Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: "Your dad is so fat".... Primal Papa's Journal. page 10

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I notice I wash more dishes too.

I have never heard of a rental kitchen so I have no ideas for you. Great idea if there is a market for it. We have very few caterers around here (that I know of, I guess) and most of them are linked with a grocery store or a restaurant and use the grocer's kitchen or the restaurant's kitchen.

Best of luck to you with this new adventure! And congrats on the awesome weight loss so far! You'll reach your goals... but remember, weight is something we can quite honestly NOT control b/c there are other uncontrolable factors in play (water retention, hormone fluctuations, etc), so even if you're not at 260 by November 1, that's no reason to assume this isn't for you. I think you can do this regardless of what you weight on November 1.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Re: the picture. You're a very handsome guy! And your daughters are beautiful and so sweet looking. Cherish them.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Re: the picture. You're a very handsome guy! And your daughters are beautiful and so sweet looking. Cherish them.
    LOL, nobody has said that to me since I was married in 1999, and very few times before that, so thanks! And my kids are indeed, awesome.

OK, so I went to the library today, and a book by Rob Wolf came in for me... still none of the PB books, but they say they should be in by next week. I plan to read the PB books, and possibly one other author, and sort of formulate my game plan, based on what looks and feels right for me.

It's 3:18 PM, and I have no idea what to make yet for dinner. I probably should have had that figured out by now.

You know, I have been complaining about the cost of being primal, but I was just thinking that we would go out to dinner most every Friday and / or Saturday, and I can tell that we won't be doing that nearly as often, so, that means $60 = $125 a week savings, most weeks. Right there is more than the extra amount I spend on primal foods.... I only hope my wife doesn't complain about not going out to eat so much. And actually, she really shouldn't. In her job, she takes customers out to lunch at least once a week, or has lunch brought in for customers at least once a week. Personally, I don't enjoy going out to eat so much. ( I have relatives who eat about 10 meals a week in restaurants, even though both of them work from home! )

Today was the first time I felt H U N G R Y! And I was not anywhere where I could find food. As soon as I got home I ate 2 pumpkin cookies that I made..... hopefully that gets me through until dinner without more hunger pains.

I know people say not to count calories..... and I don't actually count them, but for the most part, I can look at a plate of food and pretty much know about how many calories are on the plate, and because of that, I look at my portion sizes, and I find myself eating far smaller portions, even if I know I will likely be hungry later on. I was trying not to have a snack after 9PM, but every night I still feel like I need one.

My doctor gave me a simple rule of thumb about how many calories people need in a day... a 275 pound person needs about 2750 calories a day to stay at the same weight if they are sedentary..... a 140 pound person would need about 1400 calories a day.

I'm still having mental battles about eating more fat than I am used to. I know that fat has more calories than protein or carbs.... I am probably having a worse battle than most, having had heart bypass surgery. That's one reason I am spending so much time on this site. Reading what other people say is - hopefully - going to get me past this.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress. My dad had a heart attack last year just before Thanksgiving. He's not primal/paleo, but he's lost at least 30 pounds since then. He's very active, bikes several times a week to work (I think it's a 9 mile trip, one way) when the weather allows. I'm still hoping he'll give paleo a shot and cut out the grain/go back to eating more meat. He eats plenty of fish, but he's also eating tofu and fake meats
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

PP, Go ahead and read Robb's book. I haven't yet simply b/c I don't have the book yet, but plan to. I've heard it's really good and enlightening... and quite honestly, they all really say the same thing (don't tell them I said that) anyway so I think you'll be ok to start with Robb's book. A lot of people do. And if I remember correctly, he used to be a chemist or a biologist so he'd be a reliable source... wait, I think he was a biochemist... either way, reliable source.

Eat when hungry, eat til full, stop eating. That's all you need to know regarding calories right now. Eat the right foods when you're hungry until you are not anymore. The rest falls into place.

I tend not to get to MDA much on the weekends, so have a nice one!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf's book is excellent and probably more closely aligns with the way I eat these days (although my dairy intake has crept up). I like his for the dietary stuff and explanations, but I like Mark's emphasis on the whole lifestyle outside of just food and exercise. Robb also supports that aspect, but Mark's primal laws make it clear and simple to understand.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Dinner tonight:

Spring mix of greens
    about 4 - 5 ounces of stew meat, spiced for tacos
    homemade salsa
    hot sauce

Then also, 2 Anaheim chiles stuffed with cheese and 2 slices of cooked bacon... roasted in oven at 450 until the peppers were nice and charred.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Someone on these forums said something that resonated with me "Hunger is not an emergency". Basically there is no need to pack snacks for the drive home. You won't die from the first hunger pangs and you should be okay.

Also, my hubby had a heart attack several years ago. As you read through my journal you'll find what he has gone through with being a cardiac patient and eating like this. HINT. It isn't a bad thing!

The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around was "fat is good". Too many years of CW and "fat is bad".
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

OK, so it is basically midnight here, and I have to go start cooking a breakfast crock pot meal. If anything makes me dump this WOE, it will be all the cooking. I need to start making stuff that can be easily reheated, and still taste good. I love to cook, but this is a bit much.

Breakfast tomorrow:

8 eggs
    1/2 grated sweet potato
    5 ounces of spinach
    3 ounces of cheese
    4 ounces of chorizo
    4 ounces roasted red peppers
    1/2 diced jalapeno
    1/2 diced onion
    Salsa as a garnish
    spices

Of course, I will probably only eat 1/3rd of that, and hopefully it will reheat. Maybe my wife might eat a little....
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 09-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

I am re-posting this from some advice I actually gave to someone in another thread. I am making one of these today:

BTW, may I suggest, googling DIY workout gear, or similar.... There are lots of things you can make that are really awesome, and not so expensive..... Like here is one...

Get a 5' - 7' long piece of PVC pipe. Cap one end so it is waterproof. Fill it 2/3 full with water and cap the other end. Most people use 2" PVC. This is called a "Swoosh bar". Basically you use it like a barbell, but the motion of the water makes it an entirely different animal.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013

Your Dad is So Fat

Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast