Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 9

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Day 5 - 9.28.12

I just thought I would show you who I am.... This is me, about 2 years ago, and about 15 pounds more than I weigh right now:

I no longer have the beard, but a goatee. And for some reason, my hair is not as grey as it used to be.... and no, I don't dye it or use Grecian for Men, LOL
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 09-28-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Re: your business ideas, a few thoughts.

It sounds like you want to open a restaurant not a commercial kitchen, which is creating a conflict of interest from your original idea.

When I think of commercial kitchens, I think of warehouse type white, modern, clean, functional area that has space to work. These types of places are usually located in awkward places. Back lots, on the edge of town, because those are the places where it costs less to operate.

If you're wanting to pick up foot traffic, or have people regularly come for dinner, then that's a whole separate idea. You have to have a better location, one where people will see you (or they forget about you), and you'll need to decorate and have ambiance. Better location will equal higher fixed costs, which is something you probably want to avoid.

Also, if I'm thinking correctly, if you're renting out space to people who don't have their own kitchen, they'll have things that they already want to be making. They won't want to come and fix dinner for a Wednesday night crowd, plus whatever they were planning to make in the first place. They'll want to be in and out, doing their own thing, not have the obligation to make something extra for someone else.

Also, if you have for example, your set-Wed. night dinner, and you have a chef in there cooking, it will take up kitchen space from someone else who would regularly be using that kitchen for whatever project they're doing.

Chefs from other restaurants will use their own kitchens and dining rooms with already existing nice ambiance to host their own special dinners. Perhaps a way to get "black tie" nights (and yes, you need to rename it, because who wears a black tie or evening gown to a stark commercial kitchen?) is to focus on a niche. Perhaps you could build up a grass roots type venture, where you're doing cooking classes which end in dinners for niche markets.

Maybe classes on how to ferment your own vegetables, kombucha, or kefir or a six week cooking class series on how to cook X, Y, & Z. Or something like that. I'm thinking that a commercial kitchen would lend itself well to cooking classes that end in a dinner.

If you wanted to sell meals as Zoe mentioned (it was Zoebird, wasn't it?). Perhaps again you could find a niche. Perhaps a Primal Niche, and then advertise at cross-fit gyms in your area. You could also, offer primal cooking classes to this same sub-set. I doubt that the school is selling and anti-inflammatory, organic meal...

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud, but as I read your brainstorming ideas, they kind of clash. For diners, to feel comfortable coming again and again, you need location and ambiance. For classes, sales, and kitchen you could set-up shop pretty much anywhere (that is still convenient) and if what you are offering is great, people will come.

Actually, I remember a bakery back home, and it was just a big kitchen, but people went there like crazy to pick up rolls and pastries because they were good. If you could come up with a local, organic, and seasonally appropriate Primal meals, you actually might be able to do a brisk business for those in a hurry. People are always looking for convenience.

Just my $.50. Good luck! Since you posted a picture. Here's me a few years ago. I'm back down to the same weight I was in this picture.

Hmmm photo isn't showing up, maybe my post was too long? I'll try to put it here.

Hmmm, the embed image feature doesn't seem to be working...

Here's me the long way: http://www.flickr.com/photos/i-m-bitter/2079903486/
    Last edited by lissee; 09-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks for your thoughts Lissee..... No way do I want to open a restaurant. I just want to utilize extra space. As good a cook as I am, I have no intentions of cooking professionally. The one thing I definitely disagree with you on, is whether caterers might want to, or not want to showcase their talents.

The idea of this place is to supply kitchen space for those who can't afford to have their own kitchens, so I would hope to be pulling the illegal / upstart caterers out of their home based kitchens, and into a legal, certified kitchen. I just read where Philadelphia estimates that they have about 2000 people catering illegally from their home kitchens. There is such a need to get people out of their home - non licensed kitchens - that Philly decided to open their own kitchen and lease space out, in an effort to get people into a legal kitchen. So, IMO, it is quite possible that these unlicensed businesses would indeed want to cook dinner at special event nights to get known. Even if they don't care about the legality, I am sure that some of these folks would love to have access to a professional kitchen.

Now, I didn't get my ideas from what I read. I have been working on this for about a year.

Most of my ideas have come from talking with people who own rental kitchens. I just figured that it can't hurt to get an outsider's point of view. I see you live in Austria, so maybe they don't do this there, but in the US, there are actually some restaurants that actually serve people dinner at tables set up in the kitchen. I know of at least 3 places that do.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    The whole thing sounds like a great idea to me. Are you planning to also rent, sell or lease commercial equipment? This might pay for the space and provide you with a living, then you are free to try all kinds of creative ideas. The model kitchen would be like a show room, which you would want anyway, all the rest is just gravy! You can try a bunch of ideas and see what sticks.

David
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 09-28-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

David, basically it goes like this:

Caterers can pay by the hour if the only need a little time in the kitchen, or they can pay a set number of dollars if they need it a lot. She also charges a $100 per month fee to "belong" to the kitchen.

So, here is "roughly" what might be charged:

Rent time in kitchen - About $35 per hour, and multiple caterers have to work together.... But there would be multiple 6 or 8 burner stoves with ovens. There would be separate ovens as well. There would be commercial mixers. Stuff like that is all included in the hourly or monthly fees. Things like pots and pans would NOT be included. They could be rented, tho.

Then there is cold storage.... Still working on numbers, but let's say $100 a month. Dry storage might be $75 a month. Then you can also rent locker space.

There is one place I know of about 30 miles from me that does this, and she - the owner - has told me the good and the bad from her side. She has one account that pays her $2000 a month on average.... and she said that in her place, depending on what is scheduled, she has up to 4 different caterers working in her kitchen at the same time. And her place is half the size of the place I am looking at. She has 1100 SF of kitchen space.

Some people - especially bakers - work in the wee hours of the morning. She has no staff on duty then. The caterers use pass cards to enter the building and the fridge. One of my biggest concerns was keeping the place clean, but it turns out not to be as big an issue as I thought. She said people do clean up after themselves because if they don't, she would terminate them as clients. Plus, she holds a hefty security / cleaning deposit. And, on top of all that, she has security cameras set up to monitor what is going on when nobody from her company is onsite.

I'm just looking for ways to use the 500 - 700 SF that won't actually be in daily use.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I would not rent space if I could not be the only caterer working in there at one time. Any caterer who deals with food allergies should not.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Hi Primal Papa, I'm American. I've only lived overseas since 2010.

You asked for our opinions, I gave mine.

Best of luck to you in your venture.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    I would not rent space if I could not be the only caterer working in there at one time. Any caterer who deals with food allergies should not.
    But with that much square footage, there could be multiple kitchen areas with dividers so they wouldn't be working together.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Well, to each their own.... You could pay for the whole kitchen if you like. This whole rental kitchen idea is not financially feasible to ANYBODY if you can only have one caterer at a time.

OK, so to move on from the kitchen, good news! I felt like my shirt I wore today was a little looser, so I happened to be driving by my doctor's office, and I dropped in to use a scale that they keep in the hallway. I got a chance to weigh myself, and I am 277! Now I know a lot of it might be water weight, but I will take it. So, I said I was about 285ish when I started on Monday, but for sure I wasn't less than 282.... so 277 pounds AFTER having eaten breakfast felt nice. I would absolutely LOVE to be in the 260s by November 1st. If I can accomplish that, then I know I can do this.

So far it has been easy, except for all the extra cooking. I don't mind the cooking; it's the dishes I hate washing!

Anyway, so far, a great day #5 so far.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast