Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who Is Eating Chocolate Every Day? page 4

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I really hope you mean cocoa and not coca.
    opps!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    The take home message is this: eat raw cacao with no or little processed sugar in it, if you can get it(order online, make it yourself in batches & stash, hide from self). However, for those of you who indulge in our little brown roasted friends in the form of store bought dark chocolate bars, enjoy those too & don't stress out over this stuff! Stress is worse than sugar imo, unless sugar is your stressor! Have fun, get out doors, walk barefoot, enjoy this life, it may be the only one you get...
    Ahhh... Betorq.

All that talk of cocoa/delicious raw cocoa and Panama.
    Shame on YOU> did you know that it's basically my dream to expat to Panama?
    (I have strange dreams.)
    You have pushed me a little further towards my edge...

Also.
    In spite of all the stuff bandied about that says that it's only oxalic acid that is a problem for some people that is not corrrect. There are people with conditions... kidney/UTI problems and other conditions such as vulvodynia and fibromyalgia... who are also affected by the oxalate content left after food is cooked. Their bodies are not lying to them. They eat foods high in oxalates but that are supposed to have zero oxalic acid left... and the pain returns. They remove the foods high in base oxalate... and maintain control that way.
    That is why I don't currently consume any chocolate.

One day I'll have it back though... one day!

(**On a side note it seems that there is some recent food evidence that use of antibiotics has played a part in causing modern sensitivities to oxalates that probably did not exist previously. While antibiotics often save lives I think that the impact they are having on overall health is just starting to be understood. It has been found that many people with health problems lack the gut flora necessary to digest foods properly... and this goes for oxalates as well.
    And while Lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus and Saccharomyces boulardii are helpful in digesting oxalates it is not their preferred food source and they are not efficient. It is however the preferred food source of the anaerobe called Oxalobacter formigenes, and several studies have shown that people who develop oxalate related health issues lack Oxalobacter formigenes in their gut/stool. Unfortunately, unlike the other probiotocs, it is not available as a culture for supplement (yet?).
    Personally, since I stopped consuming high oxalate (not just oxalic acid) foods, I have had a dramatic reduction in symptoms from my medical issues, and have also decreased my medication by half... and continue to try to decrease it further.
    This is quite unexpected as I was going LowOx mainly as a kidney protection. I made the connection to the gut issues later during the research when I learned of the gut health complications implicated and how my medical condition developed. MANY people with the medical issue that I have have it precipitate following the use of a specific type of antibiotics. It's fairly well documented that there is a connection. )
    Last edited by cori93437; 09-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I do the Crio Bru real strong, only about 6 oz with a little stevia, about 2-3 times a week.

It truly is amazing how your cravings subside after going primal. I used to be a Godiva addict and had made up my mind that it was just a weakness and hormonal. So happy to report how wrong I was

Paleobird Guest
    This thread is inspiring me to go fire up a cauldron of Crio Bru. I'm drinking my chocolate instead of eating it lately.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    So what does Crio Bru taste like.....compared to coffee? Is it bitter?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    The take home message is this: eat raw cacao with no or little processed sugar in it, if you can get it(order online, make it yourself in batches & stash, hide from self). However, for those of you who indulge in our little brown roasted friends in the form of store bought dark chocolate bars, enjoy those too & don't stress out over this stuff! Stress is worse than sugar imo, unless sugar is your stressor! Have fun, get out doors, walk barefoot, enjoy this life, it may be the only one you get...
    Cheers for that. I have been having a couple of squares of dark chocolate early evening as a treat. Think if I didn't I would stress over my craving. What I have I enjoy and I don't feel deprived.
    If you saw the amount of dog sh*t around here you may not feel quite as enthusiastic about bare foot walking.I do wear my new balance nimbus though.
    Thanks again.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    So what does Crio Bru taste like.....compared to coffee? Is it bitter?
    The flavor is like pure bakers chocolate plus the beans are roasted so that does give it a little "darker" taste. But it is not bitter and you can leave the grounds in the water indefinitely without the brew turning bitter.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The flavor is like pure bakers chocolate plus the beans are roasted so that does give it a little "darker" taste. But it is not bitter and you can leave the grounds in the water indefinitely without the brew turning bitter.
    Thanks,
    I've been experimenting with unsweetened baker's chocolate. It's a little bitter but not bad
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I will have to try that. If I can find it in my little town.

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This thread made me want chocolate haha. So since I have been cutting sweets way down I decided to give 70% Dark Chocolate a try. I had one square and loved it! I also felt like I had just had a shot of expresso.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast