Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 5

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    BTW, I added a new goal...... the day I can start a new journal called "Your dad is NOT so fat!"
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to talk my hubby into getting a Vitamix, but they're so dang expensive now! One of these days my old Oster will give up the ghost and then I'll get the Vitamix!

Now, off to plan something really gooey and/or hard to "test" the Oster on...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I broken our mixer trying to chop up nuts....

Now I use the food processor for that.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I'm trying to talk my hubby into getting a Vitamix, but they're so dang expensive now! One of these days my old Oster will give up the ghost and then I'll get the Vitamix!

Now, off to plan something really gooey and/or hard to "test" the Oster on...

explain it to him this way.... it should last 20 years, and it can do so much more than a regular blender...... That's just $20 a year, or just about 19 cents a day to make you happy.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Day 3 - 9.26.12

Before I head back to bed.... ( dogs are outside )..... yay, the bathroom trips are done, as expected.... and last night I changed my bandage, and definite improvement, tho my wife wants me to go get stitches.... I think I can get by without them.. I'm looking forward to attempting to cook today. If I can, I am going to make and try butternut squash soup today for the first time ever.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I've enjoyed reading through your journal. We have a lot in common. What really started me to take serious steps was the birth (I was 45) of my son Davy. I've got older boys (23 and 21). Becoming a father at age 45, and at nearly 300lbs has been a real challenge. To make it more challenging, he is very athletic and would be happiest playing sports all. Day. Long. Ugh...

When he was just six he asked me to go outside and play with him and I said I didn't feel well (I rarely felt well). He asked me what was wrong and I told him honestly that I was too fat and it hurt me to run, around like he did. He thought about it for a few seconds and said, "Well, why don't you stop eating so many bad foods, then you don't have to be fat and you can come out and play with me?" He said it in such a loving, childish, and non-judgemental way that it really hit home.

I had a few false starts, but managed to struggle my way down to 275 conventionally before starting with PB. It's working and I have enough energy to play with him more and more. Recently he said, "you're not so fat anymore" :-)

About the high cost of eating Primally, if you can get a chest freezer, you can buy grass fed beef by the quarter and pork by the side at real savings. Mine works out to be about $5.00/lb. As for organic vegetables, they are expensive no matter where you get them. I try to search out local farms, not so much to save money, but because it makes me happier to support people who are trying to make a difference against huge agribusiness. Shake the hand that feeds you, so they say.

I once read a statistic that Americans spend 10% of their income on food, the rest of the world it is closer to 20-25%. Our agriculture has been heavily subsidized by the government for a generation, so we've become used to cheap (relatively) food. Eating Primally requires sourcing food from suppliers that do not benefit from these subsidies.

Think of the cost as very low cost health insurance.

Best of luck!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    explain it to him this way.... it should last 20 years, and it can do so much more than a regular blender...... That's just $20 a year, or just about 19 cents a day to make you happy.
    Hubby's an aircraft mechanic, so he totally understands quality and buying things that last forever! Right now, though, he says, "But the one we have works just fine!" Of course, I'm the one scraping and fiddling with it, not him! (And funny how he didn't protest when I bought him a new Ducati motorcycle when he already had a BMW motorcycle... --Although he deserved it!)

Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    About the high cost of eating Primally, if you can get a chest freezer, you can buy grass fed beef by the quarter and pork by the side at real savings. Mine works out to be about $5.00/lb. As for organic vegetables, they are expensive no matter where you get them. I try to search out local farms, not so much to save money, but because it makes me happier to support people who are trying to make a difference against huge agribusiness. Shake the hand that feeds you, so they say.

I once read a statistic that Americans spend 10% of their income on food, the rest of the world it is closer to 20-25%. Our agriculture has been heavily subsidized by the government for a generation, so we've become used to cheap (relatively) food. Eating Primally requires sourcing food from suppliers that do not benefit from these subsidies.

Think of the cost as very low cost health insurance.

Best of luck!
    ^ This. I buy 1/4 a cow for hubby and I, it lasts us almost a year, and cost comes to about $2.75 per pound; cheaper than the cheap ground beef in the commissary! I've also found that shopping at local farmer's markets really isn't that much more expensive for veg and fruit than the regular stuff. It seems to last longer, too. You might want to see if you have a local CSA, that's a good way to save money.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome Primal Papa. Yes, read the book or Primal 101 AND eat as much Primal food as you need to keep you satisfied. Good Luck!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, Primal Papa!

I just finished reading your journal - fun! And welcome to the MDA!

Yes, Wegmans rocks - I got used to one of their fancier flagship models in NJ and then moved to the wilds of rural Ohio... sigh.

Your kids ARE awesome if they stick up for you, for politeness, and for having the courage to send a potential friend packing - at their young ages! That makes all of you awesome - them for their character, and you and the wife for raising them that well! (I have four daughters)

The catering kitchen thing sounds great - my Second (second-oldest daughter - I number them here on the MDA like in those old Charlie Chan movies) wants to be a chef, and her heroes all come from the Food Network - not the TV/movie/music industry. Well, except for Chris Hemsworth as Thor... (which I personally don't disagree with )

Yeah, I agree with everybody else - buy and read Mark's books first. There are so many folks here living with so many things to heal or deal with that they kind of collectively tweak in all different directions, and that gets confusing.

Sorry about the implant - I sport one. The implant is awesome - the process wasn't. I got impatient with all the healing times, necessary as they were.

Philly, eh? I miss the Philly Flower Show. Hope your day goes very well indeed, and I'll check back soon!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    While she was rude, she was also very much correct. I am 5 foot 5, and about 285 pounds. I have never been thin in my entire life - not even as a kid. In 1999, I dropped about 80 pounds through RELENTLESS exercise. I was biking about 75 miles a week, and spending another 10 - 15 hours a week in the gym. I was obsessed with losing weight. It wasn't really a good time for me. Every single day that I didn't work out, I beat myself up over it. I was not mentally healthy, I am sure. I got down to about 200 pounds. ( My highest ever was 326 pounds ).

Anyway, I have decided that I need a lifestyle change again. I need to adjust my diet, and get back to the gym, without becoming obsessed again. I'm going to start slowly, and start tomorrow, on September 24th, 2012.

Hey there, I just wanted to share with you that I had the EXACT same experience, except that it wasn't a little girl, it was an adult man with schizophrenia. He called me a "slightly overweight middle aged divorced woman." Ha ha. The use of the word "slightly" was him being polite. After he said that, I knew he was right, and I did relentless exercise and dieting to get it off. Went on a low carb, low cal, low fat diet. All veggies, all the time, no meat, no fat. Rode my bike 3000 feet elevation up and down every day. Ran up to 5 miles a day. I got the weight off, but I got severe depression. Eventually it all came back because my diet went back to normal and the exercise stopped working.

This time around, lots of fat, plenty of calories, plenty of meat, much less exercise but still plenty since I like it, I have no depression, I've gotten the weight off and I feel great. This diet is way more effective, satisfying and health-restoring. You are going to succeed this time around.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast