Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 23

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    PP,

My husband, like your wife, is also not totally on board with the Primal Blueprint. I can not tear him away from his cereal+fruit and 1/4 bagel in the morning, although he does now include some sort of protein (usually leftover meat from dinner). On weekends, he'll gladly eat eggs when I cook them after he's had his cereal+fruit and 1/4 bagel.

Lunch for both of us is "DIY", do-it-yourself, weekdays or weekends. I know he eats out a lot with coworkers, although he has mentioned getting an "unsandwich" with lettuce leaves instead of bread. I have managed to transition him from peanut butter crackers to nuts for daytime snacks.

Dinner we make together and it's always 100% primal. But then he has to have his ice cream (I make it homemade with coconut milk and honey or maple syrup sweetener), popcorn, red licorice, gummy bears... I can't sit with him and watch TV in the evenings because I'm either too tempted or too grossed out by his junk food!

He knows about the advantages of eating primally. When he started coming over to the primal side the beginning of the summer, he needed to lose about 20 pounds, and he's lost about 10 without trying. I don't think he'll lose much more, unless it happens very, very slowly. Being within 10 pounds of his ideal weight is fine with him, and he's healthy by all the medical measurements--blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. The only medication he takes is Coumadin (a blood thinner) because of a genetic defect that makes him very susceptible to blood clots (we had a scare with 4 days in ICU re: blood clots).

I never pushed primal blueprint on him. A couple times a week I give him 2 or 3 sentence "infomercials" about the latest I've read on MDA. I Netflix'd "Fat Head" and told him it was a documentary comedy, and he enjoyed watching it with me.

He doesn't sabotage my primal activities... and I don't really think that your wife cooking skinless chicken breasts is "sabotage". You can easily add a glob of butter to your veg to make up for the fat-free content of the chicken!

When it comes to the adults in our lives, we have to let them make their own choices, even if they're not good ones. Of course we all want our loved ones to eat and move healthy and enjoy a long life with us. If there's any chance to get your wife to be more primal, you have to accept her choices, and maybe get her to make small changes. Let her keep her oatmeal or granola, but see if you can get her to substitute part of it for some kind of protein; maybe a hard boiled egg. Does she go dancing with you? If not, that would be a good primal activity to get her involved in.

Most people are very resistant to change, so it has to be done in small increments, and as easily as possible. Keep up what you're doing, and gradually she may join you on the plan!

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    I just want to take a moment and say thanks.... you folks, and this site do make it easier.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    last night I started to talk to my wife about Primal. It is true that she had no real clue about how this works, so I explained it as best as I could.OK, at that point she said that she would try it..... but quickly changed her mind when I told her that meant her morning bowl of oatmeal or granola would be out if she really wanted to follow the plan. At that point she said " I don't know if I can do that".
    I wouldn't die in a ditch over the oatmeal. Our kids rebelled when we started on primal because of breakfast (we were alternating bacon/eggs and soups as the breakfast alternatives). So we caved on the breakfasts, and they eat primal at other times. Currently, our eldest is eating primal bacon and eggs, while our middle girl is a porridge fiend, and our youngest is still big on ricies. It's not the end of the world (corrupt her by convincing her to have it with cream...)
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

So. I went to to the supermarket today to pick up chicken wings..... and I was shocked at the price! They were double the price of skin on thighs. So, I bought the thighs. I guess all the bars that serve chicken wings have driven up the cost of them. I remember when wings were almost considered "trash", and they sold for half the cost of other chicken parts.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

You know, I think the real issue at the moment - and it will always be an issue - is that in her job, the company brings lunch in several days a week, or they go out to lunch with clients. There is rarely a day where she prepares - and eats - a lunch from home. And they tend to go to the Italian restaurant that is 2 blocks from the office.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Yeah, that's pretty hard. I think I'd have to shoot for just gluten free in that sort of situation.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

OK, so I made mention before that I play World of Warcraft - an online game..... so I was chatting with somone and I found out that she eats primal. OK, I get it..... fat is not a bad thing, but this woman kinda made me want to wretch, just based on taste, when she told me that she drinks the fat from when she bakes chicken.... and it can be up to a cup of fat......

SHUDDER!
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Hot fat is awesome. I'm hungry now. Time for dinner.

Azure is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    OK, so I made mention before that I play World of Warcraft - an online game..... so I was chatting with somone and I found out that she eats primal. OK, I get it..... fat is not a bad thing, but this woman kinda made me want to wretch, just based on taste, when she told me that she drinks the fat from when she bakes chicken.... and it can be up to a cup of fat......

SHUDDER!
    That would definitely have me gagging. I've tried downing a spoon of coconut oil and almost got sick.

Glad to hear it was just your wife no understanding how it works, rather than trying to keep you from losing weight.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I play WoW too! On Shadowsong.

I pour the fat onto my veggies, sometimes, but it makes my joints hurt.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast