Thread: Need advice on " lethargy and depressed mood" page

nickd is offline Junior Member

Need advice on " lethargy and depressed mood"

Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum every week for a year. I could really use some advice on something....

The problem: I get about 2 weeks into no sugar, no grains and I get past the "hump" of tiredness and initial cravings but feel like my brain needs dopamine or something and I literally eat bad just to improve my mood! I've been repeating this cycle for a year.

My year...
    I started a year ago losing 45 pounds on the terrible HCG diet and then gained 20 pounds back. I went 42 days with 500 calories a day on two seperate occasions to lose that weight. Back then, when my mood was bad I knew it was because of that wacky diet.

I then discovered marksdailyapple and I went primal with no problems until I fell off the wagon with lots of bad food and much beer and such. I get back on the wagon and am very strict and then I find my mood and personality very "low". I'm thinking " Im low on adreneline" or "dopamine" or my maybe my body is not figuring out how to find insulin from other parts of my body? NEED HELP.

When I'm doing good for a few weeks to a few months here is my day:
    3-4 eggs with hot sauce and veggies and a little feta cheese
    Big Ass Salad with avacodo, oil, beef or chicken, or egg
    8 oz or more of meat and veggie dinner
    Snacks: Almond butter and apples, lots of almonds ( way too many) pistachios, roast beef and cream cheese, cottage cheese, watermelon , sweet potato with butter,

I eat grass fed as much as possible ... probably 70% of the time.

I eat way too much sharp cheddar cheese. I drink a lot of green tea with stevia and I drink a "healthier" version of coffee that is decaf and has ganoderma in it ( a health mushroom that makes the coffee alkaline).

I drink a lot of this coffee and notice no typical toxin feeling or caffeine feeling from it. (has less caffiene than decaf)

I eat a lot of cheese and lot of primal food because Im trying to not eat the bad stuff and use it as an excuse to eat as much primal as needed (except bad on cheese).

Does anyone know if I just need to stick it out and get past it and my body will adjust?
    When I'm eating primal I NEVER cheat and eat sugar or non primal foods ... should I allow a little cheat to help my mood?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

P.s- I DID excercise as prescribed by Mark but the past few months have not as I've been trying to get back on 100% again.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Maybe ease up on the dairy? It's so hard for me to do too, but I tend to feel better when I don't drink milk and eat cheese. You can probably keep the feta with your breakfast and the cottage cheese, just don't eat blocks of sharp cheddar (also a weakness of mine!). Just try it and see if it helps. Is there any other reason you may be down? Sometimes I just get in a funk that's seemingly unrelated to my diet. Are you getting lots of sunshine? I think that helps me more than anything
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Not enough sun and lots of stress could be part of it. I forgot to mention that I'm 34 and 200 pounds at 6 feet. 4 kids and 2 dogs... self employed (causes the stress lately). Also, my family has a history of diabetes and "ADD" issues. Thats why I've been "in to nutrition" over the years. Going to do what I can to avoid those issues.

Also, you are right... cutting the cheese out was part of the plan. Thanks

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Wow! 4 kids and 2 dogs!? I freaked out when my cat (singular) ate my house plant the other day. He apparently didn't want anything alive in the apartment aside from the two of us. I think stress may be a part of it. Stress is exhausting. Good luck to you!! On the bright side it seems it would be fun and easy to get your playtime in with 4 kids
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D helps me a lot, and eating more carbs (of the good sort.)

I might tweak down the cheese and nuts, and throw in some more fruits & veg. Don't be afraid of sugary fruit either. It's not going to kill you. I eat a banana most mornings, and have another piece of fruit somewhere midday. Sweet potatoes, carrots... lots of colorful foods.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    nuts, especially pistachios and cashews, are problematic for many. if you binge on them, get them out of the house.

i find cheese much more manageable with grass-fed varieties. a snack of cafo cheese almost always becomes a binge.

you're a big guy -- are you getting enough protein? other than nuts and cheeses, what about fats?

"lots" of stevia could be causing issues too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Ok so , I bought Vitamin D and B 12 and ate 125 grams of protein yesterday and felt great.

I think that I'm going to focus on adding these things as well as cut out the nuts and cheese

Thanks everyone.