Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 26

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    So, this has nothing to do with primal.... but I need a place to vent.

We have this young girl who lives next to us. She is one of only 2 girls in our development that are my twins age. She is just plain annoying. I know, as I have witnessed her being annoying way too many times to count. And she can have a mean streak.

I won't get into specifics, but she was really mean to my one daughter on one day.... way more than usual. So, both of my daughters have decided that they didn't want to play with her anymore, as did the other girl my daughters age. Effectively it left her with nobody to play with in the development. And for about 6 weeks nobody did play with her. And you could see that she was miserable. By my way of thinking, she brought it on herself by her nasty actions.

Backtracking, I have tried to encourage my kids to make this work with this girl because we are next door neighbors, but it never works... the girl will be fine after people tell her she's nasty, but then she gets nasty again, eventually. So, the kids in the neighborhood generally avoid her. That said, I didn't force my kids to play with this girl, but I encouraged it for the sake of being good neighbors.

Well, after this last event, I told both of my kids that I am totally fine if they never play with this girl ever again, but they can't be rude to her.

My wife says the girl's mom is no longer friendly towards my wife. But that isn't a big deal; I have come to learn that many people do not get along with this woman. In fact, it is so bad, that literally, as adults, many of the women in my development won't attend an event if this woman is there. That's rather sad, IMO.

Anyway, the young girl came over today wanting to play with my kids. And I told the girl that "my kids don't have any intentions of playing with you again, because they think you are too mean to them." She said "OK, whatever." and walked away.

I probably should not have said anything, but I decided that someone had to make it clear to her that her actions have consequences. I didn't think that talking with her parents would make much difference.

I just have this feeling I should have just stayed out of it, but I really would prefer if my kids stay away from this girl. I honestly believe that one day she is going to annoy someone to the point where there will be violence, and I don't want my kids there if it happens.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Sadly it sounds like she has learned that from her mother. My heart breaks for kids like that because they really don't get it. They are just modeling what they are taught. That said, your girls are your girls. You can't sacrifice them. All you can do is let the girl know her actions do have consequences. And pray that she will change and be happy.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Tonight was pretty good for dinner.... I had a big rib-eye and a large amount of homemade Palak Paneer. I know we need fat, but I just can't eat those huge chunks of fat that you find on a rib-eye, but I think the steak has plenty in the marbling. I also took the TINIEST of cheats..... I made 12 large banana muffins with bananas that were going bad. I was planning to give them all away, so I took 1 SMALL bite, to taste them, and I fed the rest to my dogs. They were absolutely delicious, though....

This better all work, or I am up the creek w/o a paddle if my blood work numbers skyrocket.... but I am feeling good about my chances... YES, I eat more meat, and eggs, but I basically have ZERO of anything processed / or with sugar except a little it of homemade BBQ sauce. My wife can't believe that I haven't touched bread, pasta, or junk foods since I started this... So, at the very least, I think it should all balance out. I know it has been good for my diabetes.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

OK, so today starts week 4..... I feel good about staying on plan. I'm going to hit the YMCA today. I was chatting with my wife about whether I will stay on plan on Thanksgiving Day.... My answer was "mostly". I *must* have my green bean casserole or it it just isn't Thanksgiving. I can skip the pies. I can skip the gravy and the stuffing, but I will not skip my green bean casserole. I know that sounds dumb, but we only make it on Thanksgiving, and I am going to have some. Life isn't worth living if you can NEVER enjoy a favorite food.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There was a boy in my neighbourhood growing up who was like that. He used to be an awful bully and would do things like throw snowballs at my dog (the most gentle creature ever) when I took her for walks in the morning. The kid was just like his dad--the father was known as the neighbourhood jerk and was absolutely hated by the whole community. Worse, he was a city police officer who used that as a way to intimidate and push people around. It wasn't a surprise the kid was awful when you looked at the example he had.

As for the green bean casserole, you can make an exception for a holiday treat. It's when treats turn into daily things that you have a problem. You might also look at ways to make your gravy gluten free using a starch thickener instead of flour so that you can indulge a little in that too. Not much you can do about bread stuffing though--I make one with rice instead, but I've done that for years because I'm a celiac, and not every family is going to accept that change to the traditional meal.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    I can skip the pies.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Another really tasty way to have green beans is to saute bacon and onion until the onion is caramelized and toss it all together with the beans. I'm not suggesting you replace your favorite green bean casserole but do give it a try sometime. Brussel sprouts are also tasty that way.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I love my green beans and brussels mixed with bacon and onion. soooo yummy! But I also like green bean casserole. I agree about the starch instead of flour for the gravy. I used arrowroot starch or tapioca starch, but for what it's worth, I grew up on gravy made from cornstarch, so it wasn't a huge leap for me to switch starches.

The girl: I'm glad you said something to her. But I'm afraid she's probably going to say something to her parents which could result in the parents confronting you. Hopefully not. Like everyone else has said, she's learned this from her mom. Unlearning it will be hard work and will only happen if the mom stops being a complete jerk too. Good luck with that. The good news is, though, that your twins have each other. My kids are 3 years apart and don't play together much b/c they are so far off from each other developmentally. Your girls, much to their benefit, have a best friend for life.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!

Today is weigh in day. And the scale says I am up 6 pounds in one week! I don't count calories,but I know how many calories I eat, pretty much.... 2000 - 2500 a day. And I exercise some, too. I know I don't cheat on primal ( minus that one single bite of banana bread )..... so what the heck is up with that???? Matter of fact, 6 pounds in LESS than a week, since I weighed in on a day I shouldn't have. This seems almost impossible unless I was eating 7000 calories a day over the last several days, and I have not.

Sigh... so pissed and depressed right now.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Not much you can do about bread stuffing though--I make one with rice instead, but I've done that for years because I'm a celiac, and not every family is going to accept that change to the traditional meal.
    Bull crap. I'm a celiac, and I've made bread stuffing every year since I went GF. You just get several loaves of GF bread, let it dry out until it's brittle, then use it the same way you would regular bread.

ETA: Plus I'm fairly certain that one of the local hippie-marts was carrying a GF stuffing mix last year.
    Last edited by Twibble; 10-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 26 of 57 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast