Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just started a Nutrition class at college... page

Nelle is offline Senior Member

I just started a Nutrition class at college...

Shop Now
    I know this is totally random and probably not read-worthy but it entertains (and delights!) me so I had to share. I started an online Nutrition class at the local community college and even though I JUST started reading through course work and clicking links to a Harvard website about "healthy food", I can already see that this will be an interesting quarter. I love that Primal/Paleo has completely changed my outlook and knowledge on food but this will be a battle. I absolutely do not believe in what the government/Harvard/teacher thinks is "healthy eating" but I do want to get a good grade so this will be a fine line. Principles vs Grade. Let the battle begin!

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    lol, im planning to study in that field when I get in college. should be an interested experience. keep me updated
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    there's no need to sacrifice either your principles or your grade. your nutrition class may get a bit preachy, but science is science. x causes y...simple as that. protein has x effect on the body. if your class starts demonizing saturated fat (it will), go back to the science (i.e. effects of saturated fat alone instead of when combined with sugar/transfats/grains/etc.).
    also, it's worth it mention that there is enough cross-over from CW to primal/paleo to work from common ground. everybody agrees on whole foods. and, if you have to, you can easily design a week long meal plan that would satisfy both mark sisson and whatever low-fat dinosaur that might be teaching your class.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    If you have to write a paper for the class, why not focus on the science behind the foundation of the primal blueprint? If it's well written and convincing enough, with good references and solid science behind it, maybe you'll change your teacher's opinions on nutrition?
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-24-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

So far, my reading is condemning fat ("use sparingly") & meat ("5-7 oz per day, every other day") while happily pushing grains and legumes (with every meal). Interestingly, in the same chapter, they talk about how the body is made up 62% water, 16% fat, 16% protein, and 6% carbs, minerals, etc. Hmm... seems we ought to feed our body what it is made up of. It also talked about how we absorb protein from animals better than we do from plants. (would legumes fall under the plant category?) How can they say that meat isn't great for you but then agree it's the best source of protein? But they talk over and over again about how bad red meat is because of the saturated fat-- can't it just a "in moderation" thing? Eating chicken breast every day would be boring...

Since it's an online class, we had to write a little introduction about ourselves in which I included that I am a Paleo/Primal. Interestingly, one other gal said she is too!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If you accept that saturated fat causes heart disease, red meat IS bad for you.

I don't accept wheat 'in moderation' and I can totally accept someone who thinks saturated fat will kill you not accepting it in moderation either.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I think you'll find that if your class is at an undergraduate level, the course material will be very much 1+2=3, ie. there is right or wrong. But if the paper is at postgraduate level it can be a lot more fun because you have the ability to compare two sides of an argument and come up with some well reasoned conclusions. I'd like to see some post- grad work going to some of these dieticians and nutritionalists that really challenges cw, their responses would be interesting. Keep us posted......

Update!

So we are nearing the end of the quarter and I'm about to lose my mind. We have a discussion forum for coursework or random topics and right now everyone is demonizing eggs. "I'm sure if you lead an active healthy lifestyle, an egg yolk once in a while is fine." and "I'm worried about the cholesterol and fat in eggs"

Kill me now. (ok not really!)

It's taking everything in my willpower not to freak out. I don't think everyone has to agree with Primal/Paleo but I do think they should agree that eggs aren't the problem but rather fake food, processed food, GMO, and corn-fed animals are the problem. NOT EGGS.

Thanks for letting me vent!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    major in biochemistry instead
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

AFishOut is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Nellie - I just posted something similar about the vegan blues. Sometimes it's possible to go insane listening to people drivel on about stuff they wish was true. At least I'm not getting graded on it. Hang in there - almost done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast