Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 44

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with naiadknight. If they're going in many different directions and need to be able to contact you for a ride or to let you know that the volleyball practice is running late, then a non-smartphone might be a good idea. I don't even like the ability to text; if they need to contact you, they can call and talk real-time, or leave a voicemail.

My kids were adults before smartphones were invented. *I* didn't even have a cell phone when they were teenagers. You know what? We managed just fine, even in emergencies.

And I'm not sure it's entirely about whether you can trust them now, and not trust them when they're older. There are a lot of nasty people out there who take advantage of kids, no matter what age the kids are. Smartphones have built-in GPS and a halfway techy-intelligent stalker can use that to track down someone.

Your kids will probably think you're mean, but mine did, too (over other topics). Now that they're adults they understand good work ethics, appreciate what they have to work for themselves, and they thank me for having been a Mean Mom.

You might tell them that when they get older and demonstrate both actual NEED and responsibility, then MAYBE you'll consider getting them phones/smartphones. And conversely, phones can be taken away as punishment for infractions, AFTER they've proven they're responsible enough to have them.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Then again, I have no kids yet, so take it as you will.
    The average kid with a phone that texts, has 3000 texts a month. Kids today would rather text than talk.... you have to trust me on that one. It's a fact. My kids don't even know the phone numbers of their friends, but they sure as hell know their text numbers. Personally, I HATE texting. I believe it is a curse to humanity, as it severely curtails the ability to communicate.... but w/o texting, kids today would be left out, almost like an outcast. I have to MAKE my kids call people.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    My personal opinion-- I think 11 is too young for cell phones. I don't see a good reason for it. I also don't think children need to have something just because they want it and everyone else seems to have it.

I have 3 kids. My son and I got a cell phone at the same time. He was 16 and had just got his driver's license. My daughters (twins) got his hand me down phone, to share, 2 years later. They were 14 and walking to/from school. My daughters got their own phones when they got their licenses, again at 16.

My son's first phone had text message privileges until he abused that privilege. After that texting wasn't an option for him until he got his own phone. My daughters got texting privileges at 16 and iphones almost 2 years ago. They were 21.

Well, my choice really is not whether they should have a phone, to be honest. I do think them having a phone is a good idea.... the real question is whether they get a smartphone.

To an above poster.... No you can't get a smartphone w/o a data package.

BTW, I know I am different than most of you. I am a tech geek.....

22 years working in TV
    1 year in radio
    electronics sales in retail
    A DJ since I was 14 years old
    Managed an AV department for a convention center
    My first computer was a Commodore VIC 20. I think it could display 8 or 16 colors, LOL. It used 5.25" floppy discs.
    I have owned a VCR back when a VCR cost over $500.

I'm a tech geek, and have raised my kids with lots of tech.
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 11-18-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Our 2 youngest share a cell phone and our oldest had one until she became an idiot so I make all 3 share one and may keep it that way. The younger 2 need the phone just because of their activities.
    Georgette

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    Well, my choice really is not whether they should have a phone, to be honest. I do think them having a phone is a good idea.... the real question is whether they get a smartphone.

To an above poster.... No you can't get a smartphone w/o a data package.
    Why would any 11 year old NEED a smartphone?

There are a lot of horrible people in this world. I am aware of someone who pretended to be a teenager just to have very inappropriate "relationships" via tech gadgets with very young girls such as yours. Is getting them what they want worth the possible risk?

Only you can decide.

I never said they NEEDED a smartphone, did I?

While I do have concerns about such relationships, that already can happen on our home PC, on their iTouch, or at someone else's house..... Should I lock them in a dungeon til they are 18?
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

geostump is offline Senior Member
    You have to have a level of trust with your kids. If you don't they'll never make it on their own. Besides, there are ways to go through their phones without them knowing.
    Georgette

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Okay, what lessons are you teaching them about financial responsibility? Over $200 a month JUST for cell phones? Yikes.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    PP, you know your kids/your finances/your preferences better than anyone. Do what you feel is right re: getting them a phone or not. I'm kind of surprised about the piling on here. I don't have kids, so I won't offer any advice beyond my general grouchiness about how many kids have smartphones at a really young age. Some kids do great with having responsibilities like that, some don't.

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast