Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a reasonable amount of fruit? page 3

Primal Fuel
    How many calories a day are you counting? My goal is to lose too but I wish I had a guide line to follow as to what might be most ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I have been eating a cup of mixed berries and a small apple, banana or cup of cut up melon nearly every day and I'm pretty satisfied with my rate of weight loss. However, I count calories religiously, so theoretically, I could be substituting Twinkies for the fruit, even though that would probably make me feel like crap.

One thing I have noticed is that calorie for calorie, fruit doesn't keep me satisfied as long as most vegetables and I think it has more to do with the blood sugar spike and drop with fruit rather than the additional fiber in the veggies.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    How many calories a day are you counting? My goal is to lose too but I wish I had a guide line to follow as to what might be most ideal.
    What is "ideal" will differ depending on your age, height, weight, activity level and goals. There are a lot of different calculators online and when you plug your data into different ones, the results may vary by a couple hundred calories. Individual people's requirements may vary by at least that much as well. I use the LoseIt app, but there are lots of others. If you want to track calories, I would recommend doing more than just calculating how many calories you need to lose X lbs per week. Calculate the number of calories needed to maintain your current weight, to maintain your goal weight and your basal metabolic rate (the number of calories you'd burn in a coma). Theoretically, a deficit of 500 calories per day below the number required to maintain your current weight will give you 1 lb per week of weight loss. These will all be estimates, but they give you a feel for where a workable budget for you will fall. One number is not enough information to make the choices that will help you develop a sustainable way of eating.

A lot of people here are big fans of certain macro ratios. I lost weight steadily from 60-40% carbs, 25% protein and the rest fat. I actually lost faster at the higher carb ratios, but I was fatter then too, so it's not really fair to say much about the effect of carbs. Since I started counting calories in April, I've averaged about 1300 per day, ranging from 1000-2000 according to my appetite. So in the beginning, I ate 150g of carbs many days. Lately, I am more in the 75-100g range. I don't really aim for a particular ratio. I just focus on choosing good quality, nutrient dense foods that I enjoy and that keep me feeling full. I also eat dairy, fruit and probably too much alcohol.

Once I get down to 130lbs, I will probably push a little harder on macros, sketchy primal foods and building lean muscle mass. For now, I feel like I've got my hands full where I am.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123