Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sh*t my husband says... page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think anyone said that salt was the enemy.

Only that your palate changes and you often "need" less salt.

When I go out to dinner with my parents, who love places like Applebees, the food is terrible. Limp veggies, over-salted everything, and the desserts? Nasty nasty sugar. It's because my palate doesn't prefer and/or require that much 'seasoning/sweetening" and so I don't like that food.

When I go to high-end restaurants and the like (which are great here). Things are perfectly seasoned. You dont' taste salt, you taste the food. Salt is a flavor enhancer, meant to bring out or intensify the flavors of the foods that you are preparing/eating -- you shouldn't be tasting the salt itself, really.

And that's how I prepare food. My bone broth tastes like really rich broth, not like salt water. Boxed broths taste like salt water to me -- they have too much salt.

No, it's not the enemy at all. But good seasoning is really a matter of the palate.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I also am happy to agree with the idea of two meals, if that's what works for you.

Honestly, I have friends who eat like that -- he eats "kids food" as he calls it, and she eats food. Nearly everything he eats (except on Saturdays when he grills a steak), comes from a box and can be microwaved. So that's what she preps up for him (and puts it on a plate), and then she preps her own food.

I think it's a great compromise.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a hard time getting the salt right for my own broth. Way too salty last time. I couldn't finish it. I used it to make the current batch now.

You are living my life. The tentative taste with the raised eyebrow indicating the message: "Is this poison?" Then the inevitable complaint. "Is this cooked all the way?" (This was tonight. Other nights are different.) Big giant babies, some of these men.

I can't tell you how many dinners he's cooked that I've endured without peep from me. My butt burned off the next day after so many spices.

I swear I'm going to go to Trader Joe's and just get a stack of frozen pizzas and tamales and I'll heat those up for him and save the rare steaks and chops for myself. Who needs to waste good food on a big giant baby like that?
    If we didn't live on opposite sides of the country, I could swear my husband was secretly polygamous, lol.

My husbands insists on having his steaks burnt, no red inside. He thinks eating pink meat will kill him. He has gone with me to pick up the grass-fed beef from our co-op, but he still thinks he might die. I tell him I use a meat thermometer, and that I am food-safety certified (well, I was, through McDonald's corp, when I was 19, but still, I know what temperature beef should be to be cooked), but it still scares him to death. I tell him that eating burned meat will give him cancer, but half the time he thinks he already has cancer somewhere, and the other half of the time he says "but I just don't like it!"

We've compromised, I will only make pot roasts for him. And I will make medium-rare steaks for myself with lots and lots of gooey fat on them. Marriage - it's what brings us together.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Reason number 1,236,998,009 I am never getting married, lol. Or at least not to someone who eats like a toddler!
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    amen Jena. it's too late for me, save yourself!!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    Reason number 1,236,998,009 I am never getting married, lol. Or at least not to someone who eats like a toddler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    LOL. My dog appreciates Primal cooking.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I am finding that without the sodium added in processed foods, I actually need the salt. So I do add it to my food - and love it !!!!!!
    Husbands hmmmmmm thats a whole nother matter !!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Defo need to roast the bird first, then take all that juice that runs out of it and sets like jelly in the bottom of the roasting pan and add that into the stock too, (after you have ripped the skin off the chuck and eaten it dipped in this lush fatty juice stuff)

Save most of the meat for eating cold, boil the carcuss and all the nasty bits up for hours, put through a stainer then pick all the meat off the bones (if you are going to blend the soup chuck the skin in the eating pile too) I usally add the veggies into the soup, celary, carrots, onions, leeks, parsnips, mushrooms what ever is in the bottom of the fridge that isn't too bitter (don't reccomend green bell peppers, or stuff that goes too mushy like brocolli) Mixed herbs, black pepper, garlic and your done, (salt to taste of you want, but tend not to bother we just don't have the taste for it)

I have never had a bad or bland stock or soup, it's always wolfed down and that is why you ladies need to choose your husband better ;P
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Save most of the meat for eating cold, boil the carcuss and all the nasty bits up for hours, put through a stainer then pick all the meat off the bones (if you are going to blend the soup chuck the skin in the eating pile too) I usally add the veggies into the soup, celary, carrots, onions, leeks, parsnips, mushrooms what ever is in the bottom of the fridge that isn't too bitter (don't reccomend green bell peppers, or stuff that goes too mushy like brocolli) Mixed herbs, black pepper, garlic and your done, (salt to taste of you want, but tend not to bother we just don't have the taste for it)
    I roast a chicken stuffed with lemons, garlic and fennel and toss a bunch into the bottom of the pan as well. The pan juices come out omg-savory and the roasted fennel chunks are translucent and tasty. I then strain out the veggies and make a reduction out the juices with wine and butter and put that in ice cube trays. When I want to make something super flavorful - I add a cube or two of the reduction. It makes any normal broth signifigantly more complex and flavorful.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    +1
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast