Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My mom cannot lose weight page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

My mom cannot lose weight

Primal Fuel
    Hello,
    I have my mom trying paleo now for a while and she has lost ZERO weight. She is 61 years old and probably does not even eat 1200 calories. She exercises with weights and goes on the treadmill 3-4 times a week. She gains her weight in her midsection. I want to help her, she has cut out all grains and dairy yet she still can't lose weight. If its all about calorie reduction, I dont think she can get down any lower.

Her thyroid is normal and her hormones are normal as well at this point. She has been thin her entire life until she went through menopause, and it just seems that everything she does will not work.

ANyone in the same boat? Any advice I can pass on? I truly dont know how else to help without her depriving herself even more.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    It might help if you post a sample menu from a typical day.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

peril is offline Senior Member
    How much protein does she eat on average? Too little provokes a starvation response, slowing down the metabolism
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Is she gaining at all? Or just not losing. I lost some at first and it stalled out. I have been doing some tweaking since then to see what will get the ball rolling again. Things were moving along nicely again after reducing my dairy, but stalled out again. Just have to keep trying things. I try to eat a lot of fat and protein and then I can fast for most of the day.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Typical day would be a two eggwhite omelet, sometimes she does a small greek yogurt, or paleo bread

lunch is usually some salmon/ tuna maybe over salad, or in lettuce cups/

Dinner is a small serving of beef, chicken or fish (she loves fish) and then some cooked veggies, no starch or grains. Glass of red wine.

She has a piece of dark chocolate in the day maybe a piece of smoked salmon. I mean this woman eats like a bird, we always joke about it because I eat whatever I want in large amounts and she eats NOTHING.

It does not make sense. She did gain weight when I told her to eat more, I think she gains when she eats dairy but again if she had a piece of cheese its only one a week.

We've tried analyzing her diet and it just makes no sense.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    She's eating too little, too little fat (egg white omelets?), and then also eating dairy which likely causes her problems (does for most people), as well as paleo bread and wine.

I would cut dairy, paleo breads and any treats of this sort, and wine.

I would also look at her general sleep patterns (making sure she's getting enough), as well as her exercise routines -- making it more along the lines of the PB fitness, because a lot of people lift and treadmill very inefficiently.

This is what I would make for her -- which is what we have in our family:

2-3 eggs in butter (scrambled or fried, whole eggs), veggies steamed in bone broth (we each have about 1/2 a cup of bone broth each with breakfast, which is great for a lot of reasons), and then -- for DH and DS -- berries and coconut cream with flax oil. Now, I don't eat that last bit because I'm full of egg (i usually eat two), bone broth, and veggies.

I tend to eat two meals a day -- breakfast and dinner. Sometimes I feel like a snack, so I either have a small lunch (2 "sliders" plus some raw cut veggies -- both dipped in aoli) or I have a piece of fruit (sometimes with nuts). THen for dinner, it's typically meat, veggies, and then i finish with a piece of fruit.

I drink tea and water, and the only dairy that I eat is butter (it doesn't bother me, though other dairy does).

I eat around 1500 calories a day, and I suggest that she would probably be fine doing the same.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I am no expert but agree it looks like too few calories and too little fat. My seven year old who weighs 50 pounds eats 2-3 (usually 3) large free range eggs, sometimes some goat's milk cheese, three slices of bacon, an apple and a banana in the morning. Lunch might be a salad, a large green pepper, some type of protein like a sausage or salami, a sweet potato with a ton of butter, some dates with coconut or some raisins for a snack later. Your Mom isn't an active 7 year old but it really seems like she should up her fat and protein intake. Eat the whole egg at least.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    My next question is if you have also read the book.

My first thought is that the food is pretty lean. It doesn't look like there is enough fat.

You might want to read this posting from Mark: How to Eat According to the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple. Don't just skim it... plug in some numbers for her...

For example I am losing (slowly) and am low to moderately active. If I aim for 1400 calories a day, 80 grams of protein, and 40 grams of carbohydrate (because I want to burn fat at the moment), that leaves almost 100 grams of fat for the rest of my food. That fat comes from the yolks that come with my eggs, butter I cook them in, lard that I cook my meat in, the fat that is on/in the meat that I am eating, the butter or coconut oil I put on my vegetables, the spoon of fat I just eat out of the container - just because.

My two cents.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Totally makes sense. I also just read when you increase carbs and eat fats and proteins, it comes down to calorie counting whereas if you switch to protein and fats and low carb its basically fat burning mode so calories really dont matter. I just sat her down to explain this all.

She has read the book, its one of the only nutrition books she owns. I just dont know if she has followed it to a T yet. She doesnt want to eat a lot of protein shed rather eat veggies, but she tried a vegan diet and it was AWFUL for her. She lost her memory so terribly and she lost ZERO weight. She didnt even eat many grains, so it was surprising to me. I still am surprised how Ornish and McDougall work so effectively if its such high carb

How can that really be true about starvation? People who go on calorie restricted diets look awful, they are not overweight in anyway. If that were true anyone barely eating anything would be overweight no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast