Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 7

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Recipe for cookies & soup, please?

I'm a pumpkin fiend!
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Recipe for cookies & soup, please?

I'm a pumpkin fiend!
    +1 on the soup recipe. Had some the other day at a resturant and loved it.... So did my semi-primal wife....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    The soup recipe is in post 53. The cookie recipe really was kinda bad..... but here goes..... I adjusted SLIGHTLY from the place I got it....

Primal Pumpkin Recipe:

2 cups blanched almond flour
    1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 C maple syrup or honey..... I actually mixed them
    1 TB pure vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
    1 TBS pumpkin spice...... I used almost 2 TBS because I tasted the batter and it was bland.

Mix it in a bow.... don't even need anything electric to mix it; a fork will do.

In a preheated 350 degree oven, place the tray on the middle rack and cook for 30 minutes ( I actually recommend 25 minutes ).... just put the balls of "dough" on parhcment paper, according to where I got the recipe.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

How was the cookie recipe bad? Too dry, too bland, too moist, etc.?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    All that makes me wonder if they really have a clue about primal. ( again, not that I am an expert, but I can't imagine that being a smart idea ) Heck, maybe "I" am the dumb one... I don't know.
    ^ is why some wise ones of this forum warned you about straying too far from the book until you get some Primal time under your belt... don't worry - you aren't dumb, just new. Some folks just really like to tinker with eating times.

I am an EXCELLENT cook
    Awesome!! Be warned that I shall henceforth bother you for recipes for stuff I don't already know...

Oooh, and I may get in trouble for this, but today I cleaned the fridge.... and as I was wiping it all down, I threw away some nasty stuff that I can't eat, but my wife does... but rarely.... I can only hope she won't miss it! But she had lots of stuff that was loaded with HFCS..... and transfats. I don't know what PB says about trans fats, but "I" have no intention of eating them.
    Clean-fucius say: He who scrubs fridge has tossing rights...

I think somebody else said this, but I'll just say it again: paying attention to the quality of your fats will help the your state of health to an amazing degree. I highly recommend practically memorizing almost everything fat-related Mark puts out there. I can't believe how much I have changed, just doing this one thing really conscientiously. I almost cried when our beloved Earth Balance wasn't repurchased, but I decided to give it the ole' n=1 experiment, and lo and behold - unexpected wonders.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yes, get plain old regular primal down before you mess with the system. One of the things you'll see all too often is someone who tries a new variant every week and then complains they can't do primal and they are stalled.

It's like learning to bake; you have to get the basic skills first and follow the recipes, and then after a while you know when to add more pumpkin spice to suit your preferences. If you don't have a clue and just throw what you've heard cookies need in a bowl, then your chances of getting something that works are slim. Follow the basic recipe first, then try some variations once you have the basics well in hand.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people, once they are "professionals" at primal, will experiment with intermittent fasting. Our ancestors would have periods where they would be forced to go days without eating because food simply wasn't available. Some people duplicate that now b/c there are some potential health benefits (weak cells die without nourishment, etc, there is even some info out there that says it's good for stopping cancer in its tracks if it's creeping up on you).

Given your medical situations, I would adhere to the PB as closely as possible. Saturated fat is NOT bad for you. There are now so many studies out there that prove this point.

My grocery budget wasn't (and still isn't) set up for organic foods. What I would suggest is, for the time being, until you get comfortable with the lifestyle, just focus on getting fresh cuts of meat, veggies and fruits. Once you're comfortable with shopping and cooking (doesn't really seem to be a problem) and you're aware of how much you are and aren't eating (I eat WAY less food as a Primal being than I ever did before), then you can adjust what you buy to grass-fed, organic and whatnot b/c the room in the budget will appear. I have a $200 a week budget. After I got comfy with what I was buying, shopped around and realized how little I was eating, my weekly grocery fare was only $90 or so. I have since started adding organic stuff or buying stuff to free to fill the rest of the budget. It's all a learning game, really.

Your daughters are so sweet. Your title jumped at me and made me feel sad b/c my husband is 6'1" and weighs 320 lbs. I can imagine someone saying this to my boy, except instead of telling them to leave, he'd probably punch them (he's 5 and doesn't put up with BS very well, despite being a BS dump truck himself...)

Anyhow, I second what everyone here as said. Eat more eggs, add the bacon (I get Farmland Uncured - nitrate and nitrite free - it's CAFO, but fits in my budget right now til I find a pig that fits the guidelines), load up on Kerrygold butter (the stuff is AWESOME!), and don't listen to a single thing people suggest as "tweaks" until you have the program down per the book. And for what it's worth, I eat 3 eggs and 3 slices of bacon every workday. I sometimes skip lunch simply b/c I'm just not hungry. We all get there at some point.

Good luck and welcome to MDA.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    OK, trying something I just made up as I went along.... I saw some video on here about putting veggies in meatloaf... so this is my version:

3 pounds of meatloaf mix
    2 eggs
    3 ounces of fresh spinach
    4 handfuls of Mexican cheese blend..... I made my own from the cheeses I had.
    2 cups of broccoli slaw mix
    1 red pepper
    1 small onion
    salt
    pepper
    garlic

I put all the non meat ingredients in my food processor and zapped them until almost smooth.... I left some texture. I hand mixed everything together in a big bowl. I formed it into a loaf, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees. I imagine it will take an hour to cook, maybe a little more..... I will let you know how it goes.

@ Owly.... when I tweaked the cookie recipe, mostly all I did was add extra pumpkin spices.... and it's a good thing I did, or the cookies would have been even more bland. I probably also put a wee bit more vanilla in it, as I love vanilla.

OK, back to the meatloaf, and someone gave me this idea: Scrap the pan juices over some salad, put the meatloaf on the salad, and then, the killer part...... Put a fried egg, over easy, over the meat / salad combo..... and the yolks become your "dressing"....... that just sounds awesome!
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 09-27-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lol, no worries, it was a metaphor. You know how to cook, so you can play with things to make them work for you and don't need to strictly follow a recipe. You are just learning primal, so you should do primal according to the "recipe" (i.e. PB book). The people who do stuff like fasting are doing the equivalent to changing the spices to suit them.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast