Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concept 2 rower as sprint alternative? page

fes31129 is offline Junior Member

concept 2 rower as sprint alternative?

Shop Now
    I am recovering from an injury and my ortho and PT have given me the go ahead to resume working out but have told me to stay away from running and box jumps. I am looking for sprint alternatives. Will all out sprints on the concept 2 rower provide the same effect as traditional sprinting in the context of the PB?

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    For the most part, I think it will. It's not as much of a bone-building-stress type exercise as running, but it does get your heart rate up like running sprints do. Go for it!

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely a good alternative. If you do any resistance training, you don't need to worry about the bone-building aspect.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fes31129 View Post
    I am recovering from an injury and my ortho and PT have given me the go ahead to resume working out but have told me to stay away from running and box jumps. I am looking for sprint alternatives. Will all out sprints on the concept 2 rower provide the same effect as traditional sprinting in the context of the PB?
    Well depends where your injury is. It's a good full body workout but I would try to do the motion first with a light resistance and see how that goes. Then try the sprint.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    If it is raining or extremely hot or cold outside on Wednesday(my sprint day) I will swing by the gym and do sprints on the stationary bike. Seems to work pretty well even if I do get strange looks from the cronic cardio crowd there.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    Don't get me wrong, I love my concept rower... but as far as sprints go, I think a $100 used airdyne is much more efficient/brutal than a rower. For me, at least, it feels much more akin to a balls out sprint when I use the airdyne.

fes31129 is offline Junior Member
    agree on the airdyne, that thing is absolutely brutal but I don't have access to one anymore.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    if you can't run go for it! Also, if you have access to a pool that would be good

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    It's what I use and the doctor on TV who put me on to HIT exercise used a static bike for his efforts. My resting pulse has gone from 60 in March to just over 40 a couple of weeks ago and I have no doubt it's the HIT rowing that's caused it. I am sure that rowing will not have the same joint bashing effects as sprinting. Another benefit is that one can exercise sitting down!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    agree on the airdyne, that thing is absolutely brutal but I don't have access to one anymore.
    They are cheap on craigslist and don't take up much space. I've seen them for as little as $25 locally, mine set me back $100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast