Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle O's new School Lunch Menu: Less Fat, More Grains

Hybrid View

Michelle O's new School Lunch Menu: Less Fat, More Grains

The new guidelines the first major overhaul of school meals in 15 years also require cafeterias to serve less fat and sodium and more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

The lunch included one cheese-stuffed bread stick, a small dollop of marinara sauce, three apple slices and some raw spinach. Kirkham supplemented the lunch with items from a salad bar, including cubes of ham, bacon bits and dressing, which were available only to teachers.
    School lunch calorie limits leave bitter taste with some Kansas students | McClatchy

wiltondeportes Guest
    Why does Michelle Obama decide this? She is a huge assface.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Why does Michelle Obama decide this? She is a huge assface.
    I honestly don't think that she knows any better.
    She's pushing CW because she thinks it's the right way, and it's been drilled into her head by supposedly "reliable" sources. She's probably never tried our way of eating.
    Most people are like this.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    I honestly don't think that she knows any better.
    She's pushing CW because she thinks it's the right way, and it's been drilled into her head by supposedly "reliable" sources. She's probably never tried our way of eating.
    Most people are like this.
    There's many levels to this...

One, why is our national government making requirements for school lunches? Does it affect life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness? No? Then stay the hell out.
    Two, if there was a mandate, what research was done to confirm that the choice was made correctly. Where is it? Or, was this choice made based upon opinion? Opinions mandated to a nation is the worst kind of totalitarianism. WORST KIND. THERE IS NO WORSE GOVERNMENT THAN THAT.
    Three, why the fuck is Michelle Obama doing this? Did we vote her into office? No we didn't. It's bad enough we have to deal with her programed, spineless, evil husband. Why should we be subjected to this gold digger's cock-eyed opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    There's many levels to this...

One, why is our national government making requirements for school lunches? Does it affect life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness? No? Then stay the hell out.
    Two, if there was a mandate, what research was done to confirm that the choice was made correctly. Where is it? Or, was this choice made based upon opinion? Opinions mandated to a nation is the worst kind of totalitarianism. WORST KIND. THERE IS NO WORSE GOVERNMENT THAN THAT.
    Three, why the fuck is Michelle Obama doing this? Did we vote her into office? No we didn't. It's bad enough we have to deal with her programed, spineless, evil husband. Why should we be subjected to this gold digger's cock-eyed opinions?
    Dude, calm down. The government has been making requirements for school lunches for decades and decades. The requirements suck, but who knows what on earth idiot superintendents would do without them.

And really, first ladies have always done "humanitarian" projects. FL Obama made her project fighting childhood obesity, where have you been?

Maybe she'll encourage more schools to adopt Jamie Oliver's approach. It would be a step in the right direction, at least.

Hopefully the calorie restriction will reduce the amount of processed sugar. Did you even read the article? Highschoolers lunch is 850 calories. If they are still snacking in class then they are simply addicted to sugar. Sorry, but I don't give a damn about that.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    And really, first ladies have always done "humanitarian" projects. FL Obama made her project fighting childhood obesity, where have you been?
    Maybe she'll encourage more schools to adopt Jamie Oliver's approach. It would be a step in the right direction, at least.
    I ♥ Jamie Oliver, even though many of his recipes are absolutely non-paelo/primal (but some are definitely paleo/primal friendly!). The way he's encouraged FRESH foods is no doubt a WONDERFUL thing, by any way of eating (except maybe the diet Dr. Nick prescribed for Homer Simpson) - have you seen the video where kids don't know what a tomato is?! It's just SAD how removed a lot of people are from the knowledge of what real food is and how it grows.
    And yes, when electing a married president, you ARE kind of electing their spouse as well, even thought it is not an official "elected office." Laura Bush's causes were education and women's health, Hilary Clinton worked on a health care plan, Michelle Obama is working on childhood obesity (although, IMO, misguidedly). First Lady of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (oh, hey, they said some of what I just said... tee hee!)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Hopefully the calorie restriction will reduce the amount of processed sugar. Did you even read the article? Highschoolers lunch is 850 calories. If they are still snacking in class then they are simply addicted to sugar. Sorry, but I don't give a damn about that.
    850 calories might seem like a large lunch, but keep in mind that a lot of kids (all over the US) EAT THIS AS THEIR ONLY MEAL... which puts the caloric load in a different light, as 850/day is NOT enough for a teenager.
    People snack not just because they're addicted to sugar, but because they're overfed and undernourished and/or they don't know how to break the high/low/craving cycle. It is a sad state of affairs.

Wow, a video? I just started yelling and swearing in class when I was upset with school.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Why is somebody in DC telling the citizens of Bum-Frak Iowa what their kids are going to be eating in their school lunch rooms, and why are they using my tax money from Bum-Frak Alabama to pay for it? Hmmmmm....? When are we (and by that I mean the royal We, and by that I mean you bastards, all of you) going to start governing ourselves instead of complaining about how those on high do it for us? Anybody?
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Quote Originally Posted by BONZ View Post
    Why is somebody in DC telling the citizens of Bum-Frak Iowa what their kids are going to be eating in their school lunch rooms, and why are they using my tax money from Bum-Frak Alabama to pay for it? Hmmmmm....? When are we (and by that I mean the royal We, and by that I mean you bastards, all of you) going to start governing ourselves instead of complaining about how those on high do it for us? Anybody?

yeah, I'm with you. this country was founded on those principals but too many people today want to play the roll of a titty baby to some bureaucrat up in DC
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    yeah, I'm with you. this country was founded on those principals but too many people today want to play the roll of a titty baby to some bureaucrat up in DC
    I think it is lack of strong Government, demonstrated by financial deregulisation who have let the greedy corporations get away with whatever they want. Dont see anything wrong with Governments trying to improve peoples health. especially in the midst of this totally avoidable obesity epidemic. Just pity it is not Paleo. Lets face it the free market with the increase of massive corporations isnt going to do anything to help normal people. They want to give them the lowest pay possible whilst actively evading taxes. The rich are getting richer and the poor a lot poorer. I dont mind Capitalism, but there can be fair Capitalism so that everyone reaps the rewards not just the few..
    In the UK, Bankers continue to get massive bonuses. Many of the lower paid workers pay has been frozen/ reduced. Benefits are being cut for the disabled.
    I dont want to live in a dog eat dog world.