Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michelle O's new School Lunch Menu: Less Fat, More Grains page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
    For those with the means (and drive) to do so, they can provide a lunch daily for their child that is in accordance to their dietary wishes.
    Precisely, and ideally if you're going to procreate you should have the drive to do so. Obviously the big issue is that parents are probably going to pack whole grains and bullshit like that, so they might see this change as a positive and not bother to pack lunches.

There's clearly some lobbying going on here as well, but again I feel it's being done in the interest of the kids - and if you have kids in the system you're likely packing their lunches and could also be more proactive in informing other parents as to what is better.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    There's many levels to this...

One, why is our national government making requirements for school lunches? Does it affect life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness? No? Then stay the hell out.
    Two, if there was a mandate, what research was done to confirm that the choice was made correctly. Where is it? Or, was this choice made based upon opinion? Opinions mandated to a nation is the worst kind of totalitarianism. WORST KIND. THERE IS NO WORSE GOVERNMENT THAN THAT.
    Three, why the fuck is Michelle Obama doing this? Did we vote her into office? No we didn't. It's bad enough we have to deal with her programed, spineless, evil husband. Why should we be subjected to this gold digger's cock-eyed opinions?
    Dude, calm down. The government has been making requirements for school lunches for decades and decades. The requirements suck, but who knows what on earth idiot superintendents would do without them.

And really, first ladies have always done "humanitarian" projects. FL Obama made her project fighting childhood obesity, where have you been?

Maybe she'll encourage more schools to adopt Jamie Oliver's approach. It would be a step in the right direction, at least.

Hopefully the calorie restriction will reduce the amount of processed sugar. Did you even read the article? Highschoolers lunch is 850 calories. If they are still snacking in class then they are simply addicted to sugar. Sorry, but I don't give a damn about that.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gawd, when I think of the crap they served in school. "Pizza" - white bread with tomato sauce and a slice of American cheese. Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Fish sticks. Lots of corn and green beans as our sides. Runny macaroni and "cheese." The food was so bad that most kids either brown bagged it, or ate pudding and milk for lunch.

I love the video. Clever kids.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Michelle Obama has to be one of the most repugnant and utterly unlikable politicians in recent memory. The ultimate combination of greed, ignorance, and entitlement. Marie Antoinette, but without class or regal dignity. She's one of the biggest reason's I'm hoping for an Obama victory- she serves as a useful flash point and symbol of corruption for those of us fighting the Big Government agenda.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    And really, first ladies have always done "humanitarian" projects. FL Obama made her project fighting childhood obesity, where have you been?
    Maybe she'll encourage more schools to adopt Jamie Oliver's approach. It would be a step in the right direction, at least.
    I ♥ Jamie Oliver, even though many of his recipes are absolutely non-paelo/primal (but some are definitely paleo/primal friendly!). The way he's encouraged FRESH foods is no doubt a WONDERFUL thing, by any way of eating (except maybe the diet Dr. Nick prescribed for Homer Simpson) - have you seen the video where kids don't know what a tomato is?! It's just SAD how removed a lot of people are from the knowledge of what real food is and how it grows.
    And yes, when electing a married president, you ARE kind of electing their spouse as well, even thought it is not an official "elected office." Laura Bush's causes were education and women's health, Hilary Clinton worked on a health care plan, Michelle Obama is working on childhood obesity (although, IMO, misguidedly). First Lady of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (oh, hey, they said some of what I just said... tee hee!)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Hopefully the calorie restriction will reduce the amount of processed sugar. Did you even read the article? Highschoolers lunch is 850 calories. If they are still snacking in class then they are simply addicted to sugar. Sorry, but I don't give a damn about that.
    850 calories might seem like a large lunch, but keep in mind that a lot of kids (all over the US) EAT THIS AS THEIR ONLY MEAL... which puts the caloric load in a different light, as 850/day is NOT enough for a teenager.
    People snack not just because they're addicted to sugar, but because they're overfed and undernourished and/or they don't know how to break the high/low/craving cycle. It is a sad state of affairs.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    850 calories might seem like a large lunch, but keep in mind that a lot of kids (all over the US) EAT THIS AS THEIR ONLY MEAL... which puts the caloric load in a different light, as 850/day is NOT enough for a teenager.
    People snack not just because they're addicted to sugar, but because they're overfed and undernourished and/or they don't know how to break the high/low/craving cycle. It is a sad state of affairs.
    Yes, but like the article said, a school lunch is supposed to be a school lunch.

“It’s one meal. It is designed to meet the nutrient needs of an average student of that age group, but it’s never going to meet the needs of students who burn far more calories,” Johnson said.

“We need to encourage breakfasts at home or at school. We need to encourage students to take all of the items at lunch and then to plan for after-school activities by packing a healthy snack.”

School districts that once financed bigger lunches could continue to offer extra food and comply with the calorie restrictions by establishing an afternoon snack program, Johnson said.

Parents of athletes and other active children should make sure they have a healthy snack between school and practice, Johnson said.

“The guidelines don’t say this is the only food a student should have all day,” she said. “We know from research that it is much better to have six small meals and snacks during the day as opposed to a lot of food at one time.”

Read more here: School lunch calorie limits leave bitter taste with some Kansas students | McClatchy
    Yeah, parents should actually think about feeding their own children. What a concept!

wiltondeportes Guest
    I don't like this "forgiveness" mindset. It makes me sick. Totalitarianism is totalitarianism. Stay out Michelle Obama. Let schools decide on their meals for themselves.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    I will say it again. If you put your kids in the system then you have to play by the systems rules. DEMAND school choice and you will be in control of your kids education and their diet. And as a bonus I will not have to pay twice!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ecole66 View Post
    I will say it again. If you put your kids in the system then you have to play by the systems rules. DEMAND school choice and you will be in control of your kids education and their diet. And as a bonus I will not have to pay twice!
    That's one way out, but I don't think that's good enough. Is a public school so federal now that no one in the community gets to decide a single thing about it?

Maybe in a fantasy land, everyone would go to private schools. As it stands, private schools are expensive and for the few.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    That's one way out, but I don't think that's good enough. Is a public school so federal now that no one in the community gets to decide a single thing about it?

Maybe in a fantasy land, everyone would go to private schools. As it stands, private schools are expensive and for the few.
    DEMAND a voucher system. You get to decide where the tax dollars that are now spent on your child's education are spent in the future. We currently spend LESS money to send our daughter to a private school than government spends per child in public school.
    If everyone got a voucher each year for said amount that could be spent at any school the PARENT chooses then more great private schools would be opened and every child would get a better education.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast