Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Looking beyond what everyone else says page

  1. #1
    bobsbarricades's Avatar
    bobsbarricades is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    8

    Looking beyond what everyone else says

    Primal Fuel
    I had a bone marrow transplant and thank God vigorously every day that I'm still alive. yay!

    Now the aftermath.

    Short and sweet, I need carbs because they help me digest my food (my digestion is terrible and it's not uncommon to see totally undigested food in my poop. nuts, spinach, rice, etc..) So after probably a decade of trying to fix said digestive system (by staying away from carbs almost entirely) I'm realizing I just digest better with them.

    I've always eaten TONS of fruit and had a real healthy liver, but since I've got a donor immune system my liver has gone a bit haywire and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help it out until my new immune system stops misbehaving.

    thoughts? cut out those awesome fruits? it's not THAT much fructose but I'd like to know how it all breaks down. A banana, maybe 4-5 tablespoons of maple syrup throughout the day, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 2 handfulls of grapes; all eaten daily.

    Doesn't seem like a lot, and there's ALWAYS fiber with it. I just worry about my liver being so rowdy.

  2. #2
    Nady's Avatar
    Nady is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,263
    First thought was how long do you chew before swallowing? Digestion begins in the mouth~ it's possible you do have digestive issues but it's also possible that thorough chewing could help.

  3. #3
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    That actually is quite a bit when I check it on Cronometer. Well over 100 grams of almost straight fructose. You probably don't need to cut the fruit out entirely, but you could easily stand to lower it a bit. I'd start with just the berries for a while, see how you do, and then add back in more (very, VERY slowly though), to see where your acceptable tolerance level is.

  4. #4
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    that fruit intake sounds delicious. fear not the fructose in fruit. it aint a bottle of coke. people around here get crazy...

  5. #5
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    that fruit intake sounds delicious. fear not the fructose in fruit. it aint a bottle of coke. people around here get crazy...
    Not everybody reacts to fructose in exactly the same way. You can't make an umbrella statement like "fructose is fine for everybody."

    This is why I recommend everybody experiments with fruit for themselves to determine their own tolerance levels.

  6. #6
    jakey's Avatar
    jakey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You can't make an umbrella statement like "fructose is fine for everybody."
    phewh, good thing i didn't say that!

    if you don't react well with fructose (malabsorption issues), don't eat it. but i refuse to believe that anyone has gotten non-alcoholic fatty liver disease from eating a banana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and a couple of handfuls of grapes every day. get real.

  7. #7
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    phewh, good thing i didn't say that!

    if you don't react well with fructose (malabsorption issues), don't eat it. but i refuse to believe that anyone has gotten non-alcoholic fatty liver disease from eating a banana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and a couple of handfuls of grapes every day. get real.
    My problem is that I react to the sugar craving from fruit. I can't eat just a little. When I eat fruit, the sugar triggers a reaction in me and I eat more and more and more and more. It's not a malabsorption issue, but a lack of being able to control my intake to a reasonable level. And then you might run into issues if you're eating THAT much on a daily basis.

    Sugar triggers binging for me. I've known this for years, even from fruit, so I personally, try to avoid it as a result. Other people might want to do the same for similar reasons. Malabsorption is not the only reason (though it can be ONE) some people choose to avoid fructose you know.

  8. #8
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,965
    Add bone broth, fat and probiotics.

  9. #9
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,916
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsbarricades View Post
    I had a bone marrow transplant and thank God vigorously every day that I'm still alive. yay!

    Now the aftermath.

    Short and sweet, I need carbs because they help me digest my food (my digestion is terrible and it's not uncommon to see totally undigested food in my poop. nuts, spinach, rice, etc..) So after probably a decade of trying to fix said digestive system (by staying away from carbs almost entirely) I'm realizing I just digest better with them.

    I've always eaten TONS of fruit and had a real healthy liver, but since I've got a donor immune system my liver has gone a bit haywire and I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help it out until my new immune system stops misbehaving.

    thoughts? cut out those awesome fruits? it's not THAT much fructose but I'd like to know how it all breaks down. A banana, maybe 4-5 tablespoons of maple syrup throughout the day, 1/2 cup frozen berries, 2 handfulls of grapes; all eaten daily.

    Doesn't seem like a lot, and there's ALWAYS fiber with it. I just worry about my liver being so rowdy.
    You had a bone marrow transplant and you are asking a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet for advice?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

  10. #10
    Shari Bambino's Avatar
    Shari Bambino is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    13
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You had a bone marrow transplant and you are asking a bunch of nutjobs on the Internet for advice?
    This was my first thought as well. Everyone's pretty much talking out of their asses on this one since I don't think anyone has had a bone marrow transplant or has had occasion to give nutritional counsel to someone who has. I could be wrong on that I suppose. If you are sure it's carbohydrate that helps your digestion then maybe think about cutting back on the fruit a little and replacing it with some sweet potato or other safe starch? Just playing around with where the CHO comes from might make a difference. The other thought I had was to try a digestive enzyme. They seem to be helpful for many with digestive issues.

    And you aren't kidding about yay for being alive! Good job on that. Amazing! Continued good health and long life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •