Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift: Is Nearly Passing Out Normal? page

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member

Deadlift: Is Nearly Passing Out Normal?

Shop Now
    So pretty much every time I do heavy deadlift day (250 lbs or higher, generally--under that seems to be fine), I feel super lightheaded after I put the bar down for several seconds. I haven't passed out ever, but sometimes I need to hold onto something until it goes away. And yes, I promise I have great deadlift form and am breathing correctly. I also get this to a lesser degree from heavy squats sometimes. I assume it's not a real issue, but was wondering if it happens to anyone else or if I should be concerned at all.

Also, I dislike deadlifts. Always have. Love lifting weights, though. I know they're pretty necessary for me.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Deadlifts are my absolute favorite lift. And I also get the light-headed seeing stars thing sometimes when I go "heavy."

I attribute it to the beastly awesomeness of the deadlift.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I love deadlifts. They make me happy, and as a woman, there's something deeply satisfying in knowing I can haul that much weight off the ground. I get the same thing on heavy deads and sometimes squats, as does my partner. I think it's a blood pressure thing.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Just make sure you are getting enough air and taking a pause at the bottom. A lift like deadlifts can really raise your blood pressure. When I go heavy I never go higher than 3 reps. Pause at the bottom, take a few deep breaths, reset my grip, go again.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Normal when squeezing out that last heavy rep. I also get it at the top of heavy power cleans.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i hate deadlifts too! absolutely love squats though. not sure what's causing your issue, if not breathing

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Good chance its a vasovagal response.

Gene is offline Junior Member
    When you release the valsalva maneuver the blood pressure drops to the brain? That's what I concluded when it happened to me. I also experience it mainly with the dead lift.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I got really lightheaded today after 3x320, needed to sit down. It happens. Blood pressure drop after release of tension.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Careful not to attack anyone when you get this response. There have been cases of extreme violence during things like this.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast