Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking beyond what everyone else says page 2

bobsbarricades is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    hahaha, it was 18 months ago with a relapse, chemo, and 2 acute-leading-to-chronic-GVHD. I take anything online with a grain of salt. I need information to make decisions and this fructose thing is new to me but might help out my liver.

My body is complicated, and has always been needy so I have been keeping track of everything myself with little help from doctors (I may be the only person to ever have his neuropathy consistenyl worsen while taking fluconazole) as they just know one way; my onc now is super awesome because he listens to me and guages what he knows with what I know about my body.

The fructose (minus sprinklings of maple syrup in other things like milk/quinoa/soup) all comes from the same meal. Ever hear of Dr Budwig? I get 3 tablespoons of flax seed oil I grind myself and make it water soluble...mmmm. Fat+fiber are everywhere in my diet. For years it's been "If God didn't make it, I'm not going to eat it" but I am learning I have issues with saturated fat and land-meats (been grass fed or nothing for about 6 years now?), now possibly fructose?

Anyway I came here more for ideas on where to get fast carbs to help digestion. I will look at how much I chew as I have had that issue in the past. I eat so slow now (usually meals take 1-2 hours) I might not be paying attention.

Buckwheat, quinoa, and mung beans are already on my list. [edit - Thanks! add sweet potatoes; I forgot about those gems.]

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Fast carbs not listed, but primal approved are yams, all squash and zucchinis, and even carrots.

Note the connection that these are all starchy root vegetables and that should put you on the right track.

Damn, now you've got me drooling over the thought of a good plate of mashed butternut squash. *drools*

stoney56 is offline Member
    This is where Robb Wolf would say to try some now foods super enzymes. Undigested food in the stool is a sign that your system is not doing it's job. It could be a result of your other health issues, but I would give the digestive enzymes a shot to see if it helps. If you got your digestion working better, maybe you could lower your carb intake in the long term.

I have recently started taking some digestive enzymes (not NOW, but a good one, can't remember; however I am aware that everyone reacts differently to different kinds? These seem to be working but they might be doing some funny business with my stool - investigating).

It's not that I eat a lot of "dedicated-carb" even as is; that flax thing is the biggest contributor. Everything else is veggie of some sort or fish. It gets real complicated because if I eat too much protein my kidneys start complaining when I lay down at night.

is there any place online that will show me the glucose vs fructose content of various fruits? I know honey is almost 50/50 but that's about the only one I know, and it's not a fruit.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Healthy fruits – Fructose content edition | Thor Falk

Also on this page is a link to information on how fructose puts strain on the liver. Apparently, don't eat too much fructose at once.

4-5 T maple syrup is a lot of sugar. Mainly sucrose if I remember correctly. Honey is mostly fructose. I love raw honey for its enzymatic activity, though.

I'm not going to offer any advice, but I do have a question: Is your digestion too quick? Are you passing undigested food because your food is rocketing through your GI tract?

Congratulations on making it through a real crisis! I wish you continued health and success.

Houston Enzymes have a great reputation in the autism community. Many kids with Autism have impaired digestion. For my son, it was protein digestion. I used a prescription enzyme (Creon), but Dr. Devin Houston offers some quality broad spectrum enzymes. AND, he will personally answer questions. He is a blessing. Although is is marketed toward kids on the spectrum, his product can be for anyone.

Home Houston Enzymes

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12