Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member

"Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal.

Primal Fuel
    About 6 months ago, a young girl moved into our development. She was about the same age as my own twin daughter's and I was excited for them to possibly make a new friend. They told me about this girl, and I told my kids to invite her to our home. Well, she came down for dinner, and was skinny as a rail. We asked her what she liked to eat, and she shrugged. So we started asking her about specific foods, and she said she didn't like any of the things we offered to her. So, I asked her again, "What do you like to eat?"

She shrugged again. So, I told her that I was cooking dinner, and she was welcome to eat what we put out, but if she didn't want to eat what we put out, well, tough cookies. I wasn't going to kiss her butt so she would eat. Dinner was on the table, and if I recall, she ate a few green beans, or something like that. I know that she didn't eat a lot.

After dinner the kids went to play, and then the girl went home. But she went home rather early. I was curious as to why. So, I went to my wife and asked if she knew why. She said that she did, but didn't really want to tell me. I pressed my wife for an answer, and she finally gave in. Turns out that the girl said to my kids, "Your dad is so fat!" And my kids asked her to leave.

She has never been back to our home.

Last week I was asking my kids about the girl, and why she wasn't coming over. They hemmed and hawed, not wanting to give me an answer. The most I could get from them was "She's just too rude." Of course, I already knew what the girl had said. I am glad my kids decided not to keep being friends with this 12 year old girl - not because of her calling me fat, but because I take pride in my kids being very polite. I have AWESOME kids. Well, mostly, LOL. I was glad because I didn't want this girl being a bad influence on my kids.

Also last week, my own daughter asked me to work out with her. She had just been advised during a health examination at school that she should lose 8 - 10 pounds. Now, I will say this: she used to be about 20 pounds too heavy, but as she grows taller, she's getting thinner on her own. Plus, a few weeks ago, she started playing CYO volleyball..... and she practices a couple times a week, and this week she had practice and 3 games! And another practice tomorrow night. So, she is already active.

Back to that girl.

While she was rude, she was also very much correct. I am 5 foot 5, and about 285 pounds. I have never been thin in my entire life - not even as a kid. In 1999, I dropped about 80 pounds through RELENTLESS exercise. I was biking about 75 miles a week, and spending another 10 - 15 hours a week in the gym. I was obsessed with losing weight. It wasn't really a good time for me. Every single day that I didn't work out, I beat myself up over it. I was not mentally healthy, I am sure. I got down to about 200 pounds. ( My highest ever was 326 pounds ).

Anyway, I have decided that I need a lifestyle change again. I need to adjust my diet, and get back to the gym, without becoming obsessed again. I'm going to start slowly, and start tomorrow, on September 24th, 2012.

I'm doing it for me, and I'm doing it for my family.

But when I get t where I want to be, I just might walk past that young girl's house without a shirt on!...10x.
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 09-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    people say a kid's honesty is a good thing, i say kids are annoying
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Paleobird Guest
    Welcome.

If there is one piece of sage advice I wish someone had given me back when I started it would be this : Read Mark's book first and follow it exactly as written for at least six months before taking anything said here on the forum all that seriously. There is some great advice here, some advice that is great for some people but dangerous for others, and then there is some stuff that is just pure nonsense. It is hard to know which is which when you are just starting out.

I wish you well on your Primal journey. Wanting to be there for your kids, healthy and vital, as they grow up is a great motivator.

Thank you Paleo!

While I haven't read Mark's books, I have been reading about paleo / primal for the last week. I also bought a book at Costco on the whole concept. I am contemplating if I need another book. I put 2 other books on reserve at the local library, though I can't recall which books. They should be coming to my local library this week. The one I have seems to be rather comprehensive, though.

You presence in my journal is much appreciated. In addition, I also started a blog on Wordpress. Now if I can only figure out how to actually use Wordpress, LOL!

Have a GREAT day!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    Thank you Paleo!

While I haven't read Mark's books, I have been reading about paleo / primal for the last week. I also bought a book at Costco on the whole concept. I am contemplating if I need another book. I put 2 other books on reserve at the local library, though I can't recall which books. They should be coming to my local library this week. The one I have seems to be rather comprehensive, though.

You presence in my journal is much appreciated. In addition, I also started a blog on Wordpress. Now if I can only figure out how to actually use Wordpress, LOL!

Have a GREAT day!
    Welcome to the forums PP.

Mark's book is excellent. It doesn't contain any information that isn't on his website. So if you are a voracious reader, you could just read that

Here's the link to the basic threads, with the 101 page being the most important to my mind.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Thank you magcmerl!

OK, so it is 6:28 AM here right now, and it's my first day. When I came downstairs and to the kitchen, the last thing I wanted to do was eat primal. I am used to, and love stuff like a big bowl of Cheerios with 2%..... or maybe a bagel SLATHERED in cream cheese. I almost cheated on my very first meal..... I'm up, on 4 hours sleep.... ( wife is away so I take the kids to school )... I have a tooth ache from root canal last week, and I think it is infected, My mouth tastes bad, and the area where the tooth is really hurts ( I am waiting on the cap for it ). And the dog's electronic collar is missing.

But I did eat primal, regardless. 2 eggs and 3 ounces of roasted red peppers. I have a feeling I'll still be hungry in an hour, but I will let this digest and see what's what.

OK, going to have to find something else to eat.... 230 calories at breakfast just isn't enough.... LOL, I bet I drank 300 calories in milk yesterday morning. That said, I am about to drink about 22 ounces of water. My paleo / primal book is part cookbook, but sadly, breakfast seems to focus on eggs, much like an Atkins program would. I don't want to add bacon often as I don't want that much salt.

My wife is out of town until Wednesday, so I was up with the kids. I'm not able to focus this early in the day, and I usually get out of bed at 9:30. I'm a SAHD who has his own business, so I can do that if I choose.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Glad to have you on! I agree with paleobird, find that works for you. There a lot of people doing a lot of different things on this forum and its easy to get caught up and sidetracked in all that. Marks a smart guy, his book lays out a close to perfect plan...but hey nobody is perfect! Good luck to you and looking forward to reading your journal
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    and love stuff like a big bowl of Cheerios with 2%..... or maybe a bagel SLATHERED in cream cheese. .....But I did eat primal, regardless. 2 eggs and 3 ounces of roasted red peppers. I have a feeling I'll still be hungry in an hour, but I will let this digest and see what's what.
    Go ahead and slather that cream cheese on your eggs. That's what I'd do.

Edit: Some of the guys on here (who aren't allergic to eggs like I am) eat quite a few eggs in one go. Since you were hungry so soon, then you need to eat more calories. (Especially as you transition to Primal eating.) Perhaps up the egg count, cook the eggs in butter or coconut oil, and add in some bacon.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have bacon and eggs every morning. I usually eat 6-8 eggs a day!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast