Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would love to hear how primal helped you with your diabetes! page

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member

would love to hear how primal helped you with your diabetes!

OK, I know basically what you will say, but I would love to hear it anyway, for inspiration! Trust me, I will read it, and I will love reading it. Thanks!
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Hi I am the same, I love reading success stories and things!

I got to my highest weight last year and also got into diabetes territory last year. I was never officially diagnosed with anything more than prediabetes but that's probably because I avoided the doctor. If I had gone in between August-December last year I'm sure they would've upgraded my diagnosis!

I was having huge sugar binges, where I'd eat whole blocks of chocolate, packets of cookies, icecream etc. all in one sitting, and I was doing that once a week for a few months.

I started getting really bad lower leg swelling, my calves and ankles swelled up so badly I looked like I had sausage legs. I even got rolls on my feet from the swelling! I was so scared when that was happening. I didn't know why and I thought I was going to die or something because the stuff I read talked about heart failure. It is because of obesity and your heart struggling but I also now know there are links to diabetes as well.
    I also started getting a lot of skin infections, which I was more prone to because of my diabetic/prediabetic state.
    My fatigue levels were crazy and I was constantly crashing from my sugar highs.

After about 5 months primal I got my blood tests done again and my hba1c was totally normal - meaning my blood glucose over the last 3 months wasn't in the diabetic or prediabetic ranges.
    My cholesterol also improved majorly. The good cholesterols went up and the bad cholesterols went down!

So this way of eating has absolutely resolved my blood sugar control issues. No more leg swellings, no more chronic skin infections, and my fatigue improves every day
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    I've been Primal for a v short time and my #s have already decreased - my highest was 324 (eeek!) and I'm down to 150! It's still not normal, but I've only just started. I think my #s could go to normal even faster if I cut out dairy, but I'm having a hard time cutting milk in my tea.

I've just started a journal and if you want to start one too we could help each other out (my goal is to lose weight and be healthy too)
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    @nixxy that's awesome! I'm well excited about this way of eating!
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Hey! Primal helped me lose 20lbs. I still have A LOT to go, but its a start. I am only 5' tall and currently weigh 223 lbs. My highest was 244 which is when I began primal. Despit my weight I have never been particularly unhealthy, but I knew I was getting to the age where my luck would run out. I have never looked like I weigh as much as I do. The thinnest I have been in my post-high school adult life was about 165, at which point I looked downright skinny. I reached this weight only because I was in a horrific car accident which involved a diet of basically nothing followed by having my jaw wired shut to heal for 6 weeks. PB is the longest I
    have stuck with any way of eating and I plan on sticking to it forever. It is what makes me feel good! That's all I can ask for.

Motorhead is offline Member
    I was diagnosed about 1.5 years ago Type II with an A1C of 7.7 After 3 months primal was at 5.4 and since then, lowest was 5.2. I have lost 80 pounds so far and have about another 50 to go. I still binge once or twice a week, but it's usually after a hard workout and my insulin sensitivity is high enough that my body can put that glucose to good use. I also IF and don't typically eat breakfast or lunch most days. Lipids have improved greatly as well, but triglycerides are still a little high for my liking and HDL is still low but getting better on Niaspan.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    I was a type-II from november/2010 until august of this year. a1cs started in the 8's. got it down to 5.1. fasting glucose is now 84. weighed 430+lbs in november of 2010 and weigh in at 250lbs now.

my doctor recently took the diabetes diagnosis off of my charts.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I think your results will depend on how long you have been diabetic. I am an 11 year type II. I started this journey September 2011 weighing in at 376, I am at 268 as of yesteday. When I started my Primal Journey, I took myself off of insulin and my sugars went way up. Unitll a month ago, my sugars were in the mid to high 200's and that was still taking glimepiride and Jamumet. Last month, I got started on the Blood Sugar Solution by Dr. Hyman, which is almost Primal, I tweeked it a bit to make it Primal, and my sugars are finally coming down. I have now been as low as 113, but I am averaging around 130 - 140
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Last year I was warned that I am nearly pre-diabetic. I was doing paleo at the time, and carbed up on the weekends. I switched to Primal over the course of the year training myself to eat more fat & less carbs, and a few weeks back I had another run of blood tests... and no calls, which means my blood work is normal.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cool, and ty. I read all of them.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast