Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another one takes the plunge!1 page

lauralou42 is offline Junior Member

Another one takes the plunge!1

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everyone!!

My name is Laura, I'm 43 and I live in Northwest England. I've been lowcarbing for several months and loving it, getting rid of the evil grains etc but am still struggling with lack of chocolate so have been indulging in small amounts of dark (85%) chocolate which I LOVE!! There is alot of similarity between 'LCHF' and primal (apart from dairy and amount of veggies) so I hover between the two, as I love cheese. One of the problems I have is that I'm not sure how much protein I should be consuming? I'm tiny, 5"2" and weigh 126 pounds so how much protein should I be consuming?

Am due to return to University this week to complete my 3rd year in Animal Conservation Science, highly anxious about this, got 2 kids, one in high school, the other is only 2 (starting with the dreaded terrible 2's) and am dreading what I will be able to eat in the cafeteria and having to explain why I am not eating the poison they will undoubtedly have on offer!! Would be nice to connect with some other mums, dads, mature student etc who are primal!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Mark suggests from 0.7 to 1 grams per day per pound of your lean bodymass.

There are online caklculators that'll give you a rough idea of your lean bodymass.

I'd have thought it would come out to around 90 grams for you. That sounds like a good figure to shoot for: I recently heard a researcher who"s an expert on protein say that while they calculate by per kg of bodymass his team believe there's a level you shouldn't go below even if you're rather small -- and that's 90 g per day.

If you think of around 30g at each of three meals. There are online tables that'll tell you roughly how much protein in meat, fish, eggs, nuts, etc. Something like 4 oz of meat or the equivalent. Get a handle on that and you don't need to weigh. Just think of such and such a food as coming in a portion the size of a pack of cards or a small paperback or watever.

Hi Lewis, Thanks for reply!! Wow that is a tiny amount of protein.....damn my puny size!!! Considering that I like to eat a 8oz steak (when eating out), that means I can only have half of it!!! Not good.......Have others had problems with this?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lauralou42 View Post
    Hi Lewis, Thanks for reply!! Wow that is a tiny amount of protein.....damn my puny size!!! Considering that I like to eat a 8oz steak (when eating out), that means I can only have half of it!!! Not good.......Have others had problems with this?
    Well, I guess there's no harm in going over somewhat sometimes - just no particular advantage to doing so.

I'd more expected that you might say "that's a huge amount" since it is a fair bit more than most people eat. But I guess I forgot you were already eating LCHF.

dances with wolves is offline Junior Member
    Hi Laura:

I'm another newby to the forums and so a big welcome to you. I am currently only seven weeks into primal eating to date (boy do I wish I'd known about it years ago).

Hope you enjoy your time here - take it easy.

Best regards

Steve

Hi, Thanks for replies. I think it's just that when you give up starch and sugar You assume you can eat more meat, to make up for it!!! Also, because I generally only like to eat 20g of carbs (to stay in ketosis) it means I have to eat alot of fat.......and there's only so much fat a girl can eat before blurgh!!! Think I'm going to have to tweak my diet a bit? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same size as you (5'3; 118). I can eat a 16 oz bone-in rib eye without problem. I found that I gained weight in the first month Primal because I just ate more meat/fat without watching my portion size. I've settled down now.

I've been considering going back to school full time next fall. I have no toddler, but do have 3 teens. I won't be using any cafeteria. Pack food if you reasonably can do it.

Good luck!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Laura!

tomboy2322 is offline Junior Member
    Hey Laura,
    So I just started the Primal life, literally. Today is the first day of my 21 day start off. I guess I don't have much help to offer as I'm so new at this. I am, however a full time college student. I'm only an undergraduate though and 18 years old. I have been wondering about the protein thing too. I weigh 130lbs at 5'8. Is 90g like the standard? But its nice to know there are other people dealing with the cafeteria thing too.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, Thanks for replies. I think it's just that when you give up starch and sugar You assume you can eat more meat, to make up for it!!! Also, because I generally only like to eat 20g of carbs (to stay in ketosis) it means I have to eat alot of fat.......and there's only so much fat a girl can eat before blurgh!!! Think I'm going to have to tweak my diet a bit? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Hi Laura welcome! Just a heads up, there is research out there showing that if you eat too much protein (your body can only handle so much) that your body will convert it to fat. I don't think it is detrimental to eat an 8 oz steak when you go out, but just keep in mind that you should keep this in check. Good luck on your journey.
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast