Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So much info and conflictions, I get so confused! page

Kinesio is offline Junior Member

So much info and conflictions, I get so confused!

Primal Fuel
    I love to read and people who speak the good "health talk" and "science talk" can persuade me well. I'm easily influenced. Someone just posted this article to me, she is very healthy and fit. Not primal though. I read this and don't know what to think. I find it so hard to focus with all this propaganda out there but I do respect all nutritional ideas, cultures, and techniques. Do you all put bllinders on and keep to yourself?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/op...oc.semityn.www

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Believe what ever you want.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinesio View Post
    Do you all put bllinders on and keep to yourself?
    Haha.

That article has already been discussed on here.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kinesio is offline Junior Member
    haha, right on. All I know is I feel great when I eat plenty of fresh fruit, and grass fed beef. Kerrygold butter makes everything better too. And kale, I feel it immediately.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Science is amazing, but it ignores reality all too often in trying to isolate variables. Common sense - as unscientific as it might seem - trumps isolated data. It might take science ten years to prove that flies eat poop. They'd have to set down tons of parameters, develop intrumentation to gather data, set up scenario after scenario to test, retest, peer review and verify the validity of each experiment. It might take weeks to define "flies", "eat" and "poop", and how they relate. And they'd uncover a lot of interesting - but largely useless - data along the way. But we both know flies eat poop. So when reports come out on both sides of the fence declaring flies don't eat poop, and flies do eat poop, you know where to stand.

Same for dietary science. We KNOW what humans eat. Plants, animals, each other, some dirt, some rotten fruit, bugs, etc. That's how we came about as a species, by eating everything in sight that didn't kill us off right away, and adapting to the rest, the mild toxins, and reproducing before dying.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    My view on it is sort of that the basics are what is important, and from there you can do whatever you want.

Knifegill makes a good point... we know what we're supposed to eat. Things that come from nature and aren't tampered with.

Basically that article was dissing red meat and low carb diets... but I mean it's not like primal pushes red meat in particular, or even low carb for that matter. Quite a few people on here eat reasonably high carbs, the difference is that it's from the right sources! Also the article mentioned Atkins a lot and hopefully they didn't model the studies on people eating protein bars and other fake foods some people on diets use.

I eat red meat probably 3 times a week, sometimes 2, and I'm not reaaaally low carb. I go from 20g a day up to about 100g. It is "low carb" compared to SAD but it's not low carb enough for ketosis. I only go into ketosis when I'm like <10g of carbs per day for some reason.

I dunno. I mean you have to take things as they come, look at the context, look at your situation, and always remember moderation, and once you do that, I tend to find most studies BASICALLY agree with eachother, they've just sometimes been interpreted the wrong way/too extreme.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It wasn't dissing low carb diets. It was dissing low carb high protein diets.

Everybody agrees that low carb low fat high protein diets are the worst (aka rabbit starvation). Protein needs to be kept at between 1/5 and 1/3 of calories. It's disingenuous to suggest that that sort of diet has any sort of bearing on a low carb high fat diet.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I think most people can agree that sugar is bad for you. And it's a fact that grains are inflammatory, not to mention that there is nothing they provide that can't be found in better sources like vegetables, meat, eggs, and fruit. You can make an argument based on this study or that one for ANY diet. Eat however you want, believe what you want, but just listen to your body. If it feels good then you are good. I know my body likes to be very low carb with a high carb day thrown in occasionally. In don't need some article to tell me I feel good.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Science is amazing, but it ignores reality all too often in trying to isolate variables. Common sense - as unscientific as it might seem - trumps isolated data. It might take science ten years to prove that flies eat poop. They'd have to set down tons of parameters, develop intrumentation to gather data, set up scenario after scenario to test, retest, peer review and verify the validity of each experiment. It might take weeks to define "flies", "eat" and "poop", and how they relate. And they'd uncover a lot of interesting - but largely useless - data along the way. But we both know flies eat poop. So when reports come out on both sides of the fence declaring flies don't eat poop, and flies do eat poop, you know where to stand.

Same for dietary science. We KNOW what humans eat. Plants, animals, each other, some dirt, some rotten fruit, bugs, etc. That's how we came about as a species, by eating everything in sight that didn't kill us off right away, and adapting to the rest, the mild toxins, and reproducing before dying.
    Common sense is entirely useless. Its common sense that says that being gay is a sin, its common sense that eating fat makes you fat, its common sense that red meat gives you cancer, its common sense that whole grains are the best food on earth, its common sense that eating powdered rhino horn cures erectile issues.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    98% of what I believe is simply what works for me. I've had over half a century to gauge what makes me perform and look the best.

The other 2% comes from reading and learning. Reading labels, articles on both sides of the fence on a given topic (GMOs, veg oils, soy, etc.). When I've assimilated and tested something new, if it works for me, it goes into the 98%. My body is my temple, but sometimes it's also my petri dish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast