. I have been doing the primal thing for a bit of 2 months. I have lost a total of 3 maybe 5 pounds (it usually reverts back to 3).
    No massive water loss nothing. I do feel better. And I think I am almost in Ketosis sometimes.. I just dont stay there too long. I am over 100+ pounds over weight so I would like to see some movement on the scale. But I am going to stay the course and I hope you do too.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Hey there,

Well, without much detail about your daily food intake, etc... it's hard to give you much guidance. If you could provide us with an example of your average day, it would definitely help.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow. Yeah that is pretty stressful and I am sure that is the main reason for your stall out in the weight loss department. I am under a circumstance right now where I also have a big secret to keep and it's killing me. This crapstorm in my life happened about 3 weeks after going off anti-depressants (which I took for 10 years) and days after quitting smoking. Believe me all I wanted to do was drink beer, stuff my face with pizza, go back on my meds to feel numb, and chain smoke. That isn't going to change anything though. My problems would still be there when I came out of my carb nicotine coma, only worse. My plan is to ride out this storm while sticking to the positive changes in my life. If my weight loss stalls out for a while, fine. It will pick back up. Sometimes life drags you down for periods of time. Just don't give it any help hang in there!!!!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessed View Post
    Hang in there. I have been doing the primal thing for a bit of 2 months. I have lost a total of 3 maybe 5 pounds (it usually reverts back to 3).
    No massive water loss nothing. I do feel better. And I think I am almost in Ketosis sometimes.. I just dont stay there too long. I am over 100+ pounds over weight so I would like to see some movement on the scale. But I am going to stay the course and I hope you do too.
    My loss really picked up in month 3! I am stalled again right now, but it will come back. I would like to keep up with your progress as I have only been doing this for a couple months longer than you and also have a great deal to lose! Good luck!!!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Cheralyn is offline Junior Member

Baby!

No one else has mentioned this so I thought I would! It can take a few months after having a baby for your body to rebalance itself and "release" the baby weight. It usually takes 3-4 months for me after having kids for my body to start letting go, and if you are breast feeding it can take even longer. Don't stress about it, your body has just performed an amazing feat. Just follow the PB as much as possible, enjoy your baby, and get through the next few stressful months as well as possible. Don't worry, the weight WILL come off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast