Thread: Body Fat Surprise page

bdlee73 is offline Member

Body Fat Surprise

Primal Fuel
    I used a body fat estimator today and was pleasantly surprised with the results: 13%!!!

I was blown away with how successful Primal eating and working out has been. Considering that 4 years ago I weighed in at 215+ pounds and am down to 169 is awesome. Before primal I was at 174, but I was a flabby 174.

Maybe I'll shoot for single digits before I turn 40?

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    I am 44 now, and do quite a bit of exercise, I run classes etc, but I have really found that I am heading towards a great physique since going primal. I am pretty strict, 100% all the time at the mo really. The six pack is showing, sprints are improving, and I love the bodyweight exercises I do too.

I am heading to a local uni to try out their Bodpod on Wednesday to get some body comp numbers. I could do skinfold tests myself (with some help) but the Bodpod interests me so going to try it out. I reckon I am around 15% or so, was 21% in March 2012.

I weight in at 80.9kg at the mo, I'm 188 cm

I intend to hit 10% for sure

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I guess im in the same age group as you two. I'll be 36 in November. Single digit bf% was (is?) my main goal for 2012, but I've hit a wall big time... I'd guess I'm in the 12-15% range, which is leaner than I've ever been, but I am having a devil of a time busting through it. I've made zero progress in the past 10 weeks in terms of leanness. My strength is good, my training is consistent, my diet is consistent, eating "leangains" IF style.. running about a 1000 calorie deficit on rest days and about a 250-500 calorie deficit on training days. It's really beginning to grind at me. I have no idea what the next step is. I'm beginning to wonder if my BMR is lower than what all the BMR models suggest. I've been between 215-220lb range without fail since February. Was making good progress until June or so.. Tough sledding since then. Good luck on your quest for single digit bf, tell me wtf I'm doing wrong once you figure it out!

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcb View Post
    I guess im in the same age group as you two. I'll be 36 in November. Single digit bf% was (is?) my main goal for 2012, but I've hit a wall big time... I'd guess I'm in the 12-15% range, which is leaner than I've ever been, but I am having a devil of a time busting through it. I've made zero progress in the past 10 weeks in terms of leanness. My strength is good, my training is consistent, my diet is consistent, eating "leangains" IF style.. running about a 1000 calorie deficit on rest days and about a 250-500 calorie deficit on training days. It's really beginning to grind at me. I have no idea what the next step is. I'm beginning to wonder if my BMR is lower than what all the BMR models suggest. I've been between 215-220lb range without fail since February. Was making good progress until June or so.. Tough sledding since then. Good luck on your quest for single digit bf, tell me wtf I'm doing wrong once you figure it out!
    You sound very motivated! I don't count calories and really pay too much attention to how much I eat. I could give up beer if I really wanted but not sure if I want to go that far!

tcb
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlee73 View Post
    You sound very motivated! I don't count calories and really pay too much attention to how much I eat. I could give up beer if I really wanted but not sure if I want to go that far!
    I didn't either, until early this year when it became obvious that I was dropping a lot more muscle mass than I wanted to. Bumped up the calories and still managed to lean out a bit. Thought I was continuing to make slow and steady progress, until my pics this past weekend were identical to picks from early July. I'm reevaluating everything now.

davidhayesis is offline Junior Member
    I've made zero progress in the past 10 weeks in terms of leanness. My strength is good, my training is consistent, my diet is consistent, eating "leangains" IF style.. running about a 1000 calorie deficit on rest days and about a 250-500 calorie deficit on training days. It's really beginning to grind at me.
    Perhaps this is the answer. May be your being too consistent. Are you getting enough rest from training? Could you cut out ALL carbs for 2 weeks, just fat, then go back? It is not the number of calories you consume or expend that determine your weight, its where you get your cals' from. Grains, alcohol, caffeine, fruit, are broken down by the body into fat, in the same way as convention sugar. If you haven't already, read 'Body by Science', 'Why we get Fat" by Gary Tuabes, and 'Lights out' by T.S.Wiley, which talks about the necessity of sleep for health and sanity. Eight hours or more of sleep is the quickest way to loose weight, because at that time the natural probiotics kick in and repairs the immune system and the metabolism (think caveman hibernation). Anyway the point is, mix it up a bit.
    It's really beginning to grind at me
    , If it's boring or irritating it's going to fail eventually.

tcb
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhayesis View Post
    Perhaps this is the answer. May be your being too consistent. Are you getting enough rest from training? Could you cut out ALL carbs for 2 weeks, just fat, then go back? It is not the number of calories you consume or expend that determine your weight, its where you get your cals' from. Grains, alcohol, caffeine, fruit, are broken down by the body into fat, in the same way as convention sugar. If you haven't already, read 'Body by Science', 'Why we get Fat" by Gary Tuabes, and 'Lights out' by T.S.Wiley, which talks about the necessity of sleep for health and sanity. Eight hours or more of sleep is the quickest way to loose weight, because at that time the natural probiotics kick in and repairs the immune system and the metabolism (think caveman hibernation). Anyway the point is, mix it up a bit. , If it's boring or irritating it's going to fail eventually.
    I don't eat grains outside of the occasional couple times a year trip to the sushi place. Only eat fruit and tubers post work out. If I drink alcohol more than once or twice a year, it's been an epic party year for me. This is the first I've heard of caffeine being stored as fat, I do drink a good deal of black coffee. I sleep 7-8 hours a night, I wake up after that. I couldn't sleep 10 hours if I wanted to... my wife does not have that problem. I'd guess that about 90% of the meat I eat comes from grass-fed, pastured, or wild game sources that I harvest myself. I don't think the quality of my calories are the question. Thanks for the suggested reading. I'll add them to the hopper.

davidhayesis is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for writing back, sounds like your doing every thing 'better than good',I,m really impressed and inspired, (I hope you don't think I was trying to teach you to suck eggs)I was just trying to offer up some ideas perhaps from a different angle. Any way success to you!

tcb
    No, not at all. I just don't think it's a diet quality thing.. but something is definitely not working. I've tightened up the diet a bit this week and am tracking consumption a lot more closely. Hopefully, I can get the ball rolling again.