Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Making meatballs - thickening the sauce?!

Making meatballs - thickening the sauce?!

Shop Now
    Ok - I've got THESE: Queen of the Kitchen: Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs in the pan right now. They're simmering in 2 cups of half and half, and after an hour, the recipe states that I'm supposed to add cornstarch to thicken the sauce. I know there are substitutes like potato starch, tapioca, arrowroot etc....what I'm wondering is if it's really necessary to add the starch at all? I know my "gravy" won't be very gravy-like, but is it going to make a big difference?

I'm NOT AT ALL familiar with cooking meat/gravy, so any input is welcome!!!

Also my half and half seems to be...curding? I'm not sure how else to describe it. Is that normal??!?

Nope. You can cook down the cream if its too thin. Just remove the meatballs and continue to reduce the cream.

I like to add dried mushrooms (powdered) to thicken things up. The mushrooms go well with nearly everything it seems. Might be worth a try next time but for now I think the sauce will be just be thin and not coat the meatballs like a normal cream sauce would. Still very tasty though.

It will be fine, the meat juices just will be watery rather than thick.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Shop Now
    Thanks, everyone, I feel better now!