Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine is harmless page

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member

Caffeine is harmless

Primal Fuel
    "ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton was back in the lineup Monday against the Oakland Athletics after missing the last five games with blurred vision and balance issues.

Rangers officials said that Hamilton saw an optometrist and was diagnosed with ocular keratitis, a drying of the cornea caused by too much caffeine and energy drinks."

Texas Rangers' Josh Hamilton back in lineup against Oakland Athletics - ESPN Dallas
    ad astra per aspera

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with junk in the energy drinks - just caffeine.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There is such a thing as caffeine intoxication. There's an actual diagnoses in the DSM for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    A 16 oz monster energy drink has 160mg of caffeine - a 6 ounce cup of drip coffee has 100 mg

There is such a thing as caffeine intoxication. There's an actual diagnoses in the DSM for it.
    I realized Robb Wolf was full of shit and mostly just someone who liked to talk for the sake of hearing himself speak once he bragged on a podcast about drinking coffee to the point of hallucination. Gluten apparently will kill you but coffee is "a gift from the gods".

You should listen to the early episodes - theres a few in which Andy and him give up coffee for three weeks - it's like listening to addicts without smack
    ad astra per aspera

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Too much caffeine is bad for you. I'm not sure anybody would argue otherwise. How much is too much is another issue though.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    So, is like 900 mg/day too much?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    You should listen to the early episodes - theres a few in which Andy and him give up coffee for three weeks - it's like listening to addicts without smack
    i am like that. but i do realise it is an evil addiction. what really pushes me over the edge are those fat burners. i have taken them on occasion when i have been training real hard and they are just horrid. way way too much caffeine and they arent even nice tasting! i wonder what the official dose is for overdose? ive never hallucinated but i had heart palpitations once on one of those preworkout things.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Young guy I worked with used to drink two or three of those tall cans of energy drinks each shift. He ended up with an extremely painful attack of gout in his foot. He was off work for a week and said his foot hurt LESS the time a stack of pallets fell on that foot and broke a bone. Those drinks are nasty.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It never said how many energy drinks/total caffeine drinks he was having daily... nor if he was hydrating to compensate for them adequately...
    I'd say he obviously wasn't.

Of course... there are obviously individual intolerances as well
    There is even said to be a genetic ling to how a person metabolizes caffeine.

Every time a person in the world reacts badly to eating shell fish people don't post articles here maligning it.
    Or develops kidney stones because their bodies can't process components of other foods well (oxalix acid and oxalates).

Most people here will tell you how important salt is to the daily diet. How you NEED it.
    However, if I eat any appreciable amount it can make me so sick I end up spending a few days unable to get out of bed.
    It makes a medical condition I have worse extremely fast and in a huge way.
    Personal intolerance.

Recent studies have linked the daily consumption of coffee to lower incidences of Parkinson's disease, type 2 diabetes, liver cancer and colon cancer...
    Go figure.
    Some good stuff, along with that not so good stuff.

Use it, don't let it use you.

Monster Engergy Drinks however.... Umm.... No... those things are full of crap.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think i will badly affect our health

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast