Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stubborn people and refusing to fix health problems

Hybrid View

Stubborn people and refusing to fix health problems

Don't you just hate it when people ask you for advice, then berate you because your methods are "too extreme" and "unfair"? Long story short a younger sibling of mine has some serious gastrointestinal issues. I am talking about a teenager year old with gut problems worse than many 65 year olds, chronic gas, bloating, diarrhea, her villi and good bacteria are most likely completely gone(and this came from a doctor), their enzymes are screwy, its just bad.

I had similar problems(though less extreme) but after a few months of a primal/GAPS/weston a price fusion diet my issues have subsided(enzymes, probiotics, bone broth and fermented foods added in as well as avoiding crappy food). My parents and sister were curious over what worked, after I told them they flipped out called it "too extreme and unfair". So they went to a doctor, and to their surprise, the doctor reccomended the same thing, less fried, processed, refined food, probiotics, enzymes and absolutely no fast food, the only difference is the doctor did not say anything about bone broth and reccommended some whole grains(unsoaked CW-style). Needless to say my father, mother and sister are all b*tching about how unfair this all is. She refuses to eat anything but french fries, chicken strips and cheese nachos because "she is picky" and when something else is suggested they all freak out with the same "not everyone is meant to be a thin stick" retaliation. They refuse to believe that diet plays a role in all this. To top it off they refuse to take any supplement or even CW-style medication on a regular basis, they will take it once then complain about it "not working", after being told it will take a month or two to see results.

To top things off my other sibling who is around the same age is a high metabolism, mesomorph blessed with a cast iron stomach(you know the people that can sit on their asses,eat twinkies and still look like atheletes). My parents can only complain about how unfair it is that they can gorge on daily fast food and not have any problems, yet their other daughter is "confined" to a restrictive diet. The sick part is their condition has only worsened due to not following any advice, the monthly check in is coming up and the results are not going to please their doctor at all. I visited this past weekend and they spent a half hour asking what they should do and I told them I don't know what to do anymore. Needless to say this angered them and I was called "unhelpful" and "rude" and told "if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem". Don't you just hate it when people don't follow advice then blame you for the problem?

You could buy a copy of the GAPS book and give to them and just say, "It's explained in here."

I think trying to explain things to people can get very difficult, especially if they're not inclined to take advice from you because of who you are (viz. a family-member).

Give them the resource, and they'll either read it (and, let's hope, take it to heart) or they won't. But whatever happens you put the opportunity in their way, and it's better than getting into arguments.

i lol'ed a bit about them complaining about your sister's "restricted" diet, since it sounds like she pretty much self-restricts, albeit with utter crap. funny too how eliminating grains seems so impossible to so many, when eating this way allows foods NOT permissible in so very many other ways of eating. foods like meat, butter, avocado, coconut milk, etc. can be part of everyday! without guilt! no "cheating"!

if your truly improved health isn't sufficient testament what more can you do? give them books and links on the interwebs. you cannot make them change. families are such a pita, lol.

you can only lead a horse to water, ya know?

good luck.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

People are addicted to the carbs.

Funny, when my husband convinced me to do the FSND reboot (juicing) everyone we knew was supportive, "oh yeah, good idea, so healthy, I should do that again myself." But when we switched primal everyone was suddenly "what? oh no, I could never give up pasta! that's crazy!" It was almost a visceral reaction, like if we told them we were becoming cannibals. So, drinking nothing but kale juice for days on end is acceptable, but just cutting out grains is crazy? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    So, drinking nothing but kale juice for days on end is acceptable ...
    What it would be is pretty inadvisable.

Would it would mean is a rather large intake of a raw brassica, which is a goitrogen:

Goitrogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thing is that people know hardly anything, but they think they know it all. Practically speaking they're totally divorced from any real firsthand knowledge of where foods come from, how they should be sourced and prepared, and what effects they have. Instead they have a set of superstitions, and random beliefs that are the deposits of broken scientific theories about food and ideas that have been planted in their minds by advertising.

Any hunter-gatherer would have an immense amount of practical knowledge of that sort. They know some type of insect should be given to pregnant women, that eating adrenal glands from a deer will ward off scurvy and so on.

By comparison, the average person in a modern society, who people would imagine to be more sophisticated (and who probably is in some ways), has a head filled with rubbish when it comes to opinions about what to eat and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What it would be is pretty inadvisable.

Would it would mean is a rather large intake of a raw brassica, which is a goitrogen:
    I may have exaggerated a bit. You also juice a lot of tomatoes, beets, cucumber, bell peppers, spinach, cabbage, onion, carrots, peas, and broccoli - in other words lots of nightshades and other goitrogen substances.

But - but, I think that teenage girl probably deserves a 2-week juice fast. That will show her what "deprivation" actually looks like. Plus, her intestines probably need a good long rest.

I may have exaggerated a bit. You also juice a lot of tomatoes, beets, cucumber, bell peppers, spinach, cabbage, onion, carrots, peas, and broccoli - in other words lots of nightshades and other goitrogen substances.

But - but, I think that teenage girl probably deserves a 2-week juice fast. That will show her what "deprivation" actually looks like. Plus, her intestines probably need a good long rest.
    as someone who dealt with disordered eating for decades, juice fasting like this is one of the WORST things you can do. it's a sugar fest. you juice the veggies and fruits, remove the fiber and drink the remaining sugars. it's an insulin merry-go-round. for somebody that lives on crap food, drinking kale and beet juice for 2 weeks is damaging -- not healthy, in any way.

i have no problem with actual fasting, and do it myself now -- wholly. but that's because my insulin is safely regulated by my everyday diet.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]as someone who dealt with disordered eating for decades, juice fasting like this is one of the WORST things you can do. it's a sugar fest. you juice the veggies and fruits, remove the fiber and drink the remaining sugars. it's an insulin merry-go-round. for somebody that lives on crap food, drinking kale and beet juice for 2 weeks is damaging -- not healthy, in any way.
    Oh, yeah, I don't think juicing is healthy. But one of the nice things about starting Primal with 16 days of FSND (we only did juicing-only a few days of that) was that my husband was thrilled to eat meat again, so now he feels that Primal isn't deprivation at all, it is living in the lap of food luxury (though he still sometimes talks about nutella on bread, idiot, he still such a sugar-addict).

I think a small amount of juicing can be okay for people with severe auto-immune and leaky-gut issues, which is what Phil and Joe (the guys in FSND) had. Why? I read the FSND forums, and everyone was like "what about fiber?!?" But then when people share TMI a lot of them are still crapping great amounts. After reading Gut Sense a few days ago about how some people have an incredible backlog in their intestines from eating way too much fiber and other crappy processed foods, and how a lot of people have damaged their guts, I think an almost-no-volume eating plan for a short amount of time could be helpful. The body stores enough b12 and other nutrients to tide the person over until they start eating easily-digested fats and build out from there. I know Gut Sense has supplements to solve this whole thing, but I am much more in favor of solving digestion issues with actual food.

But yes, the sugar rush is a problem. Some of the FSND recipes include putting olive oil in the juices (yummy? not really). But what is the sugar load of cabbage and cucumber anyways? Granted, when I mentioned juicing to people we knew and they said they had done it before they always went on to say "but you have to add lots of apples to make it taste good." If I was a much ruder person I would have said "yes, and you are obviously still quite obese." But since I am a nice person I just thought it. I was, at least, very careful with the amount of apples and carrots.

If nothing else, juicing keeps people away from grains and legumes, which also heals their gut. The fact that Joe and Phil have to go back on juicing a few times a year to re-heal their guts was the thing that led me on my search that landed me here.

People are addicted to the carbs.

Funny, when my husband convinced me to do the FSND reboot (juicing) everyone we knew was supportive, "oh yeah, good idea, so healthy, I should do that again myself." But when we switched primal everyone was suddenly "what? oh no, I could never give up pasta! that's crazy!" It was almost a visceral reaction, like if we told them we were becoming cannibals. So, drinking nothing but kale juice for days on end is acceptable, but just cutting out grains is crazy? WTF?

lol

It was almost a visceral reaction, like if we told them we were becoming cannibals.
    I think I'm going to have to just try saying, 'Oh, I'm a cannibal,' the next time someone asks me how I did it. Too irresistible.