Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good stuff.

Breakfast was definitely the hardest meal for us to 'solve' when we made the switch to primal, since EVERYTHING we had been eating before was a cereal.

Now breakfast is just another meal to us. There's nothing wrong with eating a stir fry at breakfast, just like you would eat at dinner.

A common newbie mistake is to overeat on fruit and nuts (and nut pastes etc). Some nuts is fine, but don't eat three scoops a day since they are typically very high in O6.

I think that for your initial goals, you should just focus on getting the 'bad' foods out of the hosue (wheat, white sugar, vegetable oils) and go on a journey of discovery to find out a bunch of go to recipes. And yeah, your vegetable purchasing is going to go through the roof.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Here's some stuff you should watch. It isn't just self discipline. It's knowledge of knowing what to do and foods to avoid
    uctv prime the skinny on obesity The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Prime - UCTV - University of California Television

That fat switch by Dr R Johnson MD
    The Fat Switch Book | Weight Control Guide - Mercola.com
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I have been making a frittata sort of thing for breakfasr just about every day and that keeps us full until dinnertime. I cook, in butter or coconut oil, mushrooms, peppers, onions, some sort of greens and meats and add eggs when it is cooked and put it under the broiler to set the eggs. Sometimes I top it with cheese, sometimes I don't. We aren't hungry for hours after that.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    Oops didn't realize you already had a journal!!

Your kids sound adorable!

I actually always eat bacon and eggs for brekkie (I think I have a slight addiction to bacon). There's a book full of recipes that I'm going to give a try called Practical Paleo. It seems good for newbies.
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    So, tonight, hand all bandaged up, I really couldn't cook... So dinner was 2 links of Hot Italian Sausage. I know that primal isn't Atkins, but I get the same thoughts...... "Man, that sausage is not healthy for you."
    Congrats on your first full day!!! That's great!

As Magicmerl mentioned, focus on this first part of the switch on educating yourself and cleaning the kitchen of unhealthy oils and processed stuff that can kill you. I think where Atkins & the Primal Blueprint differ is that Primal eating is a more holistic approach to eating and living than Atkins ever was.

I think you'll fall in love with the laid-back approach that Mark take's to this whole thing.

Here's a part 1 of a video I watched a few weeks ago. It's about fats and really blows your mind. Enjoy:

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Day 2: 9.25.12

It was a rough night.... Hand was sore for most of the night, and as expected, I spent a lot of the night in the bathroom. This happens all the time if I cut carbs. At least no headaches tpday.

OK, so day 2 started like yesterday.... eggs and red peppers... but today I added some cheese. I won't be doing that much, but I need to get groceries so I have stuff to eat. I estimate 50 bucks on veggies today alone.

I also have a business meeting today. I am meeting a real estate agent to see if I want to rent an ex produce store for a business I want to start - a rental kitchen for caterers. Now, most people think that means that I rent out pots, pands and the like.... Well, yes, and no. What it really is, is that I will supply a fully stocked commercial kitchen to rent to caterers. They come in and cook in my commercial kitchen. They can also rent dry storage space, rent pots and pans, and rent things like lockers and cold storage. I may also decide to sell certain items.... like fresh bulk spices, flour....... and then you can charge them buy the month if they use the kitchen a ton, or by the hour if they don't need much time.

Anyway, right after that meeting, I will go grocery shopping..... and load up on some good primal stuff.

Someone said I need to clear out non primal stuff from my home... well that would be nice, but I have a family that has no intention of eating primal, so all the stuff I wish I could throw away, stays. It is OK tho, because once I get enough of my stuff in the house, it will be easier to avoid their stuff.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

hunneme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Pop,

I have a family who won't play primal as much as I do (plus I get the job of making my SO pancakes...). They do eat a more modified primal diet thanks to me, but won't go whole hog. The first few days for me was tough, watching my man eating ice cream and all, but I've noticed over time that the craving just isn't there anymore.

They don't realize some of the small changes that have been happening to their diet, so I hold hope.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! Just wanted to offer some words of encouragement. Sounds like you are hanging on despite all the challenges!

A couple thoughts:

You are probably going to go through carb withdrawal as your body adjusts. Bottom line, you might feel like crap for a bit. It is counterintuitive, but put salt (natural sea salt, not Morton's iodized) on all your meals. This will help your kidneys flush out all the stuff in your system. Are you worried about salt and blood pressure? Our body retains a significant amount of fluid to metabolize the carbohydrates that we eat. One of the benefits of primal is a decrease in all that retained fluid, and a drop in blood pressure. Often that is one of the first benefits of this program a person can see. Drink to satisfy thirst, but don't chug water simply for the sake of chugging water. Sounds like you were drinking a lot of coffee before, so your body will need something to make up that fluid intake.

Second, much of my success in the beginning relied on having foods that I could 'grab and go' that were primal friendly, or knowing what to order/eat when I was out or at a business lunch.

Breakfast:

Make a breakfast fritatta one day: Bunch of eggs (10-12), cooked breakfast meat, veggies of choice like spinach, mushrooms, peppers. For a protein kick mix in some cottage cheese. Pour all into a greased 9x9 pan, top with cheese, and bake at 375 until set, maybe 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into squares. Then freeze in a bag. When breakfast time rolls around, grab one square, nuke until hot. Enjoy! The good thing is this can be eaten anywhere.

Alternatively, I will make a bunch of hamburger sliders and grab them for breakfast.

Lunch: You can't go wrong with a big salad, topped with some kind of meat. You could even grab a serving of the fritatta/sliders and bring them to work with you.

Be sure to get as much rest as possible. Your body is going through a transition, and it is going to feel uncomfortable for a while. Stick with it and results will come.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowcarbjas View Post
    Oops didn't realize you already had a journal!!

Your kids sound adorable!

I actually always eat bacon and eggs for brekkie (I think I have a slight addiction to bacon). There's a book full of recipes that I'm going to give a try called Practical Paleo. It seems good for newbies.
    I with you! My Mimi fed me pork and eggs every morning when I was younger and I never get tired of it. I eat it every single day. It a good HFLC meal and gives me tons of energy. I also used to eat grits every morning...obviously I don't do that anymore lol
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I know all about the low carb flu.... I don't get the headaches, but I do go through a ROUGH body flushing... and I do mean rough. I had to interrupt my business meeting today so I could go flush out some more. One thing that helps me get past that is that I get immediate side effects of a positive kind - when I low carb, my heartburn goes away almost immediately.. It's nice to not need a Prilosec.

I eat bacon and I love it. I would eat it everyday. I am on BP medication, which keeps me down around 120 / 75. Without medication, I am at about 150 / 90. I don't want to eat a lot of bacon, but I will eat some.

I think life is different when you have had, or have major health issues. I had heart bypass surgery in 2007, and have diabetes. But I do feel mostly great. Now if I could only get in shape enough so I could get back involved with team sports. I miss playing volleyball and softball. And now that one of my daughters plays softball, she want me to practice with her. I can't wait until I can do that.

BTW, I will go to the recipe zone, or look on the internet, but what do you put in your primal stuffed peppers? That is one thing I will miss.... I love rice filled stuffed peppers. I just need a decent replacement..... I am thinking maybe "riced" cauliflower....
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast