Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Looking for opinions on my new syrup/sweetener.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    207

    Looking for opinions on my new syrup/sweetener.

    Hey there, i'm looking for some opinions on a syrup i bought. It's Sweet Freedom 100% natural fruit syrup. It's made from apples, grapes and carob extracts, and thats it. It's gluten and GMO free, and only 4 grams of carbs per 10g serving. What are your opinions on this as a sweetener for things?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    315
    My opinion...

    What "things" are you sweetening exactly? And, can you learn to enjoy them without a sweetener?

    These are honest questions, because I don't eat anything that needs to be sweetened so I'm unsure what you would use that product for. Sweet tastes trigger certain responses in the brain, even if it isn't sugar you're eating, and while I'm sure the issue is more complex than I'm making it sound, I think the gist is that sugary tastes stimulate the body to want more sugar, thus you might find yourself battling carb-cravings afterward...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    My opinion...

    What "things" are you sweetening exactly? And, can you learn to enjoy them without a sweetener?

    These are honest questions, because I don't eat anything that needs to be sweetened so I'm unsure what you would use that product for. Sweet tastes trigger certain responses in the brain, even if it isn't sugar you're eating, and while I'm sure the issue is more complex than I'm making it sound, I think the gist is that sugary tastes stimulate the body to want more sugar, thus you might find yourself battling carb-cravings afterward...
    I'm planning on using it for things like home-made ice cream, cocomeal etc. i'm not worrying about over-eating, and i never get carb cravings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    it's still fructose...maybe you want to ditch it.
    A lot of people are buying Agave Nectar because it's sold in health food groceries. Agave nectar is higher in fructose (as much as 90% by volume) then High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is about 55%). Fructose is what gives table sugar its sweetness. Compare sugar to a back of dextrose (which is all glucose and not very sweet to the taste). If fruit juice is considered too high in fructose and Dried fruit is also high in fructose why wouldn't this be any different?

    Now, how much are you planning to use? Some a couple times per week is likely fine. Fructose flips the switch getting your metabolism to want to put on fat.
    it's only 4g of carbs a serving, it's not entirely fructose and having 4g of fructose is hardly bad anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Getting the same number of calories from raw organic hippy armpit juice as you originally did from HFCS won't magically make you lose weight.
    first of all i'm not trying to lose weight, and secondly i never ate HFCS...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    207
    I was really looking for opinions on the health side of things, not weight loss. What are peoples opinion on using this? If i only have a serving i won't be having much sugar or fructose.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    MD/VA/DC
    Posts
    1,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    I was really looking for opinions on the health side of things, not weight loss. .
    When your ORIGINAL post just asks for "your opinion" without specifying what type of opinion, don't act so surprised if you get all types of opinions.

    But to answer your question:
    1. You won't be using enough to get any significant nutrition out of it.
    2. If you can handle 4 g of sugar well hell just cut down on sugar somewhere else and call it a day. You don't need to ask permission from strangers on a website.
    3. Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so it's a moot point.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    When your ORIGINAL post just asks for "your opinion" without specifying what type of opinion, don't act so surprised if you get all types of opinions.

    But to answer your question:
    1. You won't be using enough to get any significant nutrition out of it.
    2. If you can handle 4 g of sugar well hell just cut down on sugar somewhere else and call it a day. You don't need to ask permission from strangers on a website.
    3. Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so it's a moot point.
    Yes, i agree, which is why i said i should have specified. But i wasn't asking strangers if i could consume 4g of sugar, i was asking their opinion on the nutrition of the syrup. And i haven't made up my mind, i am strongly considering not eating it now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    When your ORIGINAL post just asks for "your opinion" without specifying what type of opinion, don't act so surprised if you get all types of opinions.

    But to answer your question:
    1. You won't be using enough to get any significant nutrition out of it.
    2. If you can handle 4 g of sugar well hell just cut down on sugar somewhere else and call it a day. You don't need to ask permission from strangers on a website.
    3. Sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so it's a moot point.
    Great post! That's what I was gonna write.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    972
    it's still fructose...maybe you want to ditch it.
    A lot of people are buying Agave Nectar because it's sold in health food groceries. Agave nectar is higher in fructose (as much as 90% by volume) then High Fructose Corn Syrup (which is about 55%). Fructose is what gives table sugar its sweetness. Compare sugar to a back of dextrose (which is all glucose and not very sweet to the taste). If fruit juice is considered too high in fructose and Dried fruit is also high in fructose why wouldn't this be any different?

    Now, how much are you planning to use? Some a couple times per week is likely fine. Fructose flips the switch getting your metabolism to want to put on fat.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,918
    Getting the same number of calories from raw organic hippy armpit juice as you originally did from HFCS won't magically make you lose weight.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    4,851
    it's fruit juice with the water reduced out. it's still sugar.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    – Ernest Hemingway

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •